Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New savage model 42 combo gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

The savage model 42 is a 2 barrel combination gun one .22 long rifle and .410 shotgun.
Who here is familiar with this gun and who like me agrees it could be better.

Last edited by Chase127; 04-27-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Savage has been making combo guns for about 70 years now but this most recent offering has afew features that could and should be improved it is hammer fired witha hammer based barrel selector why not make it striker fired like an over under shotgun? And give it an AR styled selector for barrel selection 50 years ago they made a combo gun that had a spring action extractor the new model 42 has a manuel shell extractor....WTF? It has this awkward lever forward of the trigger guard for opening the breach.Why not make this a button similar to the mag release on an AR its not like they don't have the technology they were just cheap and half assed about it.the model 42 is not setup for scope mounting even though the model 24 was 50 YEARS AGO Why?it has a very nice modern synthetic stock with stylized finger grooves why not integrate an ammo carrier (say 4 rounds of each) in the buttstock and add a picitiny rail on top for a scope beefy enough to handle the shock of the .410 blast (any high-power rifle scope would do) the 42 has alot of potential but i don't think i will be selling it in my shop

Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Good for you sir. Chase127 I had a V 24 when they made it in a 30-30 over a 12 gage. That is one of the most handy rifles that I have ever had.

I wish at this point in my life that I had never sold it. It didn't do any thing great but it did every thing good enough to get game in the pot. It is a true hunting tool. I have taken birds, rabbit and deer with it. At a 100 yards it would hold about 1.5" with the 30-30.

As far as the new one goes, I will never buy one. I can't see any use for it. It looks cheap and flimsy and the caliber and gage are of little use to me.

I would much rather see a 223 over a twenty gage or the 30-30 with the old style action. I have been on the lookout for a used 30-30 over a twenty or twelve gage.

When I had the money I couldn't find one and when I ran across one I didn't have the money. I will get one yet.

Last edited by Ishooter; 04-28-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #4

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127
The savage model 42 is a 2 barrel combination gun one .22 long rifle and .410 shotgun.
Who here is familiar with this gun and who like me agrees it could be better.
I have to agree, I think Savage dropped the ball on the new Model 42. The cartridge selection is too limited and not at all what I would have chosen. Mechanically there are some unfortunate choices made in the design and its just a butt ugly gun.

I'd rather have a old, used Model 24 than a brand new 42.

Actually, I think if they had just re-released the old 24C (.22LR/20ga takedown) with a traditional looking synthetic stock, they would have had a winner. It would I think have appealed to a wide range of shooters (survival, foraging, small game hunting, etc).

Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Well, seeing how this gun has been out for a couple of years now, you would think savage would offer it in a few different caliber selections.

As it stands now, I see the current model 42 as nothing more than a youth gun.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2546 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

I have only given these new ones a cursory once-over. They are cheap crap IMO. I own 2 Model 24s, 1 in 22 mag./3" 20 ga., and 1 in .223/ 3" 12 ga.. These are great small game/turkey/survival guns.

I don't know why they stopped production, many years ago, but the new offering does not seem up to snuff.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #7

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Nice pair Eat...

I too have one of those.

The 42 missed the mark as an affordable adult survival/truck gun. I don't know if the OP realizes the price-point for a gun with his interesting options.

Synthetic stocks -- welcome to the 20th Century!

Supposedly it is available in .22 Mag. That really is great. But not the .410. Needed to be .20 ga. or maybe 12 ga.

Any combination of .22 LR, .22 Mag, or .223 over 20 ga. or 12 ga. would have been ideal. Simply replacing the .410 w/the 3" 20 ga. would probably have made this a popular gun too except for one other thing...

Why make it more than 18-1/2"? Shoulda knocked another inch or two off the end! How about matt stainless from the start, and only!?

Yeah, the 42 missed riding what I think has been a TIDAL wave and so will be swept away into the cesspool of history. What dopey people were they talking to and what, other than possibly a youth gun, was their market? "The .22 LR is the perfect survival caliber" and "all I need is a .410 to survive" parrots? Foolish mistakes across the board IMO.

savage-42.jpg  

Last edited by MattShlock; 04-28-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Its a perfect squirrel gun in my opinion. Wished I had something like that when I was hunting squirrels in Louisiana. Got your option .22 for the longer shot and the 410 for while they are on the run. Course I'll take a 410 over a 12 guage any day for squirrel hunting.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
Savage has been making combo guns for about 70 years now but this most recent offering has afew features that could and should be improved it is hammer fired witha hammer based barrel selector why not make it striker fired like an over under shotgun?
Too expensive.
Quote:
And give it an AR styled selector for barrel selection 50 years ago they made a combo gun that had a spring action extractor the new model 42 has a manuel shell extractor....WTF?
Too expensive.

Which model had a "spring action extractor", i.e. ejectors?

Quote:
It has this awkward lever forward of the trigger guard for opening the breach.Why not make this a button similar to the mag release on an AR its not like they don't have the technology they were just cheap and half assed about it.the model 42 is not setup for scope mounting even though the model 24 was 50 YEARS AGO Why?it has a very nice modern synthetic stock with stylized finger grooves why not integrate an ammo carrier (say 4 rounds of each) in the buttstock and add a picitiny rail on top for a scope beefy enough to handle the shock of the .410 blast (any high-power rifle scope would do) the 42 has alot of potential but i don't think i will be selling it in my shop
It is possible to scope a 42. You replace the rear sight with a special scope base.

It's easy to say "shoulda done this" and "shoulda done that", but the economic realities of meeting an affordable price point for a double gun are challenging to say the least. You could make a very nice striker fired O/U combo, but it would be priced in the 4 figure range, just like an O/U shotgun.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think "four figures" would depend on if, and to what extent, the barrels are "regulated." It's pretty obvious Savage isn't even pretending that's the case here. Makes sense that the sights are on the rifle barrel...