Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New Savage Model 10 Range Report - Not Good!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New Savage Model 10 Range Report - Not Good!

Bought the rifle August 23rd in Nevada and I have waited all this time to get to the range.

I collected all my gear and headed out this afternoon about 12:30. Only one other guy at the rifle range, trying out some hand loads and keeping books that looked like an accounting spreadsheet.

I introduced myself and we talked about Pete's rifle and mine, then I asked to go down range and nail up some target material. Upon my return I switched off the down range rotating beacon and set up at my bench.

I slid the first round into the open chamber and closed the bolt. I was somewhat concerned because the bolt would not go to battery. I repositioned the round and the bolt closed, however; stiffly.

Bang!! Well, I thought; that part worked OK. I rolled the bolt and couldn't extract the round. The bold was frozen in the chamber other than it would rotate to and from battery. Pete scrounged around in his truck and produced a rubber handled ball peen hammer. We tapped the open bolt and Shazam!!, it popped open.

Thinking perhaps it was that the gun was new, I carefully fired two more rounds with the same result. Pete and I sat down and examined the spent casings and compared them to the unfired factory ammo (Magtech) I was shooting. There was a definite indentation at the collar of the spent round, enough that Pete thought the rifle might have not been chambered properly.

That was the day, now to call Savage tomorrow and discuss my options.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 09-24-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading what you wrote.

We had a Remy come into the shop ( no offense Tango ) and it was stamped .22LR and if I remember right, it was actually a .22 Mag or a .22 Hornet, something like that. So it does happen...

I would have a 'smith check the throat dimensions and see if it is indeed chambered correctly...

Good luck. Let us know what the verdict is. Glad you weren't hurt...

JD

Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Wow, dune, that stinks. I am glad that there were no pressure issues, like JD said. I think the people at Savage will be good to deal with and make things right.

Here's another thought, don't the gun makers test fire each one they manufacture?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is not good Duner. Keep us posted.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Can you post a couple of pics? I'd like to see some fired empties, as well as some of the factory rds.

I had a similar issue with an old Enfield. Brit surplus locked up the action tight, but commercial Winchester 180gr is fine and dandy. And my headspace checks out just fine.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's some follow-up!! Took the three spent cartridges and the box of Magtech .308 Win 150gr rounds to my buddy who is an avid reloader. We measured the original ammo and the spent rounds and they seem to be within spec, give or take .0021 inches.

We have decided I should purchase some premium ammo, Remington, Winchester or Federal Match and fire that to see if it is ammo or the weapon. If the problem remains, I will seek a local gun smith to check the chambering, then call Savage.

It could be the ammo, it could be the chamber was not polished properly, hard to tell at this point.

ADDITION: The rifle expends an unfired round just fine!!

And Yes, they did test fire the weapon prior to shipping from the factory in Massachusetts.

I'll get some pics up when I can, M14sRock!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 09-24-2009 at 11:42 PM.