Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: San Diego,Originally from Utah. Stationed in California sadly.... Damn Gun Laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans View Post
In Colorado, the minimum is .240 for large game. That would be a felony, not one I'm interested in pursuing.

As far as the other replies, I did explain what I'm trying to do ...

I want to have a RIFLE in a caliber that I will use that I can take down .. OR fold ...for the purpose of hiking into the national forest and doing target practice where it is legal WITH a caliber that I will actually hunt DEER or ELK with.

I already carrry a handgun and do not plan to hunt with one. Not interested in a rifle for self-defense, but for target practice and eventually hunting.

The location I am looking at doing the target practice can be reached by
1 ... driving 30 miles
2... hiking 3 miles.
However, the LOWER PART of the trail is full of citizens who will go "Oh my, a rifle is sticking out of his pack. Call the police! "

it is perfectly legal to carry, it just causes consternation among the citizenry.

At this time: I have decided to go with the Browning BLR takedown.

So, thanks very much for all the help,

Pat
Colorado Springs, CO
No prob Pat. That's why we are here my friend!

Livin The Dream.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #72

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
In Colorado, the minimum is .240 for large game. That would be a felony, not one I'm interested in pursuing.

As far as the other replies, I did explain what I'm trying to do ...

I want to have a RIFLE in a caliber that I will use that I can take down .. OR fold ...for the purpose of hiking into the national forest and doing target practice where it is legal WITH a caliber that I will actually hunt DEER or ELK with.

I already carrry a handgun and do not plan to hunt with one. Not interested in a rifle for self-defense, but for target practice and eventually hunting.

The location I am looking at doing the target practice can be reached by
1 ... driving 30 miles
2... hiking 3 miles.
However, the LOWER PART of the trail is full of citizens who will go "Oh my, a rifle is sticking out of his pack. Call the police! "

it is perfectly legal to carry, it just causes consternation among the citizenry.

At this time: I have decided to go with the Browning BLR takedown.

So, thanks very much for all the help,

Pat
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm confused here, I didn't think the OP was from CO. For some reason I can't seem to find where you were the OP in this thread yet you seem to be getting attitude because people aren't answering "your" questions appropriately in your opinion.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #73

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Pat;
This thread has me salavating over one also and I need it like a hole in the head (maybe this isn't the place to use that particular cliche -- lol). Please don't tell me you are getting the .243!

Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #74

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I'm confused here, I didn't think the OP was from CO. For some reason I can't seem to find where you were the OP in this thread yet you seem to be getting attitude because people aren't answering "your" questions appropriately in your opinion.

I'm sorry if I'm giving that impression. and I DO acknowledge that I've been hijacking the OP's thread.

I guess I should have started a new one.

In any case , if there was any attitude, accept my apology.

Thanks for the answers,

Pat

Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Pat;
This thread has me salavating over one also and I need it like a hole in the head (maybe this isn't the place to use that particular cliche -- lol). Please don't tell me you are getting the .243!
Probably looking at at least another 270... but thinking of the 308 or 7mm.
I currently have a Remington 700 in 270... I'd love to figure a way to fold THAT in half!!!! I love that gun.

When I DO drive up to the forest , a 30 something mile drive one way, I take along most of my firearms... even my recurve bow!

Thanks,

Pat

Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #76

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm giving that impression. and I DO acknowledge that I've been hijacking the OP's thread.

I guess I should have started a new one.

In any case , if there was any attitude, accept my apology.

Thanks for the answers,

Pat
Sorry as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #77

I agree with the. 30-30 lever action recommendation. I use a Marlin 336 lever action for exactly the purpose you would be. I hunt and plink with it and I absolutely love the gun. It is short and relatively light weight for carrying in thick forrest and has killed every hog I have ever shot, no problem. I use 150 grain Remington Corelok and it shoots like a dream. In fact I am taking it on a back country hog hunt next month in the Ozarks with some buddies. And if you want a little extra pop, pick up some Corbon, Barnes TSX or Hornady LeveRevolution ammo. Or, for the east coast woodsman, the 336 comes in 35 Remington which is a bit more expensive ammo but will also drop pretty much anything you point it at. Enjoy and be safe!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #78

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

I am fairly unfamiliar with many a hunting law in many states but I would think a pistol caliber carbine may fit the bill for much of what was requested. Something like the KelTec sub2000 in. 40 s&w would go give you some level of potency despite pistol cartridges being a bit diminutive... a good +p round through the carbine length barrel would bring with it some lethal effects... beside that the rifle folds in half...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator
I am fairly unfamiliar with many a hunting law in many states but I would think a pistol caliber carbine may fit the bill for much of what was requested. Something like the KelTec sub2000 in. 40 s&w would go give you some level of potency despite pistol cartridges being a bit diminutive... a good +p round through the carbine length barrel would bring with it some lethal effects... beside that the rifle folds in half...
That is another great option. It is fun to shoot a pretty handy little carbine, even with FMJs. I have shot both the 9mm and .40 versions and they are plenty accurate. And nothing is going to argue with 30 rounds of 165-180 grain .40 s&w, provided local ordinances allow hunting with pistol calibers

Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
9mm and .40... that's very usable. Gee, I might have to buy two guns.

I was in Walmart this morning buying ammo, and a guy was telling the sales-lady, "I don't really need another gun...."

Of course, I had to butt in and say, "Gee, what's NEED got to do with it! "

I have a sickness , I tell ya.

I just happen to really like guns. Especially rifles.

Later,

Pat