New hunter need some advice... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New hunter need some advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well guys, thanks for all the good info,I will be making my desision very soon.

Up here in Canada you have to write a couple tests before they send you a "CFA" which is a canadian firearms saftey"possesion and aquision" liscense.
I wrote the tests and passed 100% and 98% on them and sent away my papers.Basicly then you have to wait around a month or a little more to get your card.
So thats what I'm waiting for right now....and it seems like its taking forever

I have been in the hunting shop once a week looking at everything and cant wait until I can purchase somthing.It seems like its taking forever and time is dragging on,but I supoose if they didnt have this system firearms may get into the wrong hands.

Again guys, thanks for all the info.I will keep you all posted when I finally get my card in the mail, and purchase a new rifle.....Cant wait!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #12

I'd like to put my vote in for the 30-06. It's a powerful cartridge but most anyone can learn to live with the recoil. Do not forget to practice like crazy tho.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #13

I will also post my vote for the .30-06 , I like both rifles but for only one gun in the vault I would definately put the .30 cal. You have to remember that flat trajectory isnt the only factor in the equation. A .27 calibre bullet
has more wind deflection from side to side than the .30 cal. So even a cross breeze of 10-20 miles per hour can send your shot at 300 yards 10-12 inches left or right. (a defininate factor on the prairies) This effect can mean the difference between a gut shot deer and a vital shot deer. The biggest bullet weight commercially for a .270 is 150 grains while a .30-06 has readily available bullets from 125-220 grains. And like mentioned before, the 55 grain sabot varmint bullet at 4080 feet/sec is no laughing matter to prairie dogs. WHOOMP
There is not too much difference in velocity and the trajectory difference is only maybe 2-4 inches at 300 yards.(which your scope will correct for) I would always try to close the distance on any animal and not rely on Flat shots at long distance if possible.Long distance shooting takes velocity off any caliber bullet and affects penetration. Stalking skills are important in hunting to be sure you get as close as possible to maximize your chances of a well placed shot. Too many variables to contend with in long shots and really its not responsible to rely on flat trajectories as your only means of taking game. The .30-06 has been around for 100 years and taken more big game on every continent than any other caliber. All those hunters cant be wrong. I am not saying that bearguy is wrong, I just know that there are other considerations when taking game, and with a quality round, the .30-06 is seriously formidable. By the way, the 7mm magnum has about 40-44 pounds of "felt recoil" when fired, alot to take on the shoulder, while the .30-06 averages 25-28 pounds depending on the weight of the rifle and weight of the bullet/powder charge. It is at about the ceiling of tolerable recoil. The .270 is somewhat lower in recoil. But using a good recoil pad will make the .30-06 feel good to shoot and give you confidence to take down whatever walks into your crosshairs. AND PRACTICE LOTS!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy.Y View Post
Well guys, thanks for all the good info,I will be making my desision very soon.

Up here in Canada you have to write a couple tests before they send you a "CFA" which is a canadian firearms saftey"possesion and aquision" liscense.
I wrote the tests and passed 100% and 98% on them and sent away my papers.Basicly then you have to wait around a month or a little more to get your card.
So thats what I'm waiting for right now....and it seems like its taking forever

I have been in the hunting shop once a week looking at everything and cant wait until I can purchase somthing.It seems like its taking forever and time is dragging on,but I supoose if they didnt have this system firearms may get into the wrong hands.
Again guys, thanks for all the info.I will keep you all posted when I finally get my card in the mail, and purchase a new rifle.....Cant wait!!!
I don't agree with that, but that is for another disscusion. I vote for the 30-06 also. I think you would be happier with it than the 270.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #15
Cub

I do lot's of moose hunting, and my favorite is my 7mm Rem mag Browning, but for an overall rifle I don't think the 30-06 is beatable, with all the grain of shell you can buy for this caliber it will allow you to hunt just about anything!!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #16

Default Which Gun

I know this may be a little late in getting to you in time but I can't help putting in my two cents worth. I have been hunting and shooting all my life and have had the honner of doing with some of the finest. An old man told me one time guns as like women (or men). What I like in a woman may not be what you like as preferences are a very personel thing. The most important thing is you get one you like and can do with it what you wan't to do. Caliber size means very little. What counts is true gun control (bullet placement) Many an Elk, Moose, Dear and Bear have been killed by a .22 with proper bullet placement. (not that I would recomend a .22 for that all the time) What I recomend is you go and shoot the weapons you think you might want and remember the fit of the weapon will have as much to do with your shooting and recoil as much as the cal. You need to make your own choice based on your desires and abilities.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 AM   #17

I think all of the calibers are great ones for the hunting you want to do. Things to keep in mind is the terain....brush, fields and the range of the shots.
What can your shoulder take...every person is different and can handle different calibers. You do not want a rifle that you will flinch on if you are to worried about the recoil. I enjoy bog bore rifles and enjoy the 40 calibers, 45-70 is awsome but not a great rifle for range unless you keep shooting it. I would recommend the .308. It all comes down to what is comfortable with you. Go to the ranges and see what others are shooting and see if they will let you throw one down range. Anyway good luck!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #18

The Savage is a very accurate rifle right out of the box. I purchased a 110 model with scope this past year and it was great!

I opted for the 30.06 because that's what the rest of the family uses, so there's always spare ammo if someone needed. Plus, it's enough to take down just about anything I'd plan to hunt.

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 30-06

I bought a Remington 700 in 30-06 thinking that I was going to Colorado to shoot at elk. The hunting trip fell through, but I have been using it for deer in Western PA. It is accurate and the 30-06 has great knock-down power. I have had particularly good luck with Core-Lokt ammo.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Living in Canada you probably have access to a lot of old Enfields in .303 British. I have an old No.1 MKIII that shoots very accurately and puts deer down quickly - in fact it was a very popular cartidge up there throughout the last century! Other than that I would go for the 30-06. The most versatile in terms of bullet weights avaiable for everything from varmint shooting to big game.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"