new SKS's what now? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

new SKS's what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

well turns out what i though was some sort of compensator or muzzle brake is some sort of grenade launcher thingus, and i only filed the sears engagment a lil bit is it gunna be ok? (well only way of knowing is to shoot it ) anybody know of a good stock for the SKS that wont be really expensive but still ok (synthetic or wood i wouldnt mind ether)

Old 03-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #12

oh and i took the thing apart and looked up serial numbers and looked for markings and i was wrong its a yugoslavian ill post pics after school

Old 03-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #13

file:///Users/adriktibbs/Desktop/Photo%208.jpg

how do u upload pics on a mac?

Last edited by Leavingplatoscomphycave; 03-26-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #14

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Some people are much more brave than myself with their gunsmithing practices. The only thing I would dare take a file to is a front sight. I have even heard of people successfully using a dremel on a feed ramp. But, I would never ever go there. I would never use anything but a good polishing compound and a soft cloth. Maybe that's just me. I spend too much money on this hobby as it is, without damaging any of my guns.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #15

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
well turns out what i though was some sort of compensator or muzzle brake is some sort of grenade launcher thingus, and i only filed the sears engagment a lil bit is it gunna be ok? (well only way of knowing is to shoot it ) anybody know of a good stock for the SKS that wont be really expensive but still ok (synthetic or wood i wouldnt mind ether)
You have to be careful when changing stuff on an sks. If you change your stock you will have to change other stuff too to keep it legal. I bought the Tapco T6 compliance kit. You can find it on midwayusa.com. I bought it with the 20 round mag, 6 position buttstock, pistol grip, forearm and gas piston. It was around $130 for everything. The forearm has a rail on it. I mounted a red dot scope on the forearm. It works great. I like the forward mounted scope because you can aquire you target really fast. If you buy this kit make sure you get the right one for your bayonet set up. There is spike and blade.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10726 Times on 4642 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

OK- a Demel is a high speed rotary power tool. DO NOT USE ONE ON A FIREARM. You can remove metal MUCH easier than you can replace it. In a blink of an eye.

You do NOT want to file fire control parts. You MAY use a hard stone (arkansas) to POLISH surfaces that meet to reduce drag. FILING may get you a sear that will slip under recoil- with a result of either (a) no fire, or (b) full auto fire. If you get (b) expect a visit from the guys in cheap suits with bulges- that don't care that you were trying to improve a trigger pull. You MADE a machinegun.

When cleaning up a trigger/sear, you are polishing surfaces along the SIDES that drag on other parts. On meeting parts (trigger/sear) you must preserve the original angle of engagement. This is best done by an experienced, skilled gunsmith. Done poorly, very BAD ju-ju. Step away from the file......

Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
OK- a Demel is a high speed rotary power tool. DO NOT USE ONE ON A FIREARM. You can remove metal MUCH easier than you can replace it. In a blink of an eye.

You do NOT want to file fire control parts. You MAY use a hard stone (arkansas) to POLISH surfaces that meet to reduce drag. FILING may get you a sear that will slip under recoil- with a result of either (a) no fire, or (b) full auto fire. If you get (b) expect a visit from the guys in cheap suits with bulges- that don't care that you were trying to improve a trigger pull. You MADE a machinegun.

When cleaning up a trigger/sear, you are polishing surfaces along the SIDES that drag on other parts. On meeting parts (trigger/sear) you must preserve the original angle of engagement. This is best done by an experienced, skilled gunsmith. Done poorly, very BAD ju-ju. Step away from the file......

i didnt take that much off the sear just a tad where could i buy a replacement if i have to? i shot about 100 rounds throught it and it seemed ok, it didnt full auto fire on me or not fire, and the trigger pull was a lot better but i dont think ill be filing any parts any time soon

Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10726 Times on 4642 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

For some good info on the SKS, and a LOT of other milsurp firearms, go over to surplusrifle.com.

for pieces parts, try here: Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Old 03-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For some good info on the SKS, and a LOT of other milsurp firearms, go over to surplusrifle.com.

for pieces parts, try here: Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
thank you kind sir for showing me my folly and pointing me in the right direction

Old 03-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #20

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Some foks just gotta learn the hard way...

Good Luck

PS
I've head bending the barrel will let you shoot around corners! How bout you test that one out for us too.