Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > New Addition 1903A3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
hehehe. looks like the stock is a non military copy. but im not expert enough to really tell.
Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks good. Why do you think it is not orig?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4469 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
well im still learning about the 03a3 and most samples i have seen have some sort of proof stamping in the wood. it is certainly older as it has some hand-oil staining in the right spots. the stock also has correct oil staining around the edge of the chamber area which only comes from many years of cleaning and lubricating oils. the barrel is a 10-43 reciever is a 1942 according to the serial number. it MIGHT be original as remington was cranking out recievers faster than barrels.

the barrel had several decades of just plain dirt but cleaned out well. actual chunks of grime and dirt fell out as the swab went down the bore. my bore light is broke and i gotta get a new one tomorrw, but the bore looks good. it gauged between 1 and 2 closer to one. so im happy.

gonna buy a spare barrel at some point to have one handy.

i dont care THAT much as its in decent shape and has not been re-arsenaled and has almost all remington parts and the proper mix of blued parts and parkerized parts.

the stock is very pretty with few marks but it has been used. all the wood fits tight with no rattle. thats something i havent seen on many 03a3 ive run across. since i didnt buy it as a collector item. i bought it as a shooter the research is purely curiosity.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
well im still learning about the 03a3 and most samples i have seen have some sort of proof stamping in the wood. it is certainly older as it has some hand-oil staining in the right spots. the stock also has correct oil staining around the edge of the chamber area which only comes from many years of cleaning and lubricating oils. the barrel is a 10-43 reciever is a 1942 according to the serial number. it MIGHT be original as remington was cranking out recievers faster than barrels.

the barrel had several decades of just plain dirt but cleaned out well. actual chunks of grime and dirt fell out as the swab went down the bore. my bore light is broke and i gotta get a new one tomorrw, but the bore looks good. it gauged between 1 and 2 closer to one. so im happy.

gonna buy a spare barrel at some point to have one handy.

i dont care THAT much as its in decent shape and has not been re-arsenaled and has almost all remington parts and the proper mix of blued parts and parkerized parts.

the stock is very pretty with few marks but it has been used. all the wood fits tight with no rattle. thats something i havent seen on many 03a3 ive run across. since i didnt buy it as a collector item. i bought it as a shooter the research is purely curiosity.
The stock may have been refinished and the cartouches removed. That is common.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
The stock may have been refinished and the cartouches removed. That is common.
thats extremely possible. the wood only looks like about 20-30 years of age as it sits now so it may have been done sometime in the 70's or 80's. it doesnt have the old dents and dings as you would expect from a stock thats been knocking around since the 40's. i may take it to a few shops and see what the consensus is. there is one in racine and 3 in milwaukee that may be able to tell me.

but i like it as is.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
after further research it is a replacement stock never been re-arsenaled. if my stock was original issue it would have remington stamp under the barrel on the stock. the original was probably damaged at some point. when that happened after the start of ww2 original stocks were replaced with unmarked c-stocks at unit level. when 03a3 were re-arsenaled the originals were usually but not always replaced with a c-stock and stamp with a "P". some originals may have two P's stamped in them one when inspected at the factory and another if the stock was not replaced after re-arsenaling.

to me that isnt a bad thing i like the cstock better than the straight original stocks ive handled. it was one of the reasons i picked this particular rifle. the stock was in very good condition with very pretty wood.

i detail stripped it tonite and it is all matching 100% R stamped. the barrel is a remington but may be re-barreled but it has the correct remington stamp. due to the disparity of date of reciever manufacture and date of barrel tamp. altho its possible the reciever sat for a year or more before being barreled. with all the common breakage parts like striker extractor and ejector all being correctly marked its very possible the reciever and barrel were mated at a much later date.

being a total 03a3 nub i found two things i REALLY like. 1 is i can recock it easily bu pulling the bolt knob without opening the action. and that little nob on the side that says off and on disables the magazine for manual loading with a full mag!! i REALLY like that.

the action is soooooo smooth im kicking myself for not getting one of these waaay back when they sold for 100$ the trigger pull has a bit of take up but it is super crisp. ive never come across a military rifle ith a better trigger. most civilian triggers arent this good.

Last edited by JonM; 02-06-2011 at 03:35 AM.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You will love shooting that 03-A3. Mine is also a 1943 Remington, it is a very accurate rifle and a hoot to shoot!

TXnorton