Need some advice and knowledge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need some advice and knowledge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need some advice and knowledge

I am interested in long range target shooting. Ive always been a natural good shot and the only experience I have is the Army where I shot expert and ranges of 300 meters with iron sights. I am looking to eventually shoot at 1000+ yards. The rifle i have been considering is the Remington 700
.300 with a fixed 10x scope. Please keep in mind I have very little knowledge so speak easy however I have been doing extensive research. Thanks alot!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You came to the right place for an answer that's for sure. However, if you could, please go to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpirit View Post
I am interested in long range target shooting. Ive always been a natural good shot and the only experience I have is the Army where I shot expert and ranges of 300 meters with iron sights. I am looking to eventually shoot at 1000+ yards. The rifle i have been considering is the Remington 700
.300 with a fixed 10x scope. Please keep in mind I have very little knowledge so speak easy however I have been doing extensive research. Thanks alot!!
The Remington is a great choice, now that being out of the way, which Remington 700 model? Saying you picked the Remington 700 is like saying you'd like to get a Chevy. There are miriads of models and options available.

Second what is your budget? We can give you recommendations at every price point but it would be a waste of time for me to tell you to buy a 40X if you are looking to spend $500 and an SPS will get you there to start.

Third and this is a STRONGLY debated point. Why .300? Even if your eventual goal is 1,000 yards I know guys that shoot "Master" at 1,000 all day long with a .308 and their shoulders are not busted up at the end of the day.

Are you planing on competing formaly or just paper punching for your own satisfaction? Many types of competition have rules about chamberings, rifle weights and configurations etc so you want to make sure your rifle stays within the parameters of the rule book.

Please do not get nervous about all the questions, selecting a rifle for your purposes is a step by step process and you just got started. Even if you wanted to keep it simple it is still not an insignificant investment so you want to make the best choices at every price point and enjoy the process and end result.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Third and this is a STRONGLY debated point. Why .300? Even if your eventual goal is 1,000 yards I know guys that shoot "Master" at 1,000 all day long with a .308 and their shoulders are not busted up at the end of the day.
Come on Wambli,If set up right,a 300WM will not beat you to death.
Now you won't be taking it out on a tracking expedition unless you like carrying around a 12-15lb rifle all day.

While the 308 will certainly do the job,a 300WM just does it faster/flatter.
If you want a lighter rifle,I'd say 308 or a 300WM with a muzzle brake installed.

I enjoy shooting both calibers,and have shot up to 200 rounds out of each in a day,without "busting up" my shoulder.
Set it up for the task,and it's just a tool for the work!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Come on Wambli,If set up right,a 300WM will not beat you to death.
Now you won't be taking it out on a tracking expedition unless you like carrying around a 12-15lb rifle all day.

While the 308 will certainly do the job,a 300WM just does it faster/flatter.
If you want a lighter rifle,I'd say 308 or a 300WM with a muzzle brake installed.

I enjoy shooting both calibers,and have shot up to 200 rounds out of each in a day,without "busting up" my shoulder.
Set it up for the task,and it's just a tool for the work!
I knew this would become a discussion point

I agree that a properly set up .300 WinMag will not be ridiculously punishing but in all cases the same configuration in a .308 will be easier to shoot for longer periods of time and cheaper to feed. It's also an easier chambering to learn on than a .300 WM. I'm not recoil sensitive and my .300 WinMag is a lightweight hunting gun and I have no issues with the recoil but many folks do, specialy the ones new to target shooting.

My personal .308 has an OpsInc brake which reduces the recoil to .223 level. I can shoot for days on end with no recoil distraction and it is neat to see the holes show up on the paper through the scope. This is also a reason why I asked if he was planning on shooting competitively. Some classes of LR comp will not allow the .300 WM and some do not allow brakes.

Last but not least most folks that dream of shooting 1,000 yards will never really get there when they realize how much work, commitment and knowledge it takes to become proficient at that range and the .300 is slightly overkill for the normal target ranges most folks take on, 100-500 yards.

Hey I'm a big .300 WM fan but I'm just giving the OP who is not a seasoned rifle shooter some food for thought. NEVER said the .300 is not a good round.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #6

WOW! I thought the 700 was a model number!

