new Savage 111 and Choate sniper stock?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > new Savage 111 and Choate sniper stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new Savage 111 and Choate sniper stock?

I am about to buy a new 111. I really want the choate sniper stock on it. Problem is, the stocks are not compatible with the mag design. Is it possible to mod the stock to make it work?
The savage 111 is right in my price range. And so is the stock. But I'm getting a little aggravated with all of this..... please help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Well,the sporter barreled 111 action will look awful funny in that stock,it's designed for a heavy barrel and can fit up to a 1 1/4" diameter barrel.
If you want to keep the detachable magazine,the stock will have to be inletted for the bottom metal. You can contact Fred Choate,and ask if they would inlet the stock,or they do offer their Tactical stock that will accept you bottom metal and magazine.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #3

Can I put an Accutrigger on a non accutrigger 111 after I get it? Or am I stuck buying one with it? A little topic change........ sorry

Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt41time View Post
Can I put an Accutrigger on a non accutrigger 111 after I get it? Or am I stuck buying one with it? A little topic change........ sorry

Sounds like you want it all. You need to buy an aftermarket trigger, the accutrigger won't fit older models. My old Savage 110 has a pretty decent trigger. Try it before you make a change. You need to read up on Savage rifles.
One line of BS here can make for a world of OS on your side. 2 posts and your aggravated. That is a bad sign.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

No, it sounds like he's buying the wrong gun.

You're buying the wrong gun. If its a money thing, save up for what you want. You'll be happier in the end.

My 308 and scope cost about $2000. It will do things a sporter barrelled hunting rifle won't.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

[QUOTE=jpattersonnh;1045993]Sounds like you want it all. You need to buy an aftermarket trigger, the accutrigger won't fit older models. My old Savage 110 has a pretty decent trigger. Try it before you make a change. You need to read up on Savage rifles.
One line of BS here can make for a world of OS on your side. 2 posts and your aggravated. That is a bad sign.[/QUOTE

Can you buy the Accutrigger later for a brand new 111? Its easier for me to spend 500 on the gun then throw some stuff at it later. I have read up on savage rifles. A lot. But that question doesn't seem to be answered anywhere I can find.

I know what I want as an end result. I just need to know if its possible.....

Old 12-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 112 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 93

You can put a nice Timney trigger in your rifle for $100

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/223896/timney-rifle-trigger-savage-10-through-16-110-through-116-210-without-accutrigger-2-to-4-lb-blue

It ain't a Jewell but its a very good trigger for a budget concious build.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

[quote=jt41time;1046470]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Sounds like you want it all. You need to buy an aftermarket trigger, the accutrigger won't fit older models. My old Savage 110 has a pretty decent trigger. Try it before you make a change. You need to read up on Savage rifles.
One line of BS here can make for a world of OS on your side. 2 posts and your aggravated. That is a bad sign.[/QUOTE

Can you buy the Accutrigger later for a brand new 111? Its easier for me to spend 500 on the gun then throw some stuff at it later. I have read up on savage rifles. A lot. But that question doesn't seem to be answered anywhere I can find.

I know what I want as an end result. I just need to know if its possible.....
I answered that. But you never stated it was a new model. As far as I know all new Savage rifles have accutrigger, have for some time.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt41time View Post
Kevin at Stockade Custom Guns can/will install an Accu-trigger on a non Accu-trigger gun. But it will cost more than it's worth.
Rifle Basix and Sharp Shooter's Supply triggers would be the best choice for a good aftermarket trigger for a Savage.

If your set on getting the Choate stock,why not just buy a model 10/110 with the blind magazine,and everything will fit without any modifying.

Just what are you wanting to do with the rifle?
If you are wanting to hunt with the rifle,you probably won't like toting it around with the Choate Ultimate Sniper stock.Beside's being heavy,the shape of the stock is awkward to carry around.
If you are wanting a target rifle,you won't be happy with a sporter barrel. There's nothing wrong with that contour of barrel,but they heat up after a couple shots,and the accuracy will fall off fast after it heats up.

Personally,I'd just save my money until I could buy the exact rifle that I was wanting.

I have several Choate stocks,and really like the Tactical version over the Ultimate series.
I have my 300WM in a Ultimate varminter stock only because I can add weight to the stock. It weighs around 17lbs,and serves the purpose that I intended it for,Long range shooting. I have no problem shooting 100+ rounds a day with it in this stock,but you ain't going to walk up a hill with it on your back.

My heavy barreled 25/06 and 308 are in the Choate Tactical stocks. I really like everything about these stocks,and these rifles weigh in around 10lbs with optics.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #10

Herstoce's what I want......

I love the looks of the sniper stock. Love pistol grips. (I miss my g3, no-CA legal).
Nice trigger.
I want to use it for target practice and playing around.
.223 so no real hunting.
I want lay down in the desert and plug away at anything at range and take my time setting up a shot and taking it.
Very much a budget. Pay as little up front as possible and slowly build.

So here's what I think I decided on. A savage 111 hunter xp .223. Choate super sniper stock. Upgrade the trigger with a basix or similar. Upgrade barrel to heavy 24". Bipod. Nice 150$ scope.
510$ up front. And next will be the stock at 200. Then trigger at 100 then scope at 150 then barrel at ???.