Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need some advice and knowledge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yeah, OK...that makes me feel just little stupid and shows off my lack of experience. :-) So Im thinking the remmy 700 .308 with a 6.5-25x scope. Now if im not being competely annoying yet maybe some good brands of scopes and objective lens size? I heard alot about nightforce.

Also what about scope mount and rings? Certain types?

And lastly any particular type of barrel? Length? Does it have a brake or do I add that? Is a certain barrel a part that I buy after or can I get it with the weapon?

(maybe im over thinking this and should get the weapon and a nice scope and start putting rounds down range then with more experience i can start the upgrades later)

Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #22

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpirit View Post
Yeah, OK...that makes me feel just little stupid and shows off my lack of experience. :-) So Im thinking the remmy 700 .308 with a 6.5-25x scope. Now if im not being competely annoying yet maybe some good brands of scopes and objective lens size? I heard alot about nightforce.

And lastly any particular type of barrel? Length? Does it have a brake or do I add that? Is a certain barrel a part that I buy after or can I get it with the weapon?

(maybe im over thinking this and should get the weapon and a nice scope and start putting rounds down range then with more experience i can start the upgrades later)
I would say get the rifle and a nice scope and start putting rounds down range. Upgrades can come in time.

Night Force is a good scope you just have to pick the reticle you want. There are other good brands out there but I havn't had hands on experience with them.

I would go with a 26" barrel but a 24" should be fine. You won't need a brake with the .308 Win. cartridge.

After awhile of shooting it you may want to consider changing out the trigger for your first upgrade. Timney or Jewell are good triggers. I use a Jewell.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #23

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:

It's only stupid to proceed without asking. That's how you save yourself from costly mistakes. Nightforce is nice but in that price Range the hands down winner is Schmidt & Bender. The Marines agree and their new standard is the S&B 3-12x50.

For my LR .308 I picked (with a lot of help from professionals that bet their bacon on their equipment) the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 LRT with the M1 Turrets with a Mildot reticle. It is all you need to hit torso sized targets as far as you'd care to send a .308 slug, and it's about half the price of the NF.

Leupold Mark 4 steel 20 MOA picatiny base and rings are a great combo but there are others that will work just as well. I like Warne Tactical rings for about $40 less than the Leupolds. My preference is steel vs. aluminum for the base/rings since you are not trying to build a lightweight rifle what's a few oz more.

If you are REALLY going to be going to 1,000 yards a 26 or even a 28 is the better barrel length but a 24" is really a lot more practical. A brake is not nessesary but I can tell you it's REALLY nice to see the hole appear on the paper when I shoot and I will never build a LR rifle without one ever again. I can HIGHLY recommend the OpsInc brake. It works as advertised and it's built like a brick outhouse. A heavy bull barrel profile is the best but you need to get a Remington 40X or an 5R Milspec to get a true bull barrel. Remington's Varmint profile is the next best thing.

Out of the box the Remington - 700 SS 5R Milspec, .308 (with 5R, M24 Type Rifling) is about the closest to a true LR rifle as you'll get and the only thing between this and a real 40X is the extra tuning the Remington Custom shop gives the 40X but it's also about $1,000 which is about $1,500+ less than the 40X. I have several friends that are showing some VERY satisfactory results out of this gun.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-499-836-remington-700-ss-5r-milspec-308-with-5r-m24-type-rifling.aspx

As far as getting the rifle bought or built is concerned, do it right the first time and you won't have to spend the money twice.

Last edited by Wambli; 04-11-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #24

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:

Do not feel stupid for asking anything, and no your not annoying us. Everyone had to learn at some time in their life, and the nice thing about learning today is we gots the internet and this forum that can be helpful.

Asking today can save you time and trouble later, so ask away someone will answer.

This is my Howa with a SightMark 4-16x44 Standard MilDot. The sightmark scope is a fair to midlen scope for the money, good glass, very clear sight picture, Accuricy if this rifle right out of the box is 1/2 inch at 100 yards but can be better if one works up the right load and puts a lot of range time in.
p4070005.jpg  

Last edited by opaww; 04-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #25

I am currently workning on testing a new Sight Mark scope for a friend, it is a 10-40x56 Standard MilDot, as soon as I can really test it I will post a review of the scope on the forum.

Here is a pic I really like.

mmmmmgood.jpg  

Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #26

OH wait that is the ribs from last years grilling sorry

This is better, The first pic is Knob Creek range the day after the Machinegun shoot, My target is 100 yards out which you can't see in this pic, but the second pic is the target with my old camara hanging on the right side of it. The third pic is the camara after the first shot.

p4110002.jpg   p4110001.jpg   p4110002_01.jpg  

Last edited by opaww; 04-11-2011 at 11:24 AM.