New Mosin Nagant First Range Report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New Mosin Nagant First Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Default New Mosin Nagant First Range Report

Had my first Mosin Nagant Range Day with my 1942 Tula 91/30.

My shoulder politely asked me to stop after about 30-35 rounds (almost all fired from the bench). One of those shots, Just One was all it took, I forgot to snug the buttplate into my shoulder and just as the trigger broke I had barely enough to to think "oh *crap* this is gonna hurt" and hurt it did.

No significant issues with "sticky bolt", the case scratching that was an issue before seems to have worked itself out. I did have a few feed problems but I think these were operator error of loading the magazine. The rim of the round trying to chamber would catch on the rim of the next round under it causing the nose to dive and refuse to feed. It appears that I just need to make sure each round is stacked just forward of the one under it to prevent this.

I did experience the forward shifting of the wooden top foregrip piece after firing a couple rounds as others have mentioned. Guess I'll have to try corking it to tighten things up a little.

Had one split case neck:

Is this anything to be worried about or is it relatively common among surplus ammo?

Accuracy was a little better than I expected given the apparent condition of the rifle; having been counterbored, and the bore being insanely dirty and horribly fouled when I got it. Held well at 25yrds and 50yrds and I think the drop off of grouping at 100yrds was more my fault as there was one good grouping of 3 and another of 2 with several inches between the two groups. Even with my glasses on, at 100yards the piece of printer paper I'm aiming at is mostly covered by the sight and tough to make out.

I'm already starting to have an internal battle with myself between keeping everything "traditional" or wanting to put a long eye relief scout scope in place of the rear sight. Most likely I'll keep it original and possibly try making some peep sight stickers for my glasses to try and improve my long distance iron sight shooting.

Thanks for viewing and any input is greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #2

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

The soup can ammo i buy cracks every now and then.. and try one of these for the recoil http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HIT1UO

Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

A split case neck is usually associated with a casing that has been reloaded several times and has thinned to the point of failure or the brass has lost some of it's flexibility. I suspect the latter here, the casing may have suffered some sort of fatigue. Inspect the remaining cartridges from that lot to ensure there are no potential hand grenades in the bunch. Look for pitting or unusual discolorations on all the casings and ditch any that don't look right...a split at the neck is less dangerous, and not all that uncommon, than a weak spot in the casing body itself, you want to be sure all that pressure goes out the barrel not back into the receiver. That being said, if it begins to happen more frequently it may point to an out of spec chamber.

Nice rifle by the way...she cleaned up nice.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-15-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I keep looking at these. I think I need to end up with one. Good looking rifle.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

The cases are lacquer coated steel, so no they aren't reloaded too many times but you are spot on about the lack of flexibility. From what I've heard it's not uncommon with this ammo.

Thanks for the compliments! I love the gun! It polished up great, still some work to go and I think that's part of what I love about it. I couldn't recommend it highly enough to do it justice. Especially if your LGS has a good deal on them. Great gun, accurate enough and easily improved, virtually indestructible, easy to disassemble, great to learn on, and VERY good at teaching how to deal with recoil flinch. I caught myself on one 50yrd shot and called it left before the rifle settled back on the bags.

Eventually when I'm done working out the quirks and corking, (and over the winter when I can't shoot it as easily) I might strip and refinish all the wood to really bring up the shine on her.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #6

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Surplus has copper plated casings, no lacquer at all but they are non reloadable

Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #7

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Great report, thanks for sharing!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for an excellent report.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Don't worry too much about the casings.

Some of the military surplus ammo they are selling now

is 30-40+ years old. I get casings which split

from the neck all the way to the rim, occasionally.

Needless to say, they eject poorly, and you really

have to slap the bolt around to get them to move...

Try painting the front sight with phosphorescent paint,

and using a little "F-me" red nail polish to make dots on the

rear sight. This changes nothing on the gun, but gives you a

much brighter sight picture.

Last edited by therewolf; 08-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.