Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   New Remington Model 783 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/new-remington-model-783-a-99988/)

Sniper03 11-05-2013 11:22 PM

New Remington Model 783

Anyone seen, handled or shot one of the new Remington Model 783 Rifles.
Looks like they have made some great improvements over the 770 and others.
Pillar Bedded Stock, Free Float, Adjustable Trigger and improved the Bolt.
May not be out yet but just inquiring!:) Should be a good rifle and at a reasonable price with the retail MSRP being a little over $400. If it could even compare to the older 788 that would be great.

Crazycastor 11-05-2013 11:51 PM

From the reviews on here, its turning out to be a nice hunting rifle. No comparison with the 770. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was looking for a hunting rifle. Tried to find one last year to buy but ended up with a Savage 111 because I couldn't find the 783.

Axxe55 11-06-2013 12:06 AM

i have handled a few at my LGS, but have not yet shot one. just handling them, they are much better by a huge margin than the M770. the bolt was much smoother, the trigger was way nicer and it shouldered much better as well. it feels more like a serios rifle, where to me the M770 was more like a toy.

Chloeshooter has one and seems very pleased with his. hehas posted some range reports and reviews on his and i was impressed with his evaluations of the rifle.

joshman88 11-06-2013 12:21 AM

I was at my local Walmart a few weeks ago looking for a 308. I started by picking up the 770 and after TRYING to cycle the bolt immediately handed it back to the guy it was so choppy. Then I saw the 783 and that was WAY better. But they also had the savage axis their and for the same price as the 770 minus scope it felt a little smoother than the 783. Now I'm no expert by any stretch but I ended up putting the savage on layaway. I've never shot any of them so I merely went off of feel and reviews on here.

Axxe55 11-06-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshman88 (Post 1423989)
I was at my local Walmart a few weeks ago looking for a 308. I started by picking up the 770 and after TRYING to cycle the bolt immediately handed it back to the guy it was so choppy. Then I saw the 783 and that was WAY better. But they also had the savage axis their and for the same price as the 770 minus scope it felt a little smoother than the 783. Now I'm no expert by any stretch but I ended up putting the savage on layaway. I've never shot any of them so I merely went off of feel and reviews on here.

the Savage Axis is actually a pretty decent rifle and pretty danged accurate. i have shot a few in different calibers and was pleasantly suprised at how well they shot. it is a rifle a recommend highly for others. my problem with the Axis is the ergonomics. it just doesn't quite fit me well enough an feels a bit delicate to me.

my preference is the Marlin X7 series. these shoulder much better and fit me better and are the ones i have chosen to own and shoot.

i have no doubt you will be very happy with your new Savage Axis and will be a great rifle that will serve you quite well for a long time.

joshman88 11-06-2013 03:23 AM

It's my first "big boy" rifle so I'm sure it will out shoot me. I can't wait to get it next week