Need some opions for long range rifle. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need some opions for long range rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1120 View Post
If you are looking for A very good long range rifle I would suggest the 8mm Mauser m48. I have mine for about 5 years now and that is the best long distance gun that I have shot you can pick the gun up for well under 300 now and has field sights that ramp up to 2,000 yards.
Can anyone else attest to this? I am on a budget but at the same time i am not in a rush, I dont want to skimp on something and end up having to replace it down the road. Plus I am gonna be building a .22 at the same time just a plinker but I want something nice...

Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGguns View Post
Can anyone else attest to this? I am on a budget but at the same time i am not in a rush, I dont want to skimp on something and end up having to replace it down the road. Plus I am gonna be building a .22 at the same time just a plinker but I want something nice...

Well, while a bit overstated, this is what I CAN say about the 8mm Mauser.

The German Mauser is a hell of an action. And the 8mm round has taken a TON of lives and even more animals in hunts all over the world, including game hunting in Africa.

Now, having said that, we are NOT talking about a Minute of Angle gun here. It's more like Minute of Deer.

The barrel isn't free floated, and in fact is subject to a constraining top wood cap that can exert negative pressure on the barrel should it begin to swell by getting wet. In addition, the Mauser's have a heavy firing pin, which travels slower and increases lock time ( between when you pull the trigger and when the rifle fires ). This can lead to less accurate shooting, but again, this isn't a precision rifle.

I believe that previously you were looking for a "tactical" style rifle, or maybe that was another new thread and I am confused, but if you are looking for a good rifle that will put meat on the table, sure the Mauser is a great choice. They have been around forever and the damn things keep running. They are well built, and in my opinion, under rated by the modern firearms culture.

Now, is it going to give you 1,000 yard, 10 inch MOA performance? No, it's not. Unless you plan on throwing a bunch of money at it.

The ammo is bit harder to find, so you should probably plan on reloading.

Shop your local gun shows, or used gun dealers and you can probably find a good one for a decent price...

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #23

Thanks dillinger. Yea that must have been a differant thread I am not picky on the looks of the gun just its effectivness. That being said i think its deffinately worth looking at cause of the price... oh the tactical thing must have came from my post in the .22 section. I am building a new plinker, part of the reason I cant go out and drop 2 grand on a new rifle...

Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #24

Default Spend some money for a Tikka Tactical

A Tikka Tactical would be a nice rifle to build a platform around. You can get one in .308 or .300 win mag.

Other good candidates would include the Kimber Light Police Tactical rifle (.308 or .300 win mag), FN Patrol Bolt Rifle (.308), or the Remington 700 VTR Tactical (.308).

Last edited by J33Nelson; 03-03-2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Here you go here is a long range plinker. This is a ground hog bustin buddy of mine. I may get to bust a hog with it this spring.

Remington 700 blue printed.
338 Edge
Nightforce 12-42x56mm
McMillian A-5 stock.

edge-1-.jpg

guns984-1-.jpg

guns985-1-1-.jpg

Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #26

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You need to shoot more different rifles it sounds like. I KNOW you havn't tried to actually hit anything at 2,000 yards as it would be damn near impossible to hit anything that far away. Then it would be 99% luck with an old milspec open sighted Mauser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1120 View Post
If you are looking for A very good long range rifle I would suggest the 8mm Mauser m48. I have mine for about 5 years now and that is the best long distance gun that I have shot you can pick the gun up for well under 300 now and has field sights that ramp up to 2,000 yards.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Calibers would be:
6.5 X 55, .270 Winchester, .223 Remington, .308 Winchester

Rifles would be:
Swedish Mauser, Remington or Savage bolt action rifles, heavy barrel AR-15 rifle with a 24 inch barrel and maybe a Rock River Arms LAR-8 that uses FAL magazines.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #28

I think on a minimum budget I'd consider the Weatherby Vanguard in .308 with a Super Sniper scope and Burris Signature Zee rings. That combination will, with the right loads, take you out to 1000 and a little beyond. The 168SMK goes subsonic at around 1000 yards, but the 175SMK will take you out beyond 1000. I think the setup mentioned above will accomplish what you want at a minimum of cost and will serve you well over many years.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #29

To the OP:

I've built a lot of rifles specific to longer distance shooting. They've ranged from 600 yard NRA prone guns to prototype 3300meter semi auto sniper rifles chambered in 408 CheyTac built as research projects for a foreign military.

This says "300m gun" but the owner uses it for 600 yard matches as well since there's almost no competitive 300 meter free rifle shooting in the US.

M-1000 prototype chambered in 408 Cheyenne Tactical. No, this isn't me and yes I gave him hell for having his finger on the trigger in the shop.

There's a wide gamut of applications in between those two and I've done most all of them. If you want to try out your 1000 yard legs get a 308 with a 28" barrel and buy ammunition loaded with efficient bullets of at least 175 grains. Buy the best optics you can afford and then go have fun. If it floats your boat and you really like it then save at least four thousand dollars and then come see me or another gunmaker with a known reputation for building high quality long range bolt guns. We'll take your money and you'll get a rifle that will whittle the X ring all day.

If you find that you don't care for it all that much you still have a rifle that can serve a multitude of other purposes or you can easily sell it and move onto something else. Understand that nothing, NOTHING in 1K shooting is easy or affordable. Everything increases exponentially. Time, dedication, effort, and MONEY. So be realistic with yourself. Is 1000 yards worth hitting a target 2 out of ten times with a rifle that is ill suited for the task? Is it as enjoyable as hitting one 9 out of ten from 300?

Last edited by LongRifles, Inc.; 03-05-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #30

Default Savage Model 10FCP McMillan

The Savage Tactical in .308 will be on sale this weekend at Cabela's for the low price of $599.99. I am trying to think of good reasons to purchase one.