Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > A new Savage Axis for me!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A new Savage Axis for me!!

Just got this last weekend - complete with Konus Pro 12-16x44 (not sure about the 12-16 its something like that and I'm to lazy to go look). Anyways... here it is...

Caliber is .223, btw... I have shot it but it was not properly sited. Local store said they sited it but it was shooting 3 foot off target at about 10 o'clock (at 100 yards) so I'm thinking they did something wrong I bore sited it and will be checking again Saturday or Sunday

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If it's that far off, either they did a piss poor job or you should check the mounts and rings.

And congrats on the new stick.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 332 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice! i just bought the exact same gun about 2 months ago. i went with a bushnell 4-12x40 scope. even with cheap ammo it's still puttin 1.5 or so inch groups at 100 yards. not off a vise or rest though, just restin on my balled-up sweatshirt

while it's not the perfect rifle, i think it's safe to say the gun is more accurate then i am....which in the end is all that really matters

Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

I had been looking for a bolt action hunting type rifle. I bought it because it was purty, came in .223 and was less than half the cost of a remington 700 i'm heading to the range tonight - i have re-zeroed the scope with my own bore-sighter. It was way off... gonna take that with me to make sure the scope is holding zero. i'll report back

Quote:
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Enjoy your new rifle. What kind of animals are you going to hunt?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Enjoy your new rifle. What kind of animals are you going to hunt?
The paper kind I don't hunt. I DO enjoy shooting rifles and pistols at the range, however. Not that I'm against hunting, it is just that cows taste so much better (to me) than deer does
Quote:

Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ah, okay.....have fun!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #8

Default Savage Axis 22-250

Just bought a Savage Axis in 22-250 with the camo stock. Sighted it in and shot quarter size groups at 100 yards with the 3-9 Bushnell that came with it. At 200 yards I am getting 11/4 inch groups. I'm impressed with the performance right out of the box. Trigger was a little heavy so I had a buddy lighten it up a bit. Now its around 3#. Shoots great. Good coyote gun.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #9

I like mine - I am not skilled enough to shoot groups that tight, but it isn't the firearms fault

Quote:

Old 07-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #10

I just got one about a month ago. Stainless, with the Savage provided scope, in 25-06. I just retired about 2.5 months ago and this is something I've wanted for a quite a while.

25-06 is a very, very versatile caliber. Doesn't kick "real" hard, and can be used for all sorts of varmints (4 and 2 legged), deer, and in a pinch, even for elk and black bear. I don't plan on hunting all of that, but, it's nice to know that it can do it.

I had it at the range a couple of weeks ago for the first time and I was getting 2-3" groups at 100 yards shooting from the bench. I was using Remington Core-Lokt 100gr PSP. It was all I could find the day before we went to the range. But, I was not very steady. I only had the fore-stock supported on a bag, I was stabilizing the rear on my shoulder. I'm diabetic and my blood sugar was all over the place that day, and I just wasn't that steady. We'll see how it, and I, work in a few weeks.

I've got some dies now and I'm gonna' start working up a few loads: a good varmint load, a good deer load, and a good plinking load.

This is really a damn nice rifle. And when you factor in the cost, it's a quite extraordinary rifle.

Like the rest of you who've purchased this rifle, I will be enjoying mine.