Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New to hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to hunting

Hi,

I am a long time shooting enthusiast, but have never hunted before. My brother and I, (he has never hunted before either), have seriously considered taking hunting up. I am a chef and want to get a little closer to my food.

Most of my shooting thus far has been shotguns and pistols. I wanted some opinions on the 3 guns I am still considering.

1. Compact Remington 700 in .308
2. Micro Midas X-Bolt in .308
3. Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308

All three feature about a 13 inch pull. At 5'2", a short pull is absolutely needed.

It's the 21st century. We women have traded our burqas in for big guns, fast cars and high heels.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 70

It would depend on what you are planning to hunt. Some states have a hunter safety course and I recommend any new hunter take the course to further their knowledge of game preparation and hunting safety.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

You might want to consider a 7mm-08 rather than .308? Given your size and the rifles you are considering the 7mm-08 would be much more fun to shoot.

Of the three you listed I would probably opt for the Browning. I'm normally a Remington fan but Browning is also a fine rifle and that Micro Midas would be tough to beat for the smaller rifles.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateHasaGun
Hi, I am a long time shooting enthusiast, but have never hunted before. My brother and I, (he has never hunted before either), have seriously considered taking hunting up. I am a chef and want to get a little closer to my food. Most of my shooting thus far has been shotguns and pistols. I wanted some opinions on the 3 guns I am still considering. 1. Compact Remington 700 in .308 2. Micro Midas X-Bolt in .308 3. Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 All three feature about a 13 inch pull. At 5'2", a short pull is absolutely needed.
I cannot speak of the other two rifles you mentioned but I myself own a Remington 700 chambered in .270, it is an excellent rifle, paired with a leupold scope it drives tacks at 200 yards. The specific model you mentioned (700 chambered In .308 ) Is a very popular rifle among military marksmen and snipers, and I have heard not but good reviews. Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1163 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I have a Browning X Bolt Hunter in .308, great shooting rifle.

I cannot see how shooting 140 grain 7mm vs 150 grain .30 cal projectiles would significantly reduce recoil on the "08" platform.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I have a Browning X Bolt Hunter in .308, great shooting rifle.

I cannot see how shooting 140 grain 7mm vs 150 grain .30 cal projectiles would significantly reduce recoil on the "08" platform.
I can't either but it does? Seriously I have no idea why but the 7mm-08 has noticeably less recoil than a .308. And for the record I'm a .308 fan and have taken two deer with it this year so I'm not anti .308 by any means. I'm also a 7mm-08 fan and I think it is a much better round in smaller lighter rifles. And both have impressive ballistics.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1656 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
I can't either but it does? Seriously I have no idea why but the 7mm-08 has noticeably less recoil than a .308. And for the record I'm a .308 fan and have taken two deer with it this year so I'm not anti .308 by any means. I'm also a 7mm-08 fan and I think it is a much better round in smaller lighter rifles. And both have impressive ballistics.
I shoot both and you will not go wrong with either.....

Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Kate,

Just getting into hunting I would suggest just going with the regular Remington 700 BDL or CDL rifle and save the extra money for a good scope. In addition you might look around and get a fantastic deal on a good used one. Most of the time they are hardly used if any. Purchased on a whim and then put in a safe!. But the best scope you can get and then select a rifle to go with it. Most buy and reasonably expensive gun and then put a cheap scope on them! I would also suggest the 308 to start. It is a good caliber for most all of the normal North American game. Everything from Deer to Black Bear.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #9

Liked 673 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 681

5'2", you may want to look at a different caliber then .308. It can have pretty stout recoil in a light package. I would suggest a 6.5x55.
The Howa hunting package comes w/ a decent scope, more then you will probobly ever need and a Walnut stock. MSRP is 709.00.

Here is a .243 that may fit the bill.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/howa-1500-ultra-lite-scope-youth-combo-rifle-hwr66209-winchester-bolt-action-black-hardwood-stock-blue-steel-finish-9x42-scope-p-85946.html

What you are planning to hunt makes a difference.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #10

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

What jpattersonnh brings up is very true. The game being hunted and the terrain have a lot to do with choosing a rifle and caliber. If you are hunting in California the terrain can be pretty varied, from tight woods to sparse treed hills or brushy desert. So a bolt gun makes sense. The .308 is a logical choice as well. It can have sharp recoil but not so bad that you can't learn and grow with the rifle. A 7-08 does seem to kick a bit less and .243 is very manageable as well, but if you are after some of the western mule deer with potential long shots I think the .243 is pushing it a bit. If you consider elk at all then the 7-08 is definitely the minimum I would feel comfortable with.

Any one of the rifles you mentioned would serve well. I also would recommend looking at some if the package guns out there that come with a scope. The Savage 11 or 111 is a pretty good deal with a Nikon scope. A buddy just picked up a .270 a few weeks ago and it is a pretty good deal, shoots very accurately and is a reasonable weight. His daughter was shooting it yesterday with no problems as a first time shooter and keeping all of her hits in a deer target's vitals on her first 5 shots at 100 yds, then breaking clay pigeons on the berm. She is 5'3 so not far off from your size. The .270 is another good round with good reach and not too punishing recoil.