New guy, and some info on the Howa H.A.C.T. trigger...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New guy, and some info on the Howa H.A.C.T. trigger...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New guy, and some info on the Howa H.A.C.T. trigger...

I'm from the Mid-Mo area, and have been doing semi-pro 'smithing on revolvers and bolt rifles for the last 20+ years. I dropped my FFL about a year after the Brady Bill went through, so I only work on my own stuff now, but I thought some of the more technically skilled folks on the forum would be interested in this.

Bought a Howa/Hogue with the 20" Bull bbl a couple weeks ago, and even though the trigger is excellent for hunting as is, it was way too heavy for bench shooting, which is all I do with mine. Don't know how many of you have the newer Howa's with the H.A.C.T. trigger, but thanks to its excellent design, I just took mine from 2.4lbs (lowest factory setting) to a totally safe 18oz in about an hour and a half; about 30 minutes of which was spent deciding the best order in which to remove the single part that needed to be worked on.

Bump tested, slammed-bolt tested, you name it. Thanks to that "actuator" piece Howa added inside the trigger assembly, it is a far better, and safer design than any other factory trigger I have worked on to date (other than Anschutz triggers). Tested with the safety in the middle position (not in the "full-lock" third position), as well as with the safety off.

For liability reasons, I won't tell you exactly how I did it, but take a look at the trigger design pictures Howa has all over the web, like this one... http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/12/howa-offers-upgraded-2-stage-trigger-plus-dbm-conversion-kits/

The trick is in the (red) "Actuator" piece. Look at the picture, understand how it works, and with some careful honing in that area, you're not likely to need to buy an aftermarket trigger. The way this thing is designed, I could probably have went lower than 18oz., but even at the factory "low" 2.4lb setting, after the smooth first-stage, it breaks like glass. 18oz. will do me just fine.

Actually, I kind of wonder if that is why Howa has these line-drawings all over the internet; so mechanically inclined shooters can see exactly how they're designed, and see where the improvements need to be made.

One warning though, several small clips, springs, and pins are involved in the disassembly, so be careful not to lose any of them. Fortunately however, to do what I did, you only need to remove the trigger and the "actuator", which will both come out the bottom of the trigger assembly.

Sean

Last edited by 4064fan; 04-09-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #2

Default Howa Trigger

Hi i live in Melbourne, Australia and recently purchased a Howa rifle with the new 2 stage trigger and 3 stage safety, but found it to heavy so i attempted to lighten it by removing the top cut out C shape bit of the actuator and only left about 1mm of the material, i guess its just enough to activate i think its called the sear? I didnt check prior to working on it but now when i pull the trigger with it on safety either right back or in the middle the inner firing pin part of the bolt moves forward a fraction but the safety still works and doesnt fire, then when i put it on fire it fires normally. Just want to know is it normal for the bolt pin to slip a bit and move forward? and does your do the same? or have i messed it up, just want it to be safe, but a replacement trigger is expensive and its hard to get Howa parts over here. Any information would be greatly appreciated.Thanks for your time.Kind Regards Adam.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #3

Liked 147 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The factory accu-trigger on my Savage model 16 adjusted down to 1.5 pounds without modification, which is plenty light enough for me.

Passes all safety tests, functions flawlessly. - No gunsmithing required.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeraddiction View Post
Just want to know is it normal for the bolt pin to slip a bit and move forward? and does your do the same?
That did not happen on mine, and I didn't mess with the top part of the "C", as the top part of it has nothing to do with the sear engagement on the actuator itself. As I said earlier, look at the diagrams, and understand what part of that actuator has anything to do with the actual sear engagement for the trigger.

As for whether you've messed yours up, I would say probably yes, because the top part of that "C" is part of what indexes the bolt sear itself, holding it in its correct position. This trigger system, while a great idea in my opinion, is basically a double-sear system. You have a trigger sear, and a bolt sear (what protrudes out the top of the assembly), and anything that modifies the engagement of the bolt sear should be avoided.

