Originally Posted by jt41time
Have a link to what you are talking about? I like saving money.
(1) Find a used Stevens 200 or Savage 10/11/12/14/16 for a cheap price.
(2) Buy an Action wrench,Barrel Nut wrench,and a set of Go/No Go gauges.
(3) Buy whatever brand/type of Barrel you can afford.
(4) Buy whatever stock you want to put the action/barrel in.
(5) Buy whatever type of trigger you want,if the action doesn't have a trigger you like.
(6) Read this link- http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/swapping-barrels-savage-70590/
(7) Put it all together,and shoot the thing!
You can get a Savage heavy barrel for around $200,or buy a custom barrel like a Criterion,Shillen or McGowen for around $300-400 at Northland Shooters Supply.
There are too many good used rifles out there that can be bought for $250-350.
You can use any short action rifle,but if the bolt head isn't the right size,it will also need to be changed.This is a simple process,and cost $50-60 for parts.