new gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new gun

I am thinking about ordering parts and building an semi automatic gun from scratch. What is the coolest gun to build while being cost friendly?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I am not an AR guy, they're too newfangled for me. But there's a ton of guys that love them and have built them here. They should be around soon to give you some ideas. Good luck with your build.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll chime in on what CA said! If you have $800 you can build a nice gun and there are plenty of links on this forum of members who have done exactly that!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

my buddies all talk about ARs, what else is there? Right now the only guns I am familar with is a 30.06, 30 30 hunting rifles and a .22 pistol, only ones i own

Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedtrucks4me View Post
I am thinking about ordering parts and building an semi automatic gun from scratch. What is the coolest gun to build while being cost friendly?
Definitly an AR. Get yourself a stripped lower, a Brownells catalog and a copy of Shotgun News and have some AR building fun!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #6

ok coolsteve, you will have to walk me through this, is it cheaper to build the lower receiver or order one already built? and same question for upper receiver?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If you don't mind a suggestion, head over to the AR15 threads and post your questions there. That will probably get you more help than you can stand.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #8

i meant to post a reply to you CA, what gun would you recommend?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm old and I just prefer M1 Garands and M1A Springfield's. Of course, building one isn't really an option.

I like big bullets and prefer what they're capable of doing.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #10

stupid question probably but have you ever heard of buying a kit that has all the parts in it instead of buying individual parts. I am new to this and a kit would be a good start. looking online at just the AR is a little confusing