Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   New savage , what are they like , are they any good , are they crap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/new-savage-what-they-like-they-any-good-they-crap-78390/)

shotshell9 12-13-2012 08:17 PM

New savage , what are they like , are they any good , are they crap

new model savage rifles from top of the line to the cheapest model are they any good and what makes them so good
the reason i ask is i am thinking about buying one

aandabooks 12-13-2012 10:33 PM

I can't say anything bad about any of the Savages I own. I have a base model .22 and a BV. Both are good shooters and an .223 Edge. Accurate gun but an accu-trigger would make it better.

Got a couple buddies with 110s and another couple models. All good reliable guns.

HockaLouis 12-13-2012 11:01 PM

They have almost always had a decent reputation as a decent arm that was relatively inexpensive. Some models being higher quality than others to be sure. In recent years, I have to say, their reputation has solidified into their being one of the very best values for the money. Some Savage would always be one of the guns I'd be comparing were I looking for something...

Txhillbilly 12-14-2012 12:48 AM

I have never owned any of the cheaper grade Savage rifles,but I do have 5 of their Heavy barreled rifles. 2 of them are older Pre-Accutrigger models,a Model 12FLVSS 223,and a Model 110FLP 300 WM.The Other 3 are newer with the Accutrigger,a 110FLCP 25/06,a Model 10FCP 308,and a Model 12FLV 308 that is now a 7mm-08.
Out of the box,most Savage rifles are excellent shooters,and with a little tweaking and handloads built for each rifle,they will shoot as good as any custom rifle.

Savage rifles are also the adult Lego's of firearms.You can build a complete custom rifle at your house with a couple simple tools,and on whatever budget you want. No gunsmithing needed!
They might not be the prettiest girl at the dance,but they will give you all the enjoyment that you want to have!

WhelanLad 12-14-2012 10:13 PM

I hear so much about the reputarion of Savage; although i personally cant deal with the look of the Bolt/shroud area.
anyone else feel the same?

Txhillbilly 12-14-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhelanLad (Post 1051765)
I hear so much about the reputarion of Savage; although i personally cant deal with the look of the Bolt/shroud area.
anyone else feel the same?

I really can't say that there's any difference on a Savage than any other American made rifle.
The Barrel nut is most peoples bitch,but to each their own. I don't need to pay a gunsmith to do anything,and can build a complete rifle out of parts in a few minutes in my shop that will out shoot most rifles costing 3x what I have in the Savage.

WarrenPTstud 12-15-2012 12:29 AM

I own a new savage axis xp camo. The gun itself is very good, but the Bushnell scope that came with mine could and would not adjust to sight in the rifle. After a trip back to my lgs where I bought it and a New replacement scope it has been a good rifle. My uncle bought one exactly like mine and had the same problem as me as well as in the bolt slamming into the scope when ejecting and feeding in a new round. The gun is good, I just reccomend a better scope