Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle. - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans View Post
mjkeat,

My AR would be fine for just plinking in the woods... But I wanted something that I could simulate hunting deer or even elk with .

In CO, the 223 is too small for deer.only for varmints and small game.. So, I would have to step up to a 308, if I wanted to stick with an AR.

So, if I'm buying... I want to make sure I get what I want.

Course, I'm not the OP, or the only one asking, I'm sure.

Someone mentioned a mini-30 with a folding stock. I think that would be great too.

I looked at the BLR takedown yesterday. It is chambered in a large variety of calibers. I'm pretty sold on that right now. BUT, they ain't cheap! Round $800-1000 ...

Thanks,

Pat
With advancements in ammunition you may be surprised at what you can do w/ 5.56.

I don't remember the OP mentioning anything about hunting larger game like Elk but only skimmed this thread outside of the original post. He mentioned 30-06 is unnecessary in his area which led me to believe if hunting was involved it would be of smaller game. My interpritation from the OP is it's more of a self defense, plinking type of need. A nice AR in 300 BLK (.308 in a 5.56 case) would be great. Rugged, light weight, accurate, fast follow-up shots, and proven. You can put one together for $700.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #62

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

He's backpacking. I think a handgun may be more appropriate than a rifle.
A handgun could do the dual-purpose of hunting sometimes and animal defense other times.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #63

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
He's backpacking. I think a handgun may be more appropriate than a rifle.
A handgun could do the dual-purpose of hunting sometimes and animal defense other times.
Valid point, it had crossed my mind, but he asked about rifles.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #64

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

He did say rifles, but I think he should think it over about what he's doing. He said backpacking and camping, so i think he should look at a handgun for that. It's a no brainer. He could focus on hiking more without a sling or carried rifle getting in the way too.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #65

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Folding stock AK of some sort. They are reliable, can be folded into a compact condition for carrying and they come in 3 calibers.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #66

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1591

I know the OP stated $450 but he also stated no BS tough so I'm surprised there are not more votes for a good AR? No group of people on Earth are better at breaking stuff than Soldiers and in 6 years of Infantry service I never saw a single A2 broken in the field.

Tack

Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #67

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheWoods
I hope that I am posting this in the correct sub forum, as I wasn't sure if hunting or long rifles was correct.

I am a frequent backpacker and camper (I usually go solo, its therapeutic for me), and get into some some tougher terrain. I currently own a Remington 710 that I received as a gift in 2002, and have barely used it simply because I have never enjoyed the .30-06 round (which is also unnecessary around these parts).

What I am seeking out is a seriously tough, never die rifle that is accurate and of a light-ish weight. I abuse my rifles pretty bad, and would love some suggestions on where I should look. I am not stuck on the Remington brand either, though it would be a plus.

I also feel it is important to mention that I could not afford anything really over 650 dollars (though I'm willing to consider higher prices).

I would love to trade this 710, but that is for another sub forum.

Thank you all for your time,

Fletch.
I know this is an old post but if you haven't foung you're rifle I suggest a mini 14 or a high point carbine in .40s&w or .45apc. The high point being if you don't mind a pistol cartridge. Just my two cents. Happy trails!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #68

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans
mjkeat,

My AR would be fine for just plinking in the woods... But I wanted something that I could simulate hunting deer or even elk with .

In CO, the 223 is too small for deer.only for varmints and small game.. So, I would have to step up to a 308, if I wanted to stick with an AR.

So, if I'm buying... I want to make sure I get what I want.

Course, I'm not the OP, or the only one asking, I'm sure.

Someone mentioned a mini-30 with a folding stock. I think that would be great too.

I looked at the BLR takedown yesterday. It is chambered in a large variety of calibers. I'm pretty sold on that right now. BUT, they ain't cheap! Round $800-1000 ...

Thanks,

Pat
Actually the .223 does just as good as the 7.62x39 for deer hunting. I've used both an sks and ar deer hunting and will take the ar any day. The .223 does pretty good, and there are a few other members that use it as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #69

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

If I were shopping for a pack rifle a mosin would NOT be on my list. I have 2 of em and love em but they weigh in pretty high and even the short ones are fairly long and cumbersome for the purposes stated. Also, when I threw a good synthetic stock on the one I am modifying, it actually weighed a couple ounces more.... who knew... I second the idea of the ruger scout rifle. Neat little package... savage has a number of good offerings for reasonable prices... start your search with used and save some dough... you know its getting scratched and beat on so start with something you won't be shy about packing in with...

Old 02-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #70

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Actually the .223 does just as good as the 7.62x39 for deer hunting. I've used both an sks and ar deer hunting and will take the ar any day. The .223 does pretty good, and there are a few other members that use it as well.
In Colorado, the minimum is .240 for large game. That would be a felony, not one I'm interested in pursuing.

Of course, Im not the OP, and I'm hijacking his thread. Please forgive the hubris!

As far as the other replies, I did explain what I'm trying to do ...

I want to have a RIFLE in a caliber that I will use that I can take down .. OR fold ...for the purpose of hiking into the national forest and doing target practice where it is legal WITH a caliber that I will actually hunt DEER or ELK with.

I already carrry a handgun and do not plan to hunt with one. Not interested in a rifle for self-defense, but for target practice and eventually hunting.

The location I am looking at doing the target practice can be reached by
1 ... driving 30 miles
2... hiking 3 miles.
However, the LOWER PART of the trail is full of citizens who will go "Oh my, a rifle is sticking out of his pack. Call the police! "

it is perfectly legal to carry, it just causes consternation among the citizenry.

At this time: I have decided to go with the Browning BLR takedown.

So, thanks very much for all the help,

Pat
Colorado Springs, CO

Last edited by pnolans; 02-13-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: more clarity