New guy question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New guy question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New guy question

Hi everyone. First off let me say that I'm totally new to the gun world so please excuse me if I say something wrong I'm learning alot about this stuff and in a pretty fast time but I love it all ready.
My first question is that on a whim I bought a DPMS AR Sporticle(I think its called) its chambered in the 7.62x39. What is this gun called exactly? I have been told its an ARAK, AR47
Second question when I bought the gun I was told to get the cheap ammo they had because it doesn't matter what you shoot in this caliber, it is the Yugo FMJ copper jacket. The problem is that it jams up all the time, it fires and then you have to re cock it etc. When I shoot the Remington brand I got at Bass Pro Shop it fires with no problems at all but its much more expensive. I assume that the cheap stuff is to dirty or corrosive or something. Can anyone tell me what this problem might be and what I should look for in buying ammo. I love the gun and is awesomely accurate so I hope its not the gun and just the ammo. Also since I'm new to this is this gun a good one to keep around or is it just an odd one to have and should get an AK in order to shoot this caliber of round? All I know is that the AR is more accurate and thats why I bought it instead. Is that true? Thanks everyone for reading this short book and helping me out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

Welcome, I just left Vegas last week...

Sounds like you have an AR 15 that is chambered for 7.62x39, Nothing wrong with that, I have one as well as an AR 15 chambered in .223
If the more expensive ammo shoots better I would run that.
Its hard to say exactly why the cheaper stuff jams, Is it steel cased or lacquer finished?
AR's are more accurate, However the ballistics of the 7.62 aren't as good as the .223/5.56, But that all depends on how far you shoot.
Keep it, You will get more as funds allow.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlarkin View Post
Hi everyone. First off let me say that I'm totally new to the gun world so please excuse me if I say something wrong I'm learning alot about this stuff and in a pretty fast time but I love it all ready.
My first question is that on a whim I bought a DPMS AR Sporticle(I think its called) its chambered in the 7.62x39. What is this gun called exactly? I have been told its an ARAK, AR47
Second question when I bought the gun I was told to get the cheap ammo they had because it doesn't matter what you shoot in this caliber, it is the Yugo FMJ copper jacket. The problem is that it jams up all the time, it fires and then you have to re cock it etc. When I shoot the Remington brand I got at Bass Pro Shop it fires with no problems at all but its much more expensive. I assume that the cheap stuff is to dirty or corrosive or something. Can anyone tell me what this problem might be and what I should look for in buying ammo. I love the gun and is awesomely accurate so I hope its not the gun and just the ammo. Also since I'm new to this is this gun a good one to keep around or is it just an odd one to have and should get an AK in order to shoot this caliber of round? All I know is that the AR is more accurate and thats why I bought it instead. Is that true? Thanks everyone for reading this short book and helping me out.
A lot of the older Com Block ammo is steel cased and covered in this obnoxious lacquer that starts making the rounds stick to you chamber as soon as the gun heats up and gets dirty. The gun store took advantage of you. Ammo is VERY important when it comes to reliability and accuracy.
The newer steel cased stuff uses a polymer instead of the lacquer and supposedly is better but I have no experience with it because I don't run steel cased ammo in my guns.

As a norm ARs are more accurate then AK but as usual there are always exceptions to any rule. Find some sales on good ammo and enjoy your gun. The DPMS Sportical is a good gun and you did well buyin one.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #4

the rounds I was using on the box only said it was Yugo copper JKT brass 7.62x39 FMJ, the rest is in another language. I assume it was lacquer. Is it not a good idea to use steel cased bullets that have the polymer? It seems that those are cheaper. I know you kinda get what you pay for but I'm just curious as to why the cost difference if I'm just recreational shooting.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I myself will not touch comblock ammo. That is just me. I didn't plop down $1500 for a rifle to shoot crap ammo in it.

Did you tear down and lube your ar before you shot it?

Here is a thread I did about lubing your AR. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-lube-your-ar-15-a-30881/

Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Ya I cleaned the gun and the first 30 rounds that was fired through it had no problems then all the rest of the rounds would stick or jam causing it to need to be re-cocked after each round was fired. When you say comblock ammo is that considered surplus or the ammo that's sold in the spam can? Sorry I'm new to this stuff so I'm just now learning all this Thanks for adding the link for the detailes cleaning of the gun, I will use this from now on.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

If that ammo is corrosive it's imperative and I mean imperative that you clean the rifle immediately after use. The gun store guy should be kicked in the buttocks if he sold you corrosive ammo without telling you that. Corrosive ammo can ruin a barrel overnight.

Other than that you did well. DPMS makes a nice AR, you got a bit of an oddball caliber for an AR but it's plentiful and cheap due to the plethora of AK's out there and if you ever want to use it for hunting the knock down power of the 30 cal round will be appreciated. I would avoid any corrsive ammo, steel cased ammo, any ammo with laquer or moly. I know some guys love moly bullets but in an AR I don't want it gumming up the works. Check out Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! and you can buy ammo by the bag full to avoid paying for the cardboard box part of it. AR's seem to be more ammo sensitive as a rule but that doesn't mean you are confined to horribly expensive stuff. Avoid Wolf and Bear ammo. For some AR's Wolf brand ammo is specifically excluded from the warrantee.

An AK will shoot anything at all, the AR is a different animal but better in other ways.