Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   New hunting rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/new-hunting-rifle-48086/)

remi514 09-10-2011 10:20 PM

New hunting rifle

Hey guys Im looking for a new deer hunting rifle. I would like something CHEAP. I really want something with iron sites so i can get back to my roots so it doesnt have to be something I can mount a scope on. Maybe on old war rifle I just dont know so I thought I would ask the experts. Remember I will be shooting with iron sites only. Thanks:D

Firearms4ever 09-10-2011 10:27 PM

Iron sights only, huh. Welcome to my world of hunting then ;). I use my Mosin Nagant M91/30 all the time. A military surplus rifle such as the Mosin Nagant, Mauser, Enfield, and so on will fit you perfectly. There's something about the old warhorses that are so attractive to me. There's nothing like hunting in the wilderness with one of those warhorses, and the wood and steel to boot.

donthav1 09-10-2011 10:53 PM

i'm not sure what dollar amount "cheap" is to you, but the mosin is probably your cheapest bet given your criteria. i don't own one, never fired one, but plenty of people on here have & will give you their opinions.

another route would be a 20+ year old rifle from one of the any of the larger makes like remington, savage, winchester, etc., etc... most of those guns were even drilled & tapped for scope mounts along with the iron sights so the scope is always an option if you go that way. there should be plenty of used ones to choose from, at reasonable prices, if you have a few decent sized gun shops in the area. plus going this route there are dozens of calibers you can choose from if you have a preference for one in particular.

jpattersonnh 09-10-2011 11:07 PM

A good Mauser would work well, but even a used 24/47 will run $250.00 by the time you are done. A 91/30 would work well. They are about 125.00 at most gun shops. You can also check the used racks. 1/2 the time they have no clue about a firearm and put a real gem out for short money. A shop near me had an original, all matching Belgian M24 out for $150.00 and 2 24/47's out for $250.00 each. The M24, w/ the receiver in white (as it was made) is worth about 300.00 to 450.00 depending on condition. They thought the bluing had worn off.

ninjatoth 09-11-2011 04:36 AM

Iron sights in Michigan?All you really need is one of them single shot H&R's in branch busting 30-30 or 45/70,those ones have the iron sights also and I believe they run under $300.

Gloves 09-11-2011 04:57 AM

What is it that you're hunting? You can get yourself a 12 Ga for a good price.
Can always use irons, Slugs would take anything in N. America and a smooth
boor 20" barrel is surprisingly accurate out to 50 yards. (4" groups or better)

As for rifles, everything they said is good. I've shot the Mosin Nagant with it's
7.62 x 54mm using the stock iron sights. Funny thing, that gun seemed to work
best with the bayonet attached. Anyone know why?

jpattersonnh 09-11-2011 12:47 PM

I keep reading about Mosin nagants shooting better w/ the bayonet attached. What model was it? I have a number of 91/30's and not one shoots better w/ the bayonet attached. I gave my son a Hungarian M44 that is a great shooter, without the bayonet extended. Barrels way back when were tested by setting the action in a vise. A piece of plate glass was laid on top and very fine sand was very thinly laid on the glass. When it was fired the sand would shift into waves, showing the barrel harmonics. Where the sand met and did not disperse is the optimum length for accuracy. One of the major issues that decreases accuracy is barrel contact w/ the stock that creates pressure. If you remove the barreled action and look at the channel on the stock and handgaurd you will see dark spots on the wood or areas of bluing that are worn because of contact. You can lightly sand these areas to reduce contact. Another trick that was used was to shim the action just forward of the front action screw. There are cases of a shim being placed at the front of the stock under the barrel also. The Swiss were known to do this quite often w/ the K31.

ninjatoth 09-11-2011 10:40 PM

Just a heads up since you're in MI and I know you got a Dunhams near you-They have M91-30's in 7.62x54 on sale for $89.99,sale good util sept 15.

unclebear 09-11-2011 11:24 PM

MOSIN NAGANT!!!!! Ammo is dirt cheap, gun is really simple, recoil is not bad, people have used them to hunt everything from hogs to bears.

ChicagoJoe 09-11-2011 11:27 PM

I bought a Lee Enfield No 4 in .303 British for around $200 in the 1990s and have taken two deer with it. It is accurate, has great sights and one of the smoothest actions you will ever work. On the down side, it is heavy.