New Enfield - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New Enfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1250 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 2574

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I hve a Canadian Long Branch no.4 MK1* and a Lithgow No1 MK111.

Wouldn't trade either one for anything.

But if you hand load, be sure to neck size only. These actions are just a bit "springy."
That sounds like my Enfields. I've got a No.4 and a MkIII* as well, and both are deer slayers. The deer hit the ground so quick with a .303 that sometimes I swear they're down before I pull the trigger. If it wasn't for the fact that the bullet travels faster than sound I would think the crack of the bullet going off gives 'em a heart attack and drops in their tracks before the bullet gets there?

In all seriousness, I truly don't think there's a better caliber for whitetails. I've got other guns and I've taken deer with other guns, but nothing puts deer down like those old Enfields.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #22

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

That sounds like my Enfields. I've got a No.4 and a MkIII* as well, and both are deer slayers. The deer hit the ground so quick with a .303 that sometimes I swear they're down before I pull the trigger. If it wasn't for the fact that the bullet travels faster than sound I would think the crack of the bullet going off gives 'em a heart attack and drops in their tracks before the bullet gets there?

In all seriousness, I truly don't think there's a better caliber for whitetails. I've got other guns and I've taken deer with other guns, but nothing puts deer down like those old Enfields.
What type of bullet do you use?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated! If the scope and mount is that ridiculous, definitely not gonna look into them then. Just one more question, what reload works best for any of y'all? I'm gonna put another 20 through her of factory and then start reloading since its ridiculously expensive to shoot
My No.4 loves 180 grain bullets (any kind) and that's what I've killed 90% of my deer with.

Also, there are cheaper scope mounts. I'm not a big fan of B-square but they do make a mount the replaces the rear sight on the No.4 and it has worked great on my rifle.

pc020184.jpg

Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #24

Those are some nice rifles you have. I was shooting some Remington UMC 174 grain FMJ yesterday and i usually put the UMC through my AR as well. I really enjoyed the rifle, especially the recoil, it was almost nothing which surprised me. How do the Hornady's preform? Im a fan of hunting with hollow points over everything else

Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #25

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
This is my kind of thread, I have a love affair with those Enfields that would make a Brit jealous.

Easily one of my favorite firearms. Thats a No.4 with the milled rear sight, can't be too late of a manufacture date, more details!!!
That is where you are wrong. That sight was used on very late U.S. war models (1/2) and Mk1* that were made into Mk1/3 that had both trigger upgrade and rear sight done. That is a 1948 FTF done at Fazakerley.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 05-15-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, but you've got a much nicer rifle. Your's is original and hasn't been chopped up. Mine came that way, and to be honest I didn't even know they came any other way when I got them. That was a long time ago and information was tough to come by then (BI - Before Internet). I haven't tried hollow points. I love the 180 gr Winchester power points and that's what I shoot now, but I killed the majority of my deer with 180 gr Remington round nose core locks. I really don't like round nose bullets but back then I shot what the store had, which was usually core locks. But those round nose bullets dropped deer in their tracks at 300 yards so I can't say anything but good about them. Norma was a great bullet also. All performed flawlessly.

I'm playing with some reloads now and I'm trying 150gr speer's, but to be honest that's just because I'm stupid. Actually I think all hunters are. We find something that works flawlessly and then we start messing with it. We find the perfect bullet weight and then we try something else. We find the perfect caliber and then we try a different caliber. We just can't help ourselves, but that's also how we learn. Go with the 180gr power points and you'll be happy.

I add the rest of this just in case you really want to get into tinkering with with your No.4, but remember what I said about messing with things.

There's a really good book out for improving the accuracy of Enfield's. I think the title was "The complete guide to accurizing Lee Enfields". Do a google search and you'll find it. You'll learn a lot from it. Those guns can really shoot when you get them dialed in, but there's a LOT to dialing them in. Trust me, get the book. It's expensive for a book but it's worth it. That book will teach you how to dial in one of the most complex bolt action rifles ever made. Almost every other gun is a piece of cake after you learn to dial in an Enfield.

I also recommend a can of JB bore cleaner. Just "follow" the directions on the can and use it very sparingly. That is the best thing I ever did for improving the accuracy of my No.4. I went from 3" inch shot groups to 1" groups at 100 yards just from cleaning the barrel with JB. Just keep in mind that you might not see any difference with yours after cleaning. My barrel is free floating. Your's has wood all the way down and there is a lot going on there with barrel harmonics. Fouling in the barrel (which JB removes) is one of many factors that affects rifle accuracy. Those other factors can negate any improvement you would normally see from removing the fouling, or anything else you might try to improve accuracy such as trying different loads. I learned that on my No1 MkIII*.

Unlike the No.4 the MkIII* has a screw through the end of the foregrip that attaches it to the barrel. I saw no change in my groups on it after cleaning with JB. Then I leaned that the tension on that screw has to be adjusted on each MkIII until you find the sweet spot for that rifle. And that's because of the affect it has on the barrel harmonics. It will flat shoot now, but again there is a lot going on there with harmonics. Your's doesn't have the screw but it does have the barrel band and end cap. All of that is covered in the book.

Finally, get a scope. The iron sights are great on those rifles, but there's a reason almost everyone uses a scope now.

Have fun!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #27

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That is where you are wrong. That sight was used on very late U.S. war models (1/2) and Mk1* that were made into Mk1/3 that had both trigger upgrade and rear sight done. That is a 1948 FTF done at Fazakerley.
Wrong, not quite, by 'can't be too late of a manufacture date', i meant in relation to the manufacture of the No.4, not the war.

BTW what are you saying is a 1948 Fazakerley? His or mine?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

That is a nice looking rifle.............ya did good.

When all else fails.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #29

Thanks! I love it and want another already! Haha

Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I've always shot the old surplus stuff and stocked up while it was cheap, I bought about 400 rounds for somewhere around $100. But that's all gone now.

I only have a couple hundred left and someone suggested Prvi Partizan ammo, I have not shot any yet but its more reasonably priced that a lot that I see.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP303FMJ174&name=Prvi+Partizan+P PU+.303Brit+174grn+FMJ+20rd+Box&groupid=163

I'm really gonna have to start reloading.
I found i guess you could call it a bulk deal from cabelas. It's 200 of the Prvi Partizan rounds for 160. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1209633&categoryId=0&parentC ategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=520 7105dac1084536fdbce7ced7541e0&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104 792580%3Bcat104691780%3Bcat104532480&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp