New or Old rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New or Old rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New or Old rifle?

Hey guys,

I am looking at 2 different guns. One is an old savage .243 model 110e built around 1967 for about 300$ with a scope. The other is a new .243 for about the same price at, I hate to say it/.. walmart.

Are guns like everything else?? Usually older things are built better?

What are your thoughts? I'd love to drop 1000 or more for a great gun but... money is tight.

Nick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick79
Hey guys,

I am looking at 2 different guns. One is an old savage .243 model 110e built around 1967 for about 300$ with a scope. The other is a new .243 for about the same price at, I hate to say it/.. walmart.

Are guns like everything else?? Usually older things are built better?

What are your thoughts? I'd love to drop 1000 or more for a great gun but... money is tight.

Nick
What is the quality of the old rifle? Do you know how it's been treated? Do you know the owner? If the older rifle does not look very good visually, I wouldn't buy it. But if it looks good and you like the feel of the rifle go for it. How it feels and fits you is very important and if the new one feels better to you, go for it. Both rifles should shoot good, pick the one that fits you best and you like the most.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Rack the bolt on both guns,

It will tell you volumes about the two guns.

Then you decide.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In my admittedly somewhat limited experience, yes, old things tend to be built better.

However, some things are just worth buying new, and I've only ever bought 2 new guns, out of about 10 that have passed through my possession.

Really, if the old rifle isn't beat up too bad, I'd ask the seller to come down off the price just enough to make it worth passing up the new one, and I'd snatch it up.

Also, what make and model is the new one?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

The new one is a remington 700. 30.06 I realize they are both different calibers.

The older one looks like it is great shape, a few little nics on barrel and you can see a couple scratches on the stock where its been rested on a "fence" or whatever when fired.
But,, the gun feels heavy like it was built like a tank. The new one (30.06) is a bigger gun but feels lighter. I realize newer things use lighter materials, so this may be the case.

What makes me think is bad is, I have a older German built (60's) browning A-5. My brother has a newer A-5 I think built in Japan??? Big difference. You shake his gun you can hear parts moving slightly, mine never jams and will always fire where he has some troubles.

Thanks for your advice guys!! let me know anything else you may think of!!!!!
Nick

Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #6

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

First of all, older things are not always built better. The new Ford Mustangs are built much better than the Mustang IIs and Pintos were in the 70s. Seriously though, you need to take a real good look at the bore and action of the old rifle. With a good examination of the rifle you should be able to tell how it has been treated over the years. Which model Remington 700 are you talking about? Just stay away from the Rem 770. There is a big difference between the 30-06 and .243. If this is going to be your only rifle for a while I would advise going with the 30-06 because it will allow you to shoot a wider ranger of bullets. It will also be more effective in stopping big game if you hunt. I think you need to do more looking around because there may be even more rifles to choose from in your price range.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never buy a weapon from Walmart! They buy in bulk and most of their rifles or shotguns have some type of minor defects in them. That is why the prices are generally a lot lower. Some people get lucky and buy something that operates ok, but whenever you have a choice I suggest you keep your local gun shop in business! Walmart might sell them, but they sure as hell can't fix them!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #8

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E
Never buy a weapon from Walmart! They buy in bulk and most of their rifles or shotguns have some type of minor defects in them. That is why the prices are generally a lot lower. Some people get lucky and buy something that operates ok, but whenever you have a choice I suggest you keep your local gun shop in business! Walmart might sell them, but they sure as hell can't fix them!!!
Walmart also makes plenty of money selling cheap chinese junk, so they really don't need your gun business to stay afloat. The man down the street who sells nothing but guns, and is trying to feed his family, however, is a different story.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well said Trip286!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
The guns sold at Walmart are exactly the same as the rest of the production line from the gun makers. Walmart does not have some mystic ability convince the gun manufacturers to sell substandard merchandise to them for less.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."