Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you don't need a repeater I would consider a T/C Encore ,they break down to carry in back pack and you would have a good selection of calibers and even shotgun choice's.Adding another barrel wouldn't take much more room.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #32

Well, im going with my AR in 5.56 as my light, durable back packing rifle. With the right ammo selection it will kill anything that walks, and you will have 30 rounds to do it with before reloading. Plus if you look for sales you might find one for about what you want to spend.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A 16" barrel 94 Winchester is a good pack rifle and covers many possible uses. You may also consider a Contender rifle, breaks down easy and you can change calibers by changing the barrel. Not tops in a tactical role but super strong and stows easy for packing in.

Noblesse Oblige

Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #34

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snubshooter View Post
A 16" barrel 94 Winchester is a good pack rifle and covers many possible uses. You may also consider a Contender rifle, breaks down easy and you can change calibers by changing the barrel. Not tops in a tactical role but super strong and stows easy for packing in.
I'm a fan of the '94, but not particularly in favor of scratching up

that really nice stock. If tough, accurate, and multi-purpose are

more important than firepower and weight, the Mosin M44 carbine,

at 38", has been called "robust"...

Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #35

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Given the abuse you describe I'd agree that either a carbine length lever action or an AK with an underfold stock would be the ticket.

These AK's are not much fun to shoot but there hell & back reliable and the 7.62 x 39 russian has considerable knock down power for a short cartridge.

TACK

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If it's a pack rifle then weight is important. Also 30-30 ammo is easier to acquire than M44 ammo. I know that the Mosin is having a lot of interest lately, much like the SMLE in the 80's. And as a Milsurp it is stout and dependable but it weighs about 2 lbs more than the 94 and is long enough that stowing it in your pack( to not scare the Libs) may be difficult at best. That is why I also suggested the Contender rifle with its wide choice of calibers and stocks and it can be broken down easily. And dings on a field rifle just give it character and memories.

Noblesse Oblige

Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #37

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I think for what he wants the new Ruger Scout Rifle would be PERFECT! It's in .308, is light, short, and handy. And pretty close to his budget if he saves a little. Remember the street price will always be less than the MSRP on the Ruger site.
Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle Models

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #38

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snubshooter View Post
If it's a pack rifle then weight is important. Also 30-30 ammo is easier to acquire than M44 ammo. I know that the Mosin is having a lot of interest lately, much like the SMLE in the 80's. And as a Milsurp it is stout and dependable but it weighs about 2 lbs more than the 94 and is long enough that stowing it in your pack( to not scare the Libs) may be difficult at best. That is why I also suggested the Contender rifle with its wide choice of calibers and stocks and it can be broken down easily. And dings on a field rifle just give it character and memories.
Admittedly, you WON'T be able to break down a M44. You can get a much lighter synthetic stock to lose a few pounds of weight, but you would
have to sling the rifle, for most practical purposes. If you need to stow it in a pack, the Mosin isn't your gun.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #39

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
If you don't need a repeater I would consider a T/C Encore ,they break down to carry in back pack and you would have a good selection of calibers and even shotgun choice's.Adding another barrel wouldn't take much more room.
Also a great selection. My deer rifle is a TC in 30.06. This rifle is so stout I had forgotten that I could actually break in half. If you don't mind a single shot then the ability to pack both a rifle barrel, "scoped or unscoped", and a shotgun barrel is a huge plus.

TACK

Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #40

Likes Given: 1

Heres another vote on the 30-30 tough easy to use. You need to consider that they have been taking care of folks on the trail for a long time. PROVEN reliabilaty since the old west, And if you are worried about getting use to one, one time to the range and she will become a part of you. Mine is a marlin, winchester is a little lighter. Marlin you can put a scope on it if you like