New Project Guys!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New Project Guys!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Project Guys!

Alright guys, I recently came up with an older model 700 Remington in 30-06. Through some quick research I found that it is most likely a ADL wood stock series. Well I'm asking you guys (and gals) what you got for suggestions. I'm going to try to make it into a "reach out" rifle. So, suggestions for a good barrel, I know that they have a very good factory barrel but this one just needs to go (not horrible shape but not really where I want it). Also, definitely looking for a new stock, something comfortable and of course good looking lol. I'm going to make this into my project to see if I am as good as I hope I am gun. Big before and after piece with little expense as possible. My wife has been trying to convince me to start doing gun work for people but I'm very hesitant because, well my guns are my babies and if someone screwed them up I'd be furious, so that's scary to me. Well, thats enough jaberin, sorry ya all.
Thanks for the help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You may want to take a look at mem14's Remington. It's a .300 Win Mag, but it may give you some good ideas.

Here's a link: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-remington-700-target-rifle-21890/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #3

Hey thanks thats a very well done piece. I really like that barrel, Im going to look into it for sure.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

there are a lot of good barrels out there. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

If I were going for a button rifled barrel Shilen or Lilja are the top two I would look at. If I were going for a single point cut rifled barrel Krieger or Bartlin are the two to look at.

You say you want to do this on the cheaper side of things. That is cool with me.

Look to Boyds they do all of remingtons factory laminate stocks and they are of good quality. Plus most are $100 or LESS.....

I would look at having Hill country Rifles do a accuracy job.

Accuracy job.... $450
Stock.............. $92
Shlien CM Barrel.$392

Total................$934
Total with out accuracy job $484 not bad and it will shoot better than a factory rifle.

To have a tack driving rifle That is not bad. Plus if you wanted to you could order your 30-06 in a 30-06AI and have a wildcat that is very easy to make. The best thing about the Ackley Improved chamber is you can shoot regular 30-06 ammo in it at any time. Once you get ammo fire formed case life improves greatly and they are more accurate rounds. There is less case stretching and that means less trimming as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-07-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
there are a lot of good barrels out there. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

If I were going for a button rifled barrel Shilen or Lilja are the top two I would look at. If I were going for a single point cut rifled barrel Krieger or Bartlin are the two to look at.

You say you want to do this on the cheaper side of things. That is cool with me.

Look to Boyds they do all of remingtons factory laminate stocks and they are of good quality. Plus most are $100 or LESS.....

I would look at having Hill country Rifles do a accuracy job.

Accuracy job.... $450
Stock.............. $92
Shlien CM Barrel.$392

Total................$934
Total with out accuracy job $484 not bad and it will shoot better than a factory rifle.

To have a tack driving rifle That is not bad. Plus if you wanted to you could order your 30-06 in a 30-06AI and have a wildcat that is very easy to make. The best thing about the Ackley Improved chamber is you can shoot regular 30-06 ammo in it at any time. Once you get ammo fire formed case life improves greatly and they are more accurate rounds. There is less case stretching and that means less trimming as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Cap, I am considering the AI, I hear good things about it. I think that I have decided to go with a Choate Stock SKS Stocks, Shotgun Stocks, Gun Accessories (Winchester, Remington, Mossberg) by Choate, ATI, more , although I cant decide if I want the Sniper or Varmit version. I am still very up in the air with the barrel, refinish and save or go new and splurge, im going to have to see how well I can get it shooting first i guess. My big hang up now is finding a decent scope for cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks again guys

Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

How cheap for a scope.

A cheap scope to a scope snob is $900. A cheap scope to me is $200? A cheap scope to someone else is $35.
Bushnell 8-32x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope DEMO-B

I have this nikon on my RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle and LOVE IT. Great scope for the price.
Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch Riflescope DEMO-B

This one is spendy but Sightron are making a big name for themselves on the 1000 yard line.
Sightron 8-32x56 SIII Rifle Scope DEMO-B

The SWFA SS Scopes are decent scopes.
SWFA SS 20x42 Riflescope DEMO-B

Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!

Also try

OpticsPlanet – Best Binoculars, Night Vision, Rifle Scopes, Sunglasses, Flashlights, Telescopes, Range Finders, Microscopes & more on SALE

For $200 this is the scope I would be looking at. http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-40-44-6-5-20-x-44-ao-riflescope.html

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-07-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #7

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
How cheap for a scope.

A cheap scope to a scope snob is $900. A cheap scope to me is $200? A cheap scope to someone else is $35.
Bushnell 8-32x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope DEMO-B

I have this nikon on my RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle and LOVE IT. Great scope for the price.
Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch Riflescope DEMO-B

This one is spendy but Sightron are making a big name for themselves on the 1000 yard line.
Sightron 8-32x56 SIII Rifle Scope DEMO-B

The SWFA SS Scopes are decent scopes.
SWFA SS 20x42 Riflescope DEMO-B

Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!

Also try

OpticsPlanet – Best Binoculars, Night Vision, Rifle Scopes, Sunglasses, Flashlights, Telescopes, Range Finders, Microscopes & more on SALE

For $200 this is the scope I would be looking at. Weaver 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope FREE S&H 849550, 849552. Weaver 40/44 Riflescopes, Weaver Riflescopes.
The man knows of what he speaks. If you look at the SWFA Super Sniper, keep in mind that you can get that scope NEW for $299....only $50 more than the demo.