New toy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New toy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default New toy

I'm looking for a good tactical sniper platform probably in .308 such as the savage 110 ba. I would like to spend around $1,500-1,800. It doesn't really need to be .308 just have ammo easily available preferably in bulk. Good reliability is a must. What are my options.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1406 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 3017

You have a lot of options in that price range. You mentioned "tactical" and "sniper". This is probably just me but I think of tactical and sniper as two different types of rifles. For a sniper rifle I think of a long range rifle with a long barrel and for tactical I think of a short compact barrel more for an urban environment. And that would be the first decision, whether to get something more for long range with a long barrel or something with a shorter barrel for closer distances. For brand I would suggest Remington, but Savage would be a good choice as well. Both companies have models for long range or short.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #3

As in tactical I meant the look and accesaries such as black Polly stock with a cheekrest, bipod, threaded barrel for a silencer......And long rang like 800-100 yards.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1248 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
I'm looking for a good tactical sniper platform probably in .308 such as the savage 110 ba. I would like to spend around $1,500-1,800. It doesn't really need to be .308 just have ammo easily available preferably in bulk. Good reliability is a must. What are my options.
Ibwar15,I have a bunch of Savage rifles,and have shot all 3 calibers of the BA series rifles.They are great rifles,but unless you just have to have that cosmetic look to your rifle,there are better rifles available that will serve you better.
I personally like the 10FCP.You can get it with an H-S Precission stock,a McMillan stock,or if you have a Cabelas close to you,they have an exclusive with a Choate stock.
I have the Choate stocked version,and it's a very accurate rifle.It also isn't awkward to fire freehand like the BA is.The stock on the BA is meant to be shot off a bipod in either a prone position or off a bench.It just doesn't feel right when you try to fire it sitting or standing.

Thre are all kinds of aftermarket stocks available for Savage,and Remington actions.So there's no need in buying a rifle that is complete if you want something different.
You will want to stick with a barrel at least 24" long if your planning on shooting farther than 600 yards.The shorter barrels will loose velocity that is needed to get out to farther ranges with most loads.

The front rifle is a 110FLCP 25/06,and the back is a 10FCP 308,both are in the Choate Tactical stocks.
The 308 has the factory drop magazine,and there are a couple guy's that make extended magazines for the factory bottom metal if you want to hold more than 3 rounds in the mags.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

Ibwar15,I have a bunch of Savage rifles,and have shot all 3 calibers of the BA series rifles.They are great rifles,but unless you just have to have that cosmetic look to your rifle,there are better rifles available that will serve you better.
I personally like the 10FCP.You can get it with an H-S Precission stock,a McMillan stock,or if you have a Cabelas close to you,they have an exclusive with a Choate stock.
I have the Choate stocked version,and it's a very accurate rifle.It also isn't awkward to fire freehand like the BA is.The stock on the BA is meant to be shot off a bipod in either a prone position or off a bench.It just doesn't feel right when you try to fire it sitting or standing.

Thre are all kinds of aftermarket stocks available for Savage,and Remington actions.So there's no need in buying a rifle that is complete if you want something different.
You will want to stick with a barrel at least 24" long if your planning on shooting farther than 600 yards.The shorter barrels will loose velocity that is needed to get out to farther ranges with most loads.

The front rifle is a 110FLCP 25/06,and the back is a 10FCP 308,both are in the Choate Tactical stocks.
The 308 has the factory drop magazine,and there are a couple guy's that make extended magazines for the factory bottom metal if you want to hold more than 3 rounds in the mags.
I'm definitely going to check into those. What is your preference on optics? I would like something with drop and windeg compensater on it. And a good range finder.