NEF/H&R Handi Rifle questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > NEF/H&R Handi Rifle questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Handi Rifle

Rhino, go to graybeardoutdoors.com their website has a large section devoted to Handi Rifles. There is a lot of info on this site including barrel change info. I have two Handis myself and when I want to learn something this site is my go to.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Hey all.
I've been doing some research on NEF/H&R Handi Rifles after looking at some Rossi Combos and being dissatisfied with the lack of barrel versatility in the Rossi setups.

I had a couple questions on the Handi Rifle:

1) The rifle has a .357 Mag barrel available. I know that you can fire .38SPL in .357 Mag revolvers. Can the same be done in a Handi Rifle? (cheaper ammo)

2) How complicated/time consuming is the changeout of barrels? Compared to breaking down an M16/AR15 to component parts.

3) Some reviews have said that recoil in larger calibers is significant due to the light weight of the rifle. Does anyone own a 12ga or 20ga barrel for one of these? How many 12ga shots can you put downrange on this platform before you need an ice pack for your shoulder?

Thanks in advance for any ifo you can provide. I'm looking to expand beyond 22LR plinking, and really like the versatility of changeable barrels. I won't be firing cans and cans of ammo, so having a different gun/rifle for each caliber isn't desirable. Plus, one stock with multiple barrels keeps the wife from being concerned that our house is turning into an armory .
1) Any .357 revolver or rifle can also fire .38 Special ammo, but not the reverse. The .357 magnum cartridge was made by lengthening the .38 special case by 1/10 of an inch an stuffing more powder in it.

2) The change out of barrels on a Handi Rifle is very quick and simple. Just remove the forearm screw, pull the forearm off, and open the action. The barrel just lifts out. Reinstallation is just as quick. Set the barrel in the action, close the action, put the forearm back on, and replace forearm screw. Doing it is even quicker than saying it.

3) I have a .30-06 Handi Rifle. Sure it has recoil but so does any .30-06. I never even noticed the recoil when I shot any of the eight deer I have killed with it. (Eight shots fired, eight deer dead.) Even shooting on the bench to sight in, the recoil is bearable.

On the H & R website I counted 28 different barrels available for the SB-2 Handi Rifle. Here is the link.

H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
the way i understand the barrel change outs is, you send the whole gun to new england, they replace the barrel & send the gun back to you. they will not sell a barrel directly to you for replacement.

if you want to be able to change out your own barrel i suggest one of the thompson/center guns.
You only send the receiver and forearm. You do not send in any barrels you already have. I have a .357 magnum Handi Rifle. I had a .50 caliber muzzleloader barrel added to it. For that I didn't have to send in the forearm as they made a new one to accomodate the ramrod.

After you get the new barrel made, you can change barrels very quickly and easily yourself. And for less money than for a T/C.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Sending the lower in to NEF/H&R isn't a huge issue for me, so long as the barrels are freely swappable once it gets back to me. I was under the impression that was the case, yes?
My main goal was to buy one rifle that I could swap from shotgun, to small caliber (.223 most likely), to larger caliber (30-30 or .308?).
Yes, the barrels are easily and freely swappable.

If you want to use both shotgun and rifle barrels on the same frame, be sure you start out with a rifle to get the SB-2 frame. Then you could also have a muzzleloader barrel added.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Once you have fitted barrels they swap out in seconds. In a larger caliber I might urge you to stay with a rimmed case(like 30-30).
If you are concerned about possible ejection problems with rimless cases in a Handi Rifle, I have had absolutely none with my .30-06. Fired or unfired cases eject without any problem.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
I had a handi rifle in 270. It was only good for a couple shots then lost accuracy because of heat.
I have had no accuracy problems with my .30-06, my .50 caliber muzzleloader, or my .357 magnum Handi Rifles. I have fired eight shots at deer with my '06 at ranges from 25 yards to 125 yards and put down eight deer. All eight shots hit where I was aiming. I have killed two deer with the .50 caliber. So far have not killed anything with the .357 except targets.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #17

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win73

I have had no accuracy problems with my .30-06, my .50 caliber muzzleloader, or my .357 magnum Handi Rifles. I have fired eight shots at deer with my '06 at ranges from 25 yards to 125 yards and put down eight deer. All eight shots hit where I was aiming. I have killed two deer with the .50 caliber. So far have not killed anything with the .357 except targets.
My 270 was accurate. But the groups opened up significantly after 4-5 rounds. I don't miss my Handi rifle one bit. I'm glad you like yours.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Last edited by dks7895; 01-08-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I have a .280 Handi Rifle with a heavy barrel, it is a good shooter. I have friends in LA that shoot Handi Rifles in .243, .270, .308, .444 and .45-70 and they all truly believe they have great little rifles.

Any company can have a hiccup, but NEF makes good basic rifles.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #19

I own a NEF single shot 12ga. It does have significantly greater recoil than a pump or semi-auto but nothing I would consider too great. It has been a great gun. I paid $70 brand spanking new, but a long time ago.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Any company can have a hiccup, but NEF makes good basic rifles.
That is exactly the way I look at mine, as a good basic rifle. Five years ago I paid, as I recall, right around $200 for my .30-06 with a 3-9x40 Tasco scope. I have since replaced the Tasco with a Nikon Buckmasters scope on the 06. The Tasco now resides on my .50 caliber muzzleloader.

I have some scratches on the wood of the 06 but I don't worry about it. It just shows it is a working gun. If I had paid 3 or 4 times what I did for it, then I might worry about a few scratches. And I don't expect it to be as accurate as those much more expensive rifles, but I still hit whatever I shoot at. As I said, eight shots at deer, eight dead deer.