Need some insight - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Need some insight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

The Magnification of the scope should be set at the same magnification you sighted the scope in at, if you have a SFP scope which most are.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/few-notes-about-scopes-29739/

Just a tidbit of scope info.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Your biggest problem is your rest. Who shoots off throw pillows? Get you a rest or some bags.

Great shooting bags. Shooting bags and rifle rests, by "dog-gone-good" they cost more than others but the husband and wife team are good people who are shooters as well.

I have these but I am moving away from them.

Caldwell DeadShot Front and Rear Shooting Rest Bag Set Nylon Filled - MidwayUSA

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #13

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Tons of good info here, just another reason why I love this site.

Sand bags are good to use as rests. I made my own out of legs cut off of old jeans. Sewed one end, filled with sand and closed off the top with zip ties.

As far as letting the barrel cool, like Txhillbilly said, you should be able to hold onto the barrel without it being too hot before shooting. 80° and sunny should take a long time to heat up the whole barrel, so don't worry about that. We are talking about heat from shooting.

Something I learned here is the dollar bill test. Take a bill and run it under the barrel toward the action and see how far it makes it before it catches. That A-bolt should be floated (I believe) already so the bill should come close to the front of the chamber area.

If you tell Tango your twist rate, he can tell you the weight of bullet that would work best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #14

Liked 875 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Your biggest problem is your rest. Who shoots off throw pillows? Get you a rest or some bags.

Great shooting bags. Shooting bags and rifle rests, by "dog-gone-good" they cost more than others but the husband and wife team are good people who are shooters as well.

I have these but I am moving away from them.

Caldwell DeadShot Front and Rear Shooting Rest Bag Set Nylon Filled - MidwayUSA
Thanks for the info. As I'm getting into the high power rifles it's looking like I should invest in a good set of those you posted.
I have a Marine Corps swivel stand but it's not even a little bit stable. I just use it to hold the gun so I don't have to lay or lean it on the wood bench when I walk down field.
I will say that the good firm pillows work really well with 22's out to 100 yards. It was work a shot.
What about a tripod? More for hunting I would assume?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Did you change the magnification of the scope at the different ranges you were shooting? If so,point of impact can change.

Also,Does that rifle have a sporter barrel (thin)? If so,the harmonics of the barrel can affect the groups at farther ranges. Try shooting a heavier bullet out of the gun and see if it helps your groups at longer ranges.

A good note to go by when shooting a rifle is if the barrel gets hot enough that you can't keep your hand/fingers on it. Let it cool off! A hot barrel will give you very sporadic groups.
how does the magnification of the scope affect where it will shoot? So if I were to sight in my .243 at 6 power at 100 yards, and I went to shoot at something on 9 power at 100 yds, my bullet will hit elsewhere?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGlass View Post
how does the magnification of the scope affect where it will shoot? So if I were to sight in my .243 at 6 power at 100 yards, and I went to shoot at something on 9 power at 100 yds, my bullet will hit elsewhere?
Read this post by Opaww

Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #17

honestly, I think that's a bunch of bull, the magnification zooms in but keeps the crosshairs in the same place, and the crosshairs get bigger when you zoom out....

Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #18

Liked 875 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
honestly, I think that's a bunch of bull, the magnification zooms in but keeps the crosshairs in the same place, and the crosshairs get bigger when you zoom out....
Dunno...
I have some big scopes on the .22's that I keep zoomed all the way in. I'll try it on a few of those at 100yds zoomed all the way in and then all the way out and post target pictures of what I get from it.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #19

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
You might think it is a bunch of bull but the FFP and SFP if fact do a little research on the subject before making a bull comment

Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
The Magnification of the scope should be set at the same magnification you sighted the scope in at, if you have a SFP scope which most are.

Just a tidbit of scope info.

i knew this but had forgotten through the years. on my 3X9s i site in on 9 and on my 6x24 i site on 16 power. Im wondering just how much dose change the point of impact the group should stay the same as long as its fired on the same setting.