Well I guess Im guna shoot paper just for my own satisfaction. If I get good enough I could compete but if that were the case I would buy a new rifle just for it.

My budget is maybe around $2000 for now. I wanted to keep the price down a little just in case I suck and cant push my range out.

And I was looking at the 300 cause like what txhillbilly said, I heard it was faster and flatter. My original choice was 25-06 but others corrected me.

Maybe I should start with a lesser rifle and learn to fire at closer ranges then work my way up? I would certainly not mind owning many weapons.

Last edited by JesterSpirit; 04-10-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have a 1000 yard target rifle in 300 Win. Mag. and it works well when I do my job. Felt recoil can be mitigated by use of a good timed brake and in my case I also use a 1" Decel pad. In a practice session or a match I usually shoot 100 or so rounds with no problem. The felt recoil of this rifle with the brake and the Decel pad seems a bit less than a .223 caliber round.

I have a Jewell trigger with pull weight at 1lb. 5oz. Good for competition, but I would set trigger weight a tad higher if your going to hunt with it.

For 1000 yards you'll need to get a +20 moa scope base mount for the adjustment in elevation needed to get that far out.

With the guys that I shoot with I've seen no one use any factory stock. I have my rifle bedded in a McMillan A-5 which works well for me.

When it comes to scopes you'll not be buying the average lower priced varities. The one you have may be fine. The club I shoot with use mostly Night Force brand scopes and with a close second being Premier Reticles scopes. Theres some US Optics and Schmidt Bender scopes in the mix as well. I use the Premiere Reticles 5-25X56 scope. If you buy a scope make sure the reticle matches the knobs. ie; MOA reticle - MOA knobs, Mill reticle - Mill knobs. Matching the glass to the elevation and windage knobs just makes life much more simplier.

The disiplin I shoot is "Practical Tactical" and the time allowed at each fireing line is 10 minuets to send 10 down range. A detachable magazine is a must for this endevour if your going to compete as time is of the essence. If your going to shoot "F" class you'll have more time to send rounds down range and detachable magazines wont be as much needed. I use the Badger Ordance detachable magazine bottom metal with 5 round AI magazines.

Barrel life with the 300 Win. Mag. will usually be give or take about 1500 rounds depending on how close the clearance your bullet is from the lands. In the case of the 300 Win. Mag. it's the throat of the barrel that will wear out first. I've sent 708 rounds through my barrel and it's still sweet but I've already ordered another barrel to replace it for when it goes south. I'm using a 28" Kreiger #9 MTU barrel threaded for an Elite Iron muzzel brake.

I also had the reciever trued and am using an oversize recoil lug.

I'm using my own ammunition with 190 gr. SMK's which works well. With this round I'm getting about 3080 fps MV. I started to develope a load using the Berger # 30419 210 gr. bullet last summer and had to put it down for awhile as the 190 SMK's were getting it done and I needed the trigger time more than I needed to spend time to work out a load for the 210 Bergers. I'll be back to working out the load for the 210 Bergers later this year. Also I found that the Black Hills target ammunition using the 190 SMK bullet works good just not quite as consistant as my own loads.

You'll probably want to get something like the Kestrel 4500 pocket weather tracker to get the temperature, barro prressure, altitude, and humidity to figure out your bullet drop. Also this meter gives you your wind speed and direction for windage deveation. With this meter you'll also probably want to get some sort of ballistic calcualtor that you can carry in the field. I use the exbal software that is available form Night Force which I've put into a PDA. If you have one of those smart phones this software will work in it as well. Theres a slide rule type of calcualtor for alot less $$ that works good also called Milldot Master.

Well thats all I can think of for now and good luck with your rifle.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

If your price range is $2000, why are you bothering with Remington 700s? Why not check out the target series rifles from Savage.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5512 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 358

try looking at savage. right now they are producing better guns than remington in equivelant price points.

you can get a realllly good bolt gun around 1k$ for a starter and get a reallly good scope for long range shooting.

i think your better off getting a super good scope it will move with you from gun to gun if you decide you want a different stick later. then buying a rifle with the rest of your budget.

just my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I beat you jon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!