New toy!!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New toy!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New toy!!

Will admit, it was a slight impulse buy. But well, I didn't want to of wasted the 3.5hours it took to get to the store.

Started of the day with my eyes set on an AXIS since its a "cheap" rifle that is already scoped and bore sighted. I wasn't to sure what caliber I wanted since I was still stuck between a .223 and a .243.

The reason behind wanting the .223 is that ammunition for it is cheap and plentiful. It's also a real soft shooting caliber (so I've been told) and it would be easier to talk my girl into shooting. It also fit the needs of varmint hunting pretty well too.

The .243 on the other hand is deer legal here and is also a pretty light recoiling round too, I know that since I've shot one a few times. It could also be used on coyote with out causing a lot of unneeded pelt damage surfing the winter months.

After the ride to the first store (Whole Sale Sports) I figured that I was going with the .223 as it'd also give me another excuse to buy yet another rifle later on in my life. After standing around at the desk waiting for someone to help, I figured that 20mins was long enough since the store was closing soon. I asked one of the people to if I could grab a savage axis in .223 and was handed one in .243, figured I'd give t a quick look over and still wanted the .223. That's when I got a little annoyed.

Not only did he walk back over to his computer, but upon returning told me that "we stop firearm sales 15minuites before close as registration takes a while." so that was a wasted trip there.

After walking out we (Girlfriend and friend who offered to drive) remembered that Cabela's didn't close until 6:00. After some GPS troubles, we made it there with all of 6mins to spare. Only down side? The axis was 60.00 more there and I didn't bring enough money for that, also didn't have any chambered for .223 either. That's when this caught my eye. (Rem 770) I know it's gotten bad reviews, but for a first hunting rifle, I figured it would do good.
image-175693236.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
Will admit, it was a slight impulse buy. But well, I didn't want to of wasted the 3.5hours it took to get to the store.

Started of the day with my eyes set on an AXIS since its a "cheap" rifle that is already scoped and bore sighted. I wasn't to sure what caliber I wanted since I was still stuck between a .223 and a .243.

The reason behind wanting the .223 is that ammunition for it is cheap and plentiful. It's also a real soft shooting caliber (so I've been told) and it would be easier to talk my girl into shooting. It also fit the needs of varmint hunting pretty well too.

The .243 on the other hand is deer legal here and is also a pretty light recoiling round too, I know that since I've shot one a few times. It could also be used on coyote with out causing a lot of unneeded pelt damage surfing the winter months.

After the ride to the first store (Whole Sale Sports) I figured that I was going with the .223 as it'd also give me another excuse to buy yet another rifle later on in my life. After standing around at the desk waiting for someone to help, I figured that 20mins was long enough since the store was closing soon. I asked one of the people to if I could grab a savage axis in .223 and was handed one in .243, figured I'd give t a quick look over and still wanted the .223. That's when I got a little annoyed.

Not only did he walk back over to his computer, but upon returning told me that "we stop firearm sales 15minuites before close as registration takes a while." so that was a wasted trip there.

After walking out we (Girlfriend and friend who offered to drive) remembered that Cabela's didn't close until 6:00. After some GPS troubles, we made it there with all of 6mins to spare. Only down side? The axis was 60.00 more there and I didn't bring enough money for that, also didn't have any chambered for .223 either. That's when this caught my eye. (Rem 770) I know it's gotten bad reviews, but for a first hunting rifle, I figured it would do good.
1) congrats on a new rifle. 2) shoulda saved your $ for an axxis which is alot better gun. 3) if you dont like the 770 you can always trade it to some poor shmuck w no clue what they are gettin.....preferably some one you dont like

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Awesome man you finely got one

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

1) congrats on a new rifle. 2) shoulda saved your $ for an axxis which is alot better gun. 3) if you dont like the 770 you can always trade it to some poor shmuck w no clue what they are gettin.....preferably some one you dont like

I know, I was thinking the same thing. I was also wishing I wasnt in such a rush. When we started the paper work, I seen an SKS for 250.00. It's higher then the others I've seen, but ammunition is cheap for plinking.

As for trading it off if I don like it, I'd jut toss it into the auctions here in town. Firearms tend to sell for well above the NiB price for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573
Awesome man you finely got one

Haha I know.....took me a little while though.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:

I know, I was thinking the same thing. I was also wishing I wasnt in such a rush. When we started the paper work, I seen an SKS for 250.00. It's higher then the others I've seen, but ammunition is cheap for plinking.

As for trading it off if I don like it, I'd jut toss it into the auctions here in town. Firearms tend to sell for well above the NiB price for some reason.

If you were farther south....alot farther south id say id trade you something for it. Oh wait all id use it for is beattin bigbutt573 w it

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:

You neeed a sks. It's by far my favorite to shoot. Ammo is cheep too.. 20 rounds for 5 bucks at wally world

Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

If you were farther south....alot farther south id say id trade you something for it. Oh wait all id use it for is beattin bigbutt573 w it

Just so long as its still get some use out of it. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158

You neeed a sks. It's by far my favorite to shoot. Ammo is cheep too.. 20 rounds for 5 bucks at wally world
That's why I was thinking of grabbing one. But walmarts here don't sell 7.62 except for .308 and that's all.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

REALLY!!!!!! now both of you getting me you guy are Jack wagons

Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573
REALLY!!!!!! now both of you getting me you guy are Jack wagons