Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle. - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i am for any carbine length, lever action in 30-30, 357mag. or 44mag. handy and plenty of power at shorter ranges.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #52

Location: San Diego,Originally from Utah. Stationed in California sadly.... Damn Gun Laws.

Are you looking for a "guide gun" type of rifle? I find that those are best for that kind of situation. You usually get more versatility.

I personally suggest the Ruger GSR (I am aware that it is a "Scout Rifle"). It may be new but it's roots sure as hell are not, You can depend on the '77 action and having back up Iron Sights is a plus. That and the .308 round is a decent round in itself. Removable box magazine is a plus (quick reloading) and the overall length of the rifle is definitely a plus for hiking. I've done my fair share of backpacking up in the hills around my town and I've even been stalked by a mountain lion once (I only had my 10/22 at the time and concentrated on getting back to my truck as soon as possible, I was not about to piss that cat off) and that was a lesson learned to keep a decent PDW on me when I go out and the GSR has fulfilled that quite well.

Livin The Dream.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #53

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Established experience in the safe shooting sports clearly suggest the Mini-30 just doesn't work well with cheap comblock ammo. For a gun that must be utterly reliable, to buck or test this comprehensive understanding would be foolhardy IMO.

From Ruger Manual of the Mini-30:

AMMUNITION
RUGER® MINI THIRTY RIFLES are chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm
cartridge, and can use either standard U.S. military or factory loaded sporting
7.62 x 39mm cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice.

Do not attempt to use any other cartridges in this rifle, even though “7.62mm”
may appear in their names (i.e., 7.62 x 51mm NATO [.308 Winchester]; 7.62
Tokarev; 7.62 x 54 Rimmed Russian, etc.).

The Mini-14 Ranch and Mini Thirty Rifles are designed to use either standardized
U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting cartridges manufactured in accordance
with U.S. industry practice. Always be careful to ensure you are using the correct
ammunition for your rifle. See “Ammunition Notice” & “Warning -
Ammunition,” below.

USE ONLY FACTORY AMMUNITION LOADED
TO U.S. INDUSTRY STANDARDS

WARNING –AMMUNITION
Death, serious injury, and damage can result from the use of wrong ammunition, bore obstructions, powder overloads, or incorrect cartridge components. Even the strongest gun can be “blown up” as a result of excess pressure. Always wear shooting glasses and hearing protectors.
IMPROPER AMMUNITION DESTROYS GUNS

AMMUNITION (CARTRIDGES) NOTICE
WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN CONNECTION WITH, OR AS THE RESULT OF, THE USE IN RUGER FIREARMS OF FAULTY, OR NONSTANDARD, OR “REMANUFACTURED” OR HAND LOADED (RELOADED) AMMUNITION, OR OF CARTRIDGES OTHER THAN THOSE FOR WHICH THE FIREARM WAS ORIGINALLY CHAMBERED

Steel-cased ammo doesn't fit the bill... Forget the Mini-30 (unless your baclpacking ammo will be limited to US brass, in which case it might be just fine).

Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #54

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Default Here's a pointer to the Browning website

Here's the Browning website and the BLR takedown... I"m mainly looking to see if anyone on this site has used or has seen/heard any feedback on this gun ..
or if someone has experience with something like it.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=003B&cid=034&tid=011&bg=x

This "takes down" and will easily fit into a backpack, even day pack and not have the barrel sticking out.

Thanks,

Pat

browning-blr-takedown.jpg  

Last edited by pnolans; 02-11-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: add pic

Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #55

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For a lightweight rifle that is dependable and still enough of a rifle to be useful, I would not overlook the good ol' M1 Carbine. It is very small and many affordable rifles are out there to be had.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Established experience in the safe shooting sports clearly suggest the Mini-30 just doesn't work well with cheap comblock ammo. For a gun that must be utterly reliable, to buck or test this comprehensive understanding would be foolhardy IMO.

Steel-cased ammo doesn't fit the bill... Forget the Mini-30 (unless your baclpacking ammo will be limited to US brass, in which case it might be just fine).
Not sure why you're mentioning this .... IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME...
I've never mentioned what ammo I would use in the backcountry.

As a matter of fact, I do not generally use the "comblock" ammo. Haven't in a REAL long time.

Thanks,

Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #57

AK-47= king of rug id but not very accurate.

Need some great gear or ammunition for your gun? Check it out: http://www.strikehardgear.com/

Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #58

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I skimmed through all 6 pages and don't believe I saw anyone mention an AR. Guys "hike" w/ them everyday and have for years now. They are durable, if you want to abuse a weapon give it to some legs. You can get on in anything from .22lr to .50 and they are light, short, maneuverable, and easily slung or broken down for storage.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #59

mjkeat,

My AR would be fine for just plinking in the woods... But I wanted something that I could simulate hunting deer or even elk with .

In CO, the 223 is too small for deer.only for varmints and small game.. So, I would have to step up to a 308, if I wanted to stick with an AR.

So, if I'm buying... I want to make sure I get what I want.

Course, I'm not the OP, or the only one asking, I'm sure.

Someone mentioned a mini-30 with a folding stock. I think that would be great too.

I looked at the BLR takedown yesterday. It is chambered in a large variety of calibers. I'm pretty sold on that right now. BUT, they ain't cheap! Round $800-1000 ...

Thanks,

Pat

Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #60
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

From Ruger Manual of the Mini-30:

AMMUNITION
RUGER® MINI THIRTY RIFLES are chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm
cartridge, and can use either standard U.S. military or factory loaded sporting
7.62 x 39mm cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice.

Do not attempt to use any other cartridges in this rifle, even though “7.62mm”
may appear in their names (i.e., 7.62 x 51mm NATO [.308 Winchester]; 7.62
Tokarev; 7.62 x 54 Rimmed Russian, etc.).

The Mini-14 Ranch and Mini Thirty Rifles are designed to use either standardized
U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting cartridges manufactured in accordance
with U.S. industry practice. Always be careful to ensure you are using the correct
ammunition for your rifle. See “Ammunition Notice” & “Warning -
Ammunition,” below.

USE ONLY FACTORY AMMUNITION LOADED
TO U.S. INDUSTRY STANDARDS

WARNING –AMMUNITION
Death, serious injury, and damage can result from the use of wrong ammunition, bore obstructions, powder overloads, or incorrect cartridge components. Even the strongest gun can be “blown up” as a result of excess pressure. Always wear shooting glasses and hearing protectors.
IMPROPER AMMUNITION DESTROYS GUNS

AMMUNITION (CARTRIDGES) NOTICE
WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN CONNECTION WITH, OR AS THE RESULT OF, THE USE IN RUGER FIREARMS OF FAULTY, OR NONSTANDARD, OR “REMANUFACTURED” OR HAND LOADED (RELOADED) AMMUNITION, OR OF CARTRIDGES OTHER THAN THOSE FOR WHICH THE FIREARM WAS ORIGINALLY CHAMBERED

Your interpretation. I called Ruger and they said no problem. New Russian mfg meets industry specs. Do not use corrosive. Even Hornady is using steel cases now.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.