After I posted this, I thought, "I probably shouldn't have posted that". Be that as it may, if you don't understand the inner workings of a trigger, don't mess with it. I hate to see anybody else misinterpret those line drawings and ruin another trigger, or worse...

And Salvo, what does your Savage accu-trigger have to do with this post? If I had wanted a Savage, I would have bought a Savage.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

well deeradiction thanks to this guy being so worried about providing information that there is no law againts,you probly have buggered ya trigger mate and you should have taken a bit off the bottom of the "C",this guy just didnt want to share his find and wanted to make it hard but in saying that if your not confident dont make the alteration,i did and its safley under 2 pound now

Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunner View Post
this guy just didnt want to share his find and wanted to make it hard
No, "this guy" was more concerned about Howa pulling those drawings off the web (liability issues), especially if someone like myself gave explicit instructions on what to do. I don't know how things stand in Australia, but the U.S. is an overly litigious country, and trigger issues from the past are the reason behind so many modern factory triggers being "crap".

To me, the drawing makes it perfectly self-evident as to what "part" needed to be worked on, and "where", but I have been doing trigger jobs for the last 25 years. I guess what I was easily able to see, isn't quite so obvious to people who do not have experience in that area.

I would have answered a P.M., and given the exact instructions. I just didn't want to broadcast it, then have a bunch of people mess their triggers up.

Sean

Last edited by 4064fan; 06-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.
ozgunner Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry for coming across a bit rude mate,i wouldnt say i acctually honned anything but i did highly polish the acctuator part its definately crisper but it really isnt a great deal lighter and i was just trying to get the answer out of you on what to do,i have been looking for ages on how to mod the hact trigger system and your thread was the only good one i came across and it frustrated me when i seen it could be done but no explanation on how

Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will add this for some to think and give consideration. adjusting or tuning a trigger is not for those who are not well versed and experianced in doing so. the trigger is one of the primary parts that provides safe operation of a firearm. messing around with trigger components with no knowledge of what one is doing is creating a very unsafe firearm. this is one area of a firearm that is not for novices and best left to those who know what they are doing.

now with that said, do i know how to adjust and do a trigger job? yes actually i do, but i will not share that information with others. simply because i have no idea as what skill level that person might have with firearms.

my best suggestion is this, if you don't have the skills needed to do the job, take it to a competent gunsmith. IOW's, if you don't know what you're doing, leave it alone.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

your opinion is valid mate,but then again how did you come to know how to do a "trigger job" just saying,and i mean sadly you can find instructions on how to make bomb's and other nasties like that on the internet,so wether you are shown by a profesional or have it explained in detail is a damn sight better than going about it thinking you may possibly know what you need to do without having it shown or explained to you,i mean people search this kind of thing because they want to be able to do it and if they cant find it on the net,well there still probably going to attempt it anyway so better having some idea than no idea i say,but in saying that unless your certain you know what to do and not do,if you cant pull all the info needed to carry the job out then you definately should not attemp it

Last edited by ozgunner; 06-18-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunner View Post
your opinion is valid mate,but then again how did you come to know how to do a "trigger job" just saying,and i mean sadly you can find instructions on how to make bomb's and other nasties like that on the internet,so wether you are shown by a profesional or have it explained in detail is a damn sight better than going about it thinking you may possibly know what you need to do without having it shown or explained to you,i mean people search this kind of thing because they want to be able to do it and if they cant find it on the net,well there still probably going to attempt it anyway so better having some idea than no idea i say,but in saying that unless your certain you know what to do and not do,if you cant pull all the info needed to carry the job out then you definately should not attemp it
i was shown how by a gunsmith many years ago. having an understanding of how components work together in a firearm are a must. and knowing you own abilities is paramount. some people are just not capable and yes they can find out how to screw one up on the internet. fooling around with a trigger without the proper skills is asking for trouble. but by all means go ahead and tell others it alright to do so. just because it can be found on the internet, doesn't mean everyone is capable of doing so.

i'm sure if i looked hard enough, i could probably find instructions on open heart surgery. would you be willing to volunteer for me to do a heart valve replacement on you? it must be true, because i found it on the internet.