Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New AR-15 Owner, please help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New AR-15 Owner, please help!!!

Hey guys,
I am now a proud new owner of an M&p 15 16" barrel, no sights, plain ol' rifle. I want to deck it out and have ansome looking/performing rifle! I just have a few questions if you do not mind. I was wondering what sights are good to get? What carry handle? Bipod? Front grip? I have physical limitations, so i must rely on bench shooting now. I have been noticing that there are two kinds of quad rails. Free floating and 2-piece. Which is better/recommended?How long of a rail to use with bipod and front grip? Are the ones on Amazon any good? I would really love any help guys, I am very sorry for asking so much. I just want a great gun and this is the first site I have found. Please help with set ups and accessories I should look into. I would love to have a great shooter, but to also look like a Law enforcement/military rifle. Look forward to input guys. Thanks in advance!! Can't wait to hear what advice and accessories you can share with this eager newbie. I look forward to any advice, tips, or recommendations of parts. I have orseder a few things, but i will wait to install until i hear from the more experienced M&P 15 owners. I would really love any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Go to www.redjacketfirearms.com that should give you some ideas on your new gun.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

take some time to refine your wants. Even knowing the model of your M&P15 would help. If your going to be shooting mainly from a bench then you need a scope mount and a scope or dot/reflex sight. Scope does not need to be high dollar just a decent hunting rifle scope in the 150 dollar range or up also tends to be low in cost that most dots. Look at RRA for one of there scope mounts. Don't use a bolt or clamp on bi-pod. Get a adjustable rest like this. Amazon.com: Caldwell The Rock Deluxe Front Rifle Rest: Sports & Outdoors And a rear bag. A free float tube would be wanted for best results but can weight. Model 1 has a decent basic free float tube at a good price. Open sites on a bench rifle are not needed or a carry handle or front grip or quad rails are not needed. Better to buy a good cleaning rod some supplies for an AR . Might want to get some 5 or 10 shot mags as the longer mags can be in the way for bench shooting. Midway usa had some ARStoner mags cheap made from SS and work good. Thats my view of bench shooting basic needs. If you can't run around there not much need for all the mall nija stuff. If you allready have the picatiny rail on the gas block you can get a basic MBUS folding sights fron magpul for backup. Or change the gas block . Cheaper than a high dollar free float tube and more accurate. And some ammo .

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-30-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

Got a picture of it? I know when I got my S&w it didn't have any sights, I bought some BUIS for it, does your have the low pro gas block in the front? If it does you need to be sure to get a gas block height front sight that is metal because the plastic ones will melt (my buddy taught me from experience) lol.
Another thing you can do is just browse forums, see a gun you like and ask questions about it, I got a LoT of my ideas that way. But you also have to make it useful for your needs.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeniger2002 View Post
Go to Red Jacket Firearms - Sons of Guns that should give you some ideas on your new gun.
Now that's not nice. It's like telling a kid to go play in the street.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #6

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

No highway during rush hour. Junk gun shop. The last time a went to a gun show there was some bunch there with every do-dad and gimic you could bolt on a AR and they had atleast 50 of them all mall ninja'd out.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #7

May i ask what you're using the AR15 for?