NEW Ruger NRA Mini-14 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > NEW Ruger NRA Mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodeTXSG View Post
Hello,
I have fired the AR/15 M/16 and Mini 14 both pre 2006 version and the current. The accuracy is quite a bit better with the new version. I highly recommend this rifle, a few modifications make it far superior. With a flash dispersal on the barrel, or a new thicker barrel if you want to go all out... and the new trigger that has more than 1 lb of trigger pressure removed from the pull... this gun gets the job done. I have put mine through the ringer in testing it out after having the old version of the rifle. I am hooked...

Custom Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith

PS, those of you who are haters of the Mini 14 need to revisit the new model and what its capable of. Note, in time of need 223 will be fare more available that you tuna can SKS/AK ammo.

SPC J.C. Goode
Texas Army State Guard
C4I, 2nd Bt, 19th Reg
I hate to tell you this, but if you have rebarreled your Mini, Ruger will refuse to repair it. That's fine unless a restricted part such as a firing pin breaks, then it's just a fence post. Several people have found that out lately and posted about this, it's even gone to the CEO and they will not touch the rifle. Too afraid of lawsuits.
The aftermarket FP breaks at 500 rounds or less. I wish you the best of luck my friend.

I do agree with you they can be made to shoot.

John K

Old 12-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Iv shot a few ARs and one Mini14 target(perfer a bolt gun myself). All I can say is I would take my buddys target mini14 over all the ARs. The trigger on every AR Iv ever shot was such a joke(and Im sure that can be fixed) i dont see how and AR owner could say anything bad about the trigger on the mini.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #23

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Over many years I've owned five Mini 14's, the only one I didn't care for was a Ranch model in 222 cal. I've never had a problem with accuracy, in fact a stainless steel Mini 14 I bought around 1990 was extremely accurate with the factory peep site. I put a round right between the eyes of a buck at 100 yards. Sorrowfully I no longer own that rifle but I recently bought a stainless steel Mini 14 Ranch with a scope which I haven't had a chance to site in yet but I have fired it and it's not too far off. The only accuracy problem I've seen with Mini 14's is ME!!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #24

You have to carefully check the new one's

QC is not what it used to be. You may get a good one or one with problems.
My Tactical had 5 things wrong right out of the box, but others are perfect.

You will most likely need to re torque the gas block, they either put them on crooked or some ham handed guy torques them to 50 inch pounds.
If it looks good without problems, still check the gas block.

best Regards, John K

Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #25

Default gas block torque amount?

Hi, thanks for all the info guys, just curious what should the gas block be torqued to (#s?)? And what is the technique, can I use a light auto torque wrench to measure it as I torque it (don't have much for gunsmith tools but am pretty handy)?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a 581 series ranch rifle, and my friend has a 580 target version. Both of us have had very satisfactory results on the 100 yrd range and I would not classify the Mini-14 as inaccurate at all. I'm no sharpshooter but with a halfway decent scope, I can shoot 2" groups all day with it. I do agree that some of the fit and finish seems to be less then previous series, and for the price, you would expect them to be better then the bargin basement plinkers, but all in all, for a $700 dollar rifle, I find it not only very accurate, it eats everything I throw at it, and has numerous upgrade options available, so what's not to luv?

Wearing it's 'traditional' getup....

And now, in it's "saturday nights all right for fighting" look.....