new to the hobby, have questions...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > new to the hobby, have questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new to the hobby, have questions...

Hey Guys,

im looking to get into this hobby, not necsarily hunting, more so long range target shooting, but ive talked to some friends and they said the best thing to do would be get a .22 rifle and start with that from square one.

So i got a Marlin Glenfield MOD .25 Bolt action .22 caliber rifle

im very excited to get intot he hobby and i have some questions.

my first question is, what would be a good first scope for this gun that i could also grow into later on down the road with larger caliber rifles? im looking to shoot up to 100 yards with this .22 rifle consistantly with ease. ive done a little research and i found this scope that i think might be a good scope, heres a link:

Amazon.com: BARSKA 3-9x32 Plinker-22 Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors

Second Question, does the scope come with everything i need to mount the scope?

third question, how do i mount the scope to my gun, ive watched some videos on youtube about mounting scopes and there doesnt seem to be any mounting holes or rails or anything on my rifle.

fourth question, how do i take the bolt out ive tried holding the trigger while pulling back on the bolt but that didnt work. i honestly dont think the bolt on this gun comes out...

mmm i think thats all for now, thanks for any input guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
my first question is, what would be a good first scope for this gun that i could also grow into later on down the road with larger caliber rifles? im looking to shoot up to 100 yards with this .22 rifle consistantly with ease. ive done a little research and i found this scope that i think might be a good scope, heres a link:

Amazon.com: BARSKA 3-9x32 Plinker-22 Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors
Barska is not known for high quality. Also your problem with this scope is it is a rimfire scope the parallax is set at 50 yards. What the hell is parallax.

Parallax is an apparent displacement or difference in the apparent position of an object viewed along two different lines of sight, and is measured by the angle or semi-angle of inclination between those two lines.[1][2] The term is derived from the Greek παράλλαξις (parallaxis), meaning "alteration". Nearby objects have a larger parallax than more distant objects when observed from different positions, so parallax can be used to determine distances.

What all that means to you is at 100 yards your crosshairs will appear to move around on the target as you move your eye slightly. Kind of like they are floating in water and the target is standing still.

Quote:
Second Question, does the scope come with everything i need to mount the scope?
That scope comes with a set of 3/8" dovetail rings that are made to fit rimfire rifles that have been grooved from the factory. If you look at the top of your gun and you see two small grooves milled in to it then YES that scope comes with everything you need to mount it. If it doesn't have them grooves then you are either going to have to have it drilled and tapped ($15 to $30 a hole) for scope mounting.

Quote:
fourth question, how do i take the bolt out ive tried holding the trigger while pulling back on the bolt but that didnt work. i honestly dont think the bolt on this gun comes out...
Again if it doesn't have something like below you are going to have to have it drilled and tapped.

Quote:
ourth question, how do i take the bolt out ive tried holding the trigger while pulling back on the bolt but that didnt work. i honestly dont think the bolt on this gun comes out...
Try opening the bolt and moving it to the rear all they way to the rear then pull trigger and it should fall right out.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Well, the Glenfield is a good rifle- but it is a hunting grade rifle, not a target grade. At 100 yards, you may be getting 2-3" groups. With a target rifle (and match ammo, no wind, and a REAL lucky day) I have shot "one hole" groups at 100 yards. But it is a good rifle while you are learning- would stick to 50 yds for a start tho.

If you do not have an owner's manual, open this and print it- http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Bolt_Action_RF.pdf

To remove bolt- clear rifle of any ammo and any detachable magazine. Open bolt, put safety in the FIRE position, Press trigger and hold. Draw bolt out to the rear. ALL bolts are removable.

Scope? Mixed reviews, but not a bad scope to learn with. IF your scope comes as pictured in that ad, you have what you need to mount. Your rifle should have 2 grooves cut in the top of the receiver, about 3/8ths of an inch apart. The mount for a 22 scope hooks into those grooves. Heavy rifles need a different type of mount due to recoil, a .22 does not have that problem.

It has been said that accuracy is expensive- so....... just how accurate do you want to be? From a rest, with decent ammo, your rifle will be able to hit an Oreo cookie at 50 yds on a regular basis. If you want to hit an M&M at 100 yds, get out yer checkbook.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

G'morning Tango! Beat me to it!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
It has been said that accuracy is expensive- so....... just how accurate do you want to be? From a rest, with decent ammo, your rifle will be able to hit an Oreo cookie at 50 yds on a regular basis. If you want to hit an M&M at 100 yds, get out yer checkbook.
One of the few folks I know that can explain this complex subject so simply. Someday I may be as smart as c3 (highly doubtful though)...

Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I bought that same rifle for my baby brother on his 14th birthday. Two weeks later, I gave him a simple Weaver 4X scope and rings/mounts for Christmas. The scope cost as much as the rifle, maybe a little more. That combination is a tack driver still at 50 yards. That is a reasonable range for the cartridge. 100 yards is pushing the envelope for a .22

Many rifle shooters believe that spending more money on optics than on the rifle is perfectly reasonable. Some think nothing of spending twice as much for the scope than the rifle it is mounted on.

For $38 you will get $38 worth of quality. Look to spend about $100 and you will be much happier in the long run.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #7

hey alright! thanks for the replies guys!

i tried what cpttango30 said about getting the bolt out, no dice... still wont come out :/

and robocop10mm said 100 yards is pushing the envelope for a .22, thats exactly what im looking to do maybe not right off the bat, but once i can start getting 100 yard shots easily, i will look to upgrade to a larger caliber rifle.

and about the scope, can someone point me in the right direction to a scope that wil do what i want. im not wanting to spend more than $50 on the scope.

and i looked at the rifle more closely and there are grooves for mounting the scope

Last edited by SeanW; 09-29-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Sean- when you pull and hold trigger- is the safety OFF ?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #9

yes, ive tried it in all kinds of combination possible...

safety off the entire time
safety on half the time
turning saftey off half way through the motion
safety on the whole time

ive tried everythingi can think of to get the bolt out.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #10

thoughts to your 5th question

With .22 calibre's; and ammunition ''you'' will find: your particular firearm likes 'x' better than 'y'; or 'w' better than 'a'

why you might ask! lots of factors; some being the bullet weight; some being the 'rifeling'; some being!

when you start being profienct; you have learned many things, bullet weight to wind position; humidity; and the foods that you have eaten

At Wal-Mart; you will find

.22's ammo; bullet grain weights from ?32gr to 42gr? maybe more {7,000gr "grains to a pound}

Keep records; keep very good records; from the day; what you ate 'or' didn't eat
keep records of each bullet pack; ''lot number'', bullet weight; how often you clean your firearm; how hot your barrel becomes; use basic 5 shot groups; length of wait between shots; lenght of time between next group; IN OTHER words enjoy yourself with ''DETAILS". This apply's to all shooting; all firearms; in the endeavor of ''accuracy'', This partial can easily be added to all day; and we haven't began to disscuss the ''cleaning'' up the trigger; bolt; facing the barrel; barrel crown;

.22's at 100yds on the proper day with wind; everything changes
opinion; do all your shooting at 50yds max with iron sights; learn the 'art' in shooting with practice; practice; with your ''list'' of details; from and for each day.

When you are not enjoying yourself load up and go home; don't force what becomes a chore or bore

when you have time; follow up with your thoughts;

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!