Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New Winchester 70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Winchester 70

I bought a used Winchester model 70 in 30-06 springfield. Just for kicks-and-giggles I was wanting to know the production date of it. Its in the G237XXXX range, I have yet to find anything...

An Ameture does it until they can get it right, a Pro does it until they can't get it wrong

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Do you know anything about the weapon itself? History, lineage?

If you have a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70, that is the Rifleman's Action and is HEAVILY sought after in the custom rifle build arena.

I know that Winchester used to give you all the first purchase information free of charge if you called them with your serial number. When it was produced, where it was sold, etc. I don't know if they still do that.

When I got my first pre-'64 I was able to call them up and find out mine was sold over the counter out of a Sears & Roebuck ( before Roebuck got 86'd from the picture ). It was a cool piece of history, but then I went ahead and made a tack driving super rifle out of it.

If it's a Pre-'64, I'll take first dibs if you want to sell.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 03-06-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Spelling, because I type faster than I read... Doh!

Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #3

thanks, I found it in a pawn shop that was closing down and immeadly fell in love. I will call and ask about it info, and post it!

An Ameture does it until they can get it right, a Pro does it until they can't get it wrong

Old 03-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #4

Sorry Dillenger its not a pre 64. couldnt find the actual date but I found out that it was produced after 1981

Old 03-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #5

That's okay brother, you still have a really well built action. With a little love and some practice, that rig will take care of you well.

JD

Old 03-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #6

thanks! im saving up for a M40A-1 stock from McMillan, then it will blend with the forrests of western Kentucky. You said you made your 70 "a tack driving super rifle" if your willing to share some wisdom, I'm all ears

Old 03-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #7

Where to start???

Okay, I did a TON of reading on long range shooting, tactical shooting and "factory" loads.

A few books that I can recommend are:

Ultimate Sniper - By John Plaster

Sniper & Sniper 2 - By Mark Lonsdale

Accurizing the Factory Rifle - By McPherson

I learned a ton. Or so I thought.

Then after a ton of research and phone calls, I met my gunsmith who would later become my friend and mentor.

My factory rifle was never intended to stay factory. All along I wanted to do a custom build.

Once I went and knelt before the alter of all that is accuracy, this is what I ended up with....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-308-winchester-tactical-rig-3836/

Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

After I found out that the model 70 was used by Marine snipers in vietnam, i went to the Mcmilan bros. site and found the M40a1 stock, im wanting to do a recreation of the M40 anyway. I will gather knolwage of long range shooting, tactical shooting, and Sniping. I will also look up the tendinices of the 30-06 at long ranges

Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #9

Carlos Hathcock and Chuck Mawhinney both used Winchester Model 70's in .30-06 for their time in Vietnam.

Both of them shot bone stock, heavy barrel "sporter" style rifles, wood stocks and a 10 power fixed Unertl scope.

The .30-06 is a devestating round for game and "other" targets. It has very good range and very good power.

With the Model 70 long action, you have a flat bottomed action that is easy to glass bed and has very good end to end stability.

You should be able to put some work in on that action and make a real fine shooting piece out of it.

Good luck and keep us informed.

JD

Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #10

Carlos Hathcock! Well youve put a smile on my face 10 miles wide 10 power fixed Unertl scope has now been added to my list, im still sore from doing odd jobs for quick cash but now its DEFINITELY woth it! oh PS your work with Gunneys' 45 was amazing! i have an idea of a good heirloom 1911 line but were in a Long gun section of the forum so PM me if you are interested!