Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   A new Savage Axis for me!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/new-savage-axis-me-43933/)

SoupNazi 06-16-2011 01:44 PM

A new Savage Axis for me!!

Just got this last weekend - complete with Konus Pro 12-16x44 (not sure about the 12-16 its something like that and I'm to lazy to go look). Anyways... here it is...

http://users.network1.net/~dankney/R...is%20Small.jpg

Caliber is .223, btw... I have shot it but it was not properly sited. Local store said they sited it but it was shooting 3 foot off target at about 10 o'clock (at 100 yards) so I'm thinking they did something wrong :) I bore sited it and will be checking again Saturday or Sunday :D

CA357 06-16-2011 03:20 PM

If it's that far off, either they did a piss poor job or you should check the mounts and rings.

And congrats on the new stick. :D

donthav1 06-17-2011 12:49 AM

Nice! i just bought the exact same gun about 2 months ago. i went with a bushnell 4-12x40 scope. even with cheap ammo it's still puttin 1.5 or so inch groups at 100 yards. not off a vise or rest though, just restin on my balled-up sweatshirt :p

while it's not the perfect rifle, i think it's safe to say the gun is more accurate then i am....which in the end is all that really matters

SoupNazi 06-17-2011 01:16 PM

I had been looking for a bolt action hunting type rifle. I bought it because it was purty, came in .223 and was less than half the cost of a remington 700 :) i'm heading to the range tonight - i have re-zeroed the scope with my own bore-sighter. It was way off... gonna take that with me to make sure the scope is holding zero. i'll report back :)

lonyaeger 06-17-2011 02:07 PM

Enjoy your new rifle. What kind of animals are you going to hunt?

SoupNazi 06-17-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 524536)
Enjoy your new rifle. What kind of animals are you going to hunt?

The paper kind :) I don't hunt. I DO enjoy shooting rifles and pistols at the range, however. Not that I'm against hunting, it is just that cows taste so much better (to me) than deer does :)

lonyaeger 06-17-2011 02:39 PM

Ah, okay.....have fun!

outrider444 07-15-2011 03:44 AM

Savage Axis 22-250

Just bought a Savage Axis in 22-250 with the camo stock. Sighted it in and shot quarter size groups at 100 yards with the 3-9 Bushnell that came with it. At 200 yards I am getting 11/4 inch groups. I'm impressed with the performance right out of the box. Trigger was a little heavy so I had a buddy lighten it up a bit. Now its around 3#. Shoots great. Good coyote gun.

SoupNazi 07-15-2011 01:04 PM

I like mine - I am not skilled enough to shoot groups that tight, but it isn't the firearms fault :)

SgtSam 07-17-2011 03:25 AM

I just got one about a month ago. Stainless, with the Savage provided scope, in 25-06. I just retired about 2.5 months ago and this is something I've wanted for a quite a while.

25-06 is a very, very versatile caliber. Doesn't kick "real" hard, and can be used for all sorts of varmints (4 and 2 legged), deer, and in a pinch, even for elk and black bear. I don't plan on hunting all of that, but, it's nice to know that it can do it.

I had it at the range a couple of weeks ago for the first time and I was getting 2-3" groups at 100 yards shooting from the bench. I was using Remington Core-Lokt 100gr PSP. It was all I could find the day before we went to the range. But, I was not very steady. I only had the fore-stock supported on a bag, I was stabilizing the rear on my shoulder. I'm diabetic and my blood sugar was all over the place that day, and I just wasn't that steady. We'll see how it, and I, work in a few weeks.

I've got some dies now and I'm gonna' start working up a few loads: a good varmint load, a good deer load, and a good plinking load.

This is really a damn nice rifle. And when you factor in the cost, it's a quite extraordinary rifle.

Like the rest of you who've purchased this rifle, I will be enjoying mine.