NEW Ruger NRA Mini-14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > NEW Ruger NRA Mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NEW Ruger NRA Mini-14

anyone hear about the new mini-14 that came out this year. it comes with a hogue overmold stock, 16 inch barrel and -get this- 2 ruger factory 20 round mags! ruger is using the sales of this rifle to gauge the marketability of their factory high cap mags. i don't think they'll have a problem. i'm an AR guy myself but this rifle seems to have some potential.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
anyone hear about the new mini-14 that came out this year. it comes with a hogue overmold stock, 16 inch barrel and -get this- 2 ruger factory 20 round mags! ruger is using the sales of this rifle to gauge the marketability of their factory high cap mags. i don't think they'll have a problem. i'm an AR guy myself but this rifle seems to have some potential.
theres a write up about it in the american rifleman magazine

Old 06-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The barrel is thicker with a different profile than previous models in an effort to reduce harmonics/vibration and so gain accuracy. It's a 16.5" barrel.

I just bought a new Mini 14 L.E. model a few months ago. While it has the short barrel, it's not the new profile one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #4

Potential? I don't know! The Mini-14 has always been Ruger's, 'illegitimate child' of an assault rifle. It's famous for being inaccurate; the old ones always seem to creak, rattle, and groan; and, the magazines have always been either a problem or an issue.

(And, they shall continue to be so!)

When Ruger dressed up their, 'illegitimate child' they should have finally made it compatible with everybody else's AR-15 magazines; but, what the hey, THAT would have been just too sensible.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Potential? I don't know! The Mini-14 has always been Ruger's, 'illegitimate child' of an assault rifle. It's famous for being inaccurate; the old ones always seem to creak, rattle, and groan; and, the magazines have always been either a problem or an issue.

(And, they shall continue to be so!)

When Ruger dressed up their, 'illegitimate child' they should have finally made it compatible with everybody else's AR-15 magazines; but, what the hey, THAT would have been just too sensible.
I hear what you're saying. I wouldn't buy one to replace my AR. it just seems like an interesting rifle to own and shoot. that would be great if it could take AR mags. It also seems like a decent compromise for agencies that are afraid of "black rifles".

Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #6

Well if you were going to buy a mini14 at least you are donating to a great cause to help defeat the anti gunners

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #7

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

This is an NRA Edition Mini 14 I picked up last month. I scoped it with a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X 40MM with a Mil-Dot reticle. This target was shot at 100 yards. Accuracy is about what I expected. I think the thicker barrel at the gas block helps with accuracy somewhat. This gun is a good value when you consider the Hogue Overmolded stock runs around $75.00 and the 2, 20 round magazines go for $50.00 each. That comes to $175.00 in aftermarket extras you get with the gun. If anyone is interested in a Ruger Mini 14, I would suggest the NRA Edition. I hope Ruger does the smart thing with this gun and catalogs these features on a standard model. Bill T.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #8

Please don't get me wrong; I like Ruger. My wife even carries a Ruger revolver. But, in all perfect honesty, if either my AR or AK shot a 100 yard group like that I'd promptly get rid of it. Heck, I've owned two (admittedly glass-bedded) SKS rifles that could have cut the illustrated group size in half.

I'll agree that the price is right; but, Ruger really could (and should) have come out with a much better tactical rifle. I mean - what the hay - Smith & Wesson and SIG/Sauer both did!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #9

i was just watching a show on Pelican Bay prison. i noticed the guards in the towers were carrying Mini-14s with no optics. one of them scored a head shot on a prisoner while he (the prisoner) was stabbing another inmate. this was from a tower looking down on the yard. i don't think i'd be confident enough to make that shot with a mini-14. then again, the yard was full of inmates.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #10

Ahh, go ahead and risk it - Take the shot!

After all, how much harm can you do?

(Downward angle, inside 100 yards, 6" + target. Piece of cake!)