Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need some insight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-some-insight-29935/)

CourtJester 08-01-2010 09:11 PM

Need some insight

I picked up a Browning A Bolt .223 last week. I put a 3x12 scope on it as soon as I got home and took it to the range yesterday.

50 yards= one holer
100 yards= not quite a one holer but if I settle in and relax, it's a hole toucher
200 yards= it's all over the damn place and 2 to 3 inches to the left of right of the bulls-eye.

All of the bolts are tight, the scope is in full contact around the rings, and I get the same results from all of the amo. 55 gr Hornady, 55 gr Ultramax soft tip, and 52 gr Ultramax hollow point.

I shot 170 rounds yesterday and tried everything (disassembled, cleaned, removed the scope and cleaning the rings, re-tightened everything) with no improvement.

Any ideas of why it would take a **** between 100 and 200 yards?

skullcrusher 08-01-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtJester (Post 324140)
I picked up a Browning A Bolt .223 last week. I put a 3x12 scope on it as soon as I got home and took it to the range yesterday.

50 yards= one holer
100 yards= not quite a one holer but if I settle in and relax, it's a hole toucher
200 yards= it's all over the damn place and 2 to 3 inches to the left of right of the bulls-eye.

All of the bolts are tight, the scope is in full contact around the rings, and I get the same results from all of the amo. 55 gr Hornady, 55 gr Ultramax soft tip, and 52 gr Ultramax hollow point.

I shot 170 rounds yesterday and tried everything (disassembled, cleaned, removed the scope and cleaning the rings, re-tightened everything) with no improvement.

Any ideas of why it would take a **** between 100 and 200 yards?

There are several factors. How was the wind? Did you allow the barrel to cool at all? Were you rapid firing? What kind of rest were you using? Were you magnifying the scope? Many questions and more info needed.

canebrake 08-01-2010 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whistle pig ninja?

Josey Wales '94 08-01-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 324146)
There are several factors. How was the wind? Did you allow the barrel to cool at all? Were you rapid firing? What kind of rest were you using? Were you magnifying the scope? Many questions and more info needed.

Yep, thinkin skull is right. That rapid firing in the bolt actions hurt me. Though when I went out day before yesterday my dads .300 WM was actin funny. Its got a Nikon 4.5-14 on it and its a Model 70 Win. Whenever he would adjust the (1/4 in clicks at a hundred yards) reticle at 200 yards one click would move the POI 4 or 5 inches. We would shoot the .30-06 I'm usin and an AR while we let barrel cool between shot sequences which were 3 shots.
Ideas?

cpttango30 08-01-2010 11:15 PM

First what kind of scope are you using on the A-Bolt?

Second what kind of rest are you using?

Third what kind of platform are you shooting from?

What kind of mount and ring set up are you using?

The ammo may be 1/2 your problem. What is the twist of your rifle? Need more infor to help you out.

joshfireart 08-02-2010 12:04 AM

i read post like this one and my first thought is to light of bullet for the caliber. and then the hot barrel then the wind.

CourtJester 08-02-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

How was the wind? Nearly nonexistent which is odd for Iowa

Did you allow the barrel to cool at all? Not really. It's was in the high 80's and I was in the sun. I didn't really sit and let it cool outside of leaving the bolt open every 3 or 4 shots while I went for a walk to check the patterns. I need a spotting scope.

Were you rapid firing? No. usually about 30ish seconds between shots.

What kind of rest were you using? Small throw pillows from the couch. They were ugly as **** so I stole them from the living room so my wife would have to replace them with something a little less ugly.

Were you magnifying the scope? All the way. Does that matter???

I'm new at this high power rifle thing so I have a slew to learn. I quit hunting and shooting (outside of trap) after I started road racing but still bought a lot of guns when the price was right and tinkered a little at the rang but only with .22's getting my kids started in shooting (my 10 year old got the sharp shooter award in Sea Cadet bootcamp a few weeks ago. WWWOOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!!!)
I traded some motorcycle suspension parts for a .308 Weatherby over the winter and fell in love with the long range effort. I just have a **** ton to learn.

CourtJester 08-02-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

How was the wind? Nearly nonexistent which is odd for Iowa

Did you allow the barrel to cool at all? Not really. It's was in the high 80's and I was in the sun. I didn't really sit and let it cool outside of leaving the bolt open every 3 or 4 shots while I went for a walk to check the patterns. I need a spotting scope.

Were you rapid firing? No. usually about 30ish seconds between shots.

What kind of rest were you using? Small throw pillows from the couch. They were ugly as **** so I stole them from the living room so my wife would have to replace them with something a little less ugly.

Were you magnifying the scope? All the way. Does that matter???

I'm new at this high power rifle thing so I have a slew to learn. I quit hunting and shooting (outside of trap) after I started road racing but still bought a lot of guns when the price was right and tinkered a little at the rang but only with .22's getting my kids started in shooting (my 10 year old got the sharp shooter award in Sea Cadet bootcamp a few weeks ago. WWWOOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!!!)
I traded some motorcycle suspension parts for a .308 Weatherby over the winter and fell in love with the long range effort. I just have a **** ton to learn.

Txhillbilly 08-02-2010 02:43 AM

Did you change the magnification of the scope at the different ranges you were shooting? If so,point of impact can change.

Also,Does that rifle have a sporter barrel (thin)? If so,the harmonics of the barrel can affect the groups at farther ranges. Try shooting a heavier bullet out of the gun and see if it helps your groups at longer ranges.

A good note to go by when shooting a rifle is if the barrel gets hot enough that you can't keep your hand/fingers on it. Let it cool off! A hot barrel will give you very sporadic groups.

CourtJester 08-02-2010 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 324409)
Did you change the magnification of the scope at the different ranges you were shooting? If so,point of impact can change.

Also,Does that rifle have a sporter barrel (thin)?

A good note to go by when shooting a rifle is if the barrel gets hot enough that you can't keep your hand/fingers on it. Let it cool off! A hot barrel will give you very sporadic groups.

Did you change the magnification of the scope at the different ranges you were shooting I kept it turned up high. No changes

Also,Does that rifle have a sporter barrel (thin)?
Yes

A good note to go by when shooting a rifle is if the barrel gets hot enough that you can't keep your hand/fingers on it. Let it cool off! A hot barrel will give you very sporadic groups How do you keep a thin barrel cool when shooting in the dead of summer in the sun???