New Bolt Gun Addition
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New Bolt Gun Addition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Default New Bolt Gun Addition

Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua Magnum with Millet Scope and Harris Bipod. I will be taking it to the range a week from next monday to see what she will do! Only 100 yards here to test it on but hope to get some long range in with it in the future.

Second picture comparison: Comparing Left to Right 5.56/223 - 7.62X51/308 - 338 Lapua Magnum.

savage-338-lapua-mag.-1.jpg   savage-338-lapua-308-223-1.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Great rifle,Sniper.
I hope that scope will last a few rounds for you. That's a lot of punishment for a cheap priced scope.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

What kiind of base are you using? Most long range set ups have 20 minute bases. You likely will not get on paper at 100 yards. I have seen Lapuas that would not get fully stabilized til at least 250 yards. Don't be surprised if your 100 yard groups are less than stellar.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

My buddy's .338 RUM shoots 4" at 100 and 1" at 300

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Guys,
Thanks for the info. Yes I have been wondering myself about the Millet Scope enduring the recoil. However the guy I got the rifle from advised he has shot around 60 rounds through the gun. I will find out! Also I have a 20 Degree Base on my 40X Sniper Rifle and it has caused me no problem at all with zero at 100. But as you stated every system has its own quirks. I will send you a Range Report in a couple of weeks and thanks again for the information. I have got the dies, powder, Fed. 215 primers and 250 Grain Hornady BT HP Match Bullets for it to load. I will be using Hornady Brass to start due to Lapua Brass which I like very much is more expensive. If the scope does not last on it a Leupold is in order since a Horace is far too expensive for no more than I will use it for. Once again any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Don't forget a mouth guard, may rattle some teeth. Keep your to tongue in while drooling. You could touch one off and loose it!! Last but not least, a blast shield for the muzzle brake. Have fun with her!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 06-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

TEX!

Well it did not take long the Savage Model 111 in the 338 Lapua to trash the Millett Scope in short order! You as well as I wondered if it would hold up. 10 Rounds on the range this week and it was trash! I talked to the previous owner and he advised he had only shot around 20-30 rounds through the rifle total. It shot a foot and a half low at the get go! So I wonder if he didn't know it was about to take a dump since it was supposed to be sighted in at 100 yards. As of today the reticle adjustments for windage are not working.
OH well looking for a scope that will hold up under the recoil! I am checking with a friend of mine at Leupold regarding a MK IV?????? For that money it dang well better hold up if that is what I get. Anyone here having a 338 or larger caliber rifle with a scope that has held up please advise. I am going to send it back to Millett and see about getting it repaired to put on a much lesser abusive gun!

*Patrick Henry

-- John F. Kennedy

Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Sniper,I didn't figure it would last too long on that beast. I bet you still had fun shooting the gun though!
I'd try to save some coin,and put a Nightforce NSX on it,they will handle all the punishment that that caliber can dish out. That's about the cheapest scope that I'd put on one of those.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 06-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1859 Times on 1274 Posts
Likes Given: 685

You might want to consider a fixed power scope. I never spend much on scopes because I beat them up hunting. I have only broke one fixed power scope. Everything I shoot has a decent recoil. Not many guns have the recoil of a 3" shotgun slug, even the magnum rifles. Many successful match shooters use fixed power scopes.

Millet scopes are an ATK product. The components are imported from japan with meade labs glass in a millet. Also the story the previous owners told you was a huge clue something was broken. Every time I hear I have never shot this gun I run like hell. Had it for 3 years only fired 60 rounds. Run Forrest Run!

I saw a youtube video showing the yaw and pitch of a 7mm. According to the video the 7mm takes a good distance to settle. I have shot quite a few 7mm rifles. All I have shot were very accurate at 25 yards or 300 yards. The 7mm is the only rifle I have ever fired that the wind was not a huge factor at 300 yards. At 300 yards a steady spring breeze pushed the bullet less than an inch.

Barnes has an article about their hunting bullets that says if it takes a long distance for the bullet to settle you need to change the weight of the bullet you are using. The rifling is not proper for the weight of bullet you are shooting. I don't know if this is true for target bullets or calibers larger than 7mm.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-12-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A 3" 12 gage slug has a lot of ft lbs of recoil. More than a lot of large cal rifles, However if plotted on a graph showing time and ft lbs of recoil. A shot gun's recoil does not increase as fast as a rifle with the same amount of recoil. This is noticed by the shooter as a very fast hit from the rifle and more of A shove by the shot gun, even though the total ft lbs are the same. not to say that a shot gun's recoil does not hurt, but a large cal rifle with the same total ft lbs will hurt worse.

How would this effect a scope? I have never seen the results of a test. My guess is that the rifle would be more likely to damage a scope