Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New to the rifle world. Can anyone answere a question for me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
All Ruger rifles and handguns use the investment casting process. What is the problem with investment casting? How many action screws are needed to regulate a turn bolt action?
How many screws does the 98 Mauser father of most modern turn bolts have?
Mausers have 2 action screws and they don't have one that is at an angle either. Mausers have held national bench rest records and rugers have not. And by the way, tell me how awesome a Ruger m77 trigger is. I have a degree in Gunsmithing, have worked for custom shops and on my own, I will not own a Ruger m77. Too many better alternative that are exponentially more accurate out there, even the new junk rem700s.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If you do not have your heart set on a Remington, I would consider other rifle brands such as Savage (11/111), Tikka (T3), and Weatherby (Vanguard S2). The past few years Remington's QC has dropped and they have been shipping some lemons.

If you do have your heart set on a Remington, I recommend you buy a used 700 manufactured before The Freedom Group bought Big Green. You will get better quality and save money.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #23

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have a 770 in 30-06. I bought it becuase I needed an elk rifle. I was in a hurry and didnt have a bunch of money. I understand that the 700 is a better built rifle. My 770 is a super acurate rifle. I can shoot 1" groups at 200 yards. That is 1/2 moa.
Nobody said the 770 wasn't accurate, although yours sounds exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
But I can say the action feels like a toy. It feels cheap. It will probably not hold up to abuse.
Bingo. People dump on the 770 because it's a cheap POS, not because it's inaccurate.

Note to the OP:

Check out the Marlin X7, the Ruger American and the Weatherby Vanguard. All inexpensive and VASTLY superior to the 770.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Investment cast and 3 actions screws are not the way to go
Blocks of billet steel are cast into those blocks to start with.

Investment casting and metal injection molding arent bad methods in and of themselves. And carving stuff out of a billet block isnt automatically a great end result either.

The 770 is a low end gun meant for people who only use it once or twice a year to bag game. For that its a great gun. And the same quality and usage as savage axis and ruger american. Just cheaper lighter versions of better products for the budget minded deer hunter.

Personally i wouldnt put any of the cheaper bolt guns in my safe to contaminate my collection. You can spend the same money for used better quality 700, savage 110, or ruger 77

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19573 Times on 11109 Posts
Likes Given: 49277

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Nobody said the 770 wasn't accurate, although yours sounds exceptional.

Bingo. People dump on the 770 because it's a cheap POS, not because it's inaccurate.

Note to the OP:

Check out the Marlin X7, the Ruger American and the Weatherby Vanguard. All inexpensive and VASTLY superior to the 770.
most M770's are rated at Minute Of Deer! yes some are pretty accurate, but that is not the norm.

like JonM said, they are an inexpensive hunting rifle for the person who hunts a couple of times a year and might shoot maybe one box a shells in a year.

i second his suggestion of checking out used rifles. lots of decent rifles for less than new and some probably haven't even been shot a lot either.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #26

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Blocks of billet steel are cast into those blocks to start with.

Investment casting and metal injection molding arent bad methods in and of themselves. And carving stuff out of a billet block isnt automatically a great end result either.

The 770 is a low end gun meant for people who only use it once or twice a year to bag game. For that its a great gun. And the same quality and usage as savage axis and ruger american. Just cheaper lighter versions of better products for the budget minded deer hunter.

Personally i wouldnt put any of the cheaper bolt guns in my safe to contaminate my collection. You can spend the same money for used better quality 700, savage 110, or ruger 77
I'm willing to pay for quality, just because others are inept doesn't mean I'm wrong. A Ruger will work but why? When there are hundreds of differ options?