Need some advice.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need some advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Would you do this?

Here a few months back, I got a DPMS LR-308B. Now I like this thing, a lot, but the main reason I got it was for hunting, and it's just not gonna be that great of a hunting rifle, mainly because of how heavy it is. I enjoy shooting it at the range as it is my only scoped gun, but it get expensive real fast. Now here's what I'm thinking, I'm thinking of selling it and getting two bolt actions in it's place, a Ruger 77/17, chambered in .17 HMR, and a Savage Hunter Model 11FCNS, chambered in .308. I would use the .17 for shooting at the range as it faster and accurate at longer distances than a .22, but still pretty cheap, and have the .308 for the hunting I'm planning on doing as well as some occasional range trips.

I've got a few questions though, one, does this sound like a good idea, and two, whats the difference between a long and short action? Is it just how far you have to pull the bolt back to chamber a new round or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Last edited by FCross7; 09-22-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Long action is 3006,7 mill mag,270 ect cases,short actions would be 223,243,7mm08 and 308 cases. long cases verses shorter cases.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I think your idea has merit. Unless you want a great long range semi auto.

"Long action vs. short action" refers to the overall length of the rifle action (receiver). Using a "long action receiver" for a "short action caliber" (such as .308Win) is unnecessary, adds bolt cycle length and the action will technically not be as "stiff" as a short action would be, which may technically affect your accuracy. You probably won't notice the lack of "stiffness" on your average hunting rifle, however.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #4

if your allowed to use the dpms semi for hunting in your area (we're not allowed to in Pa.) you could always get a .22 upper and essentially have two rifles in one. i'm not sure at this time if they make a .17 upper. nice thing about doing this is you still have your assault rifle and an economical plinker, interchangable by pulling 2 pins.

i did a similar thing last year, sold my bushmaster and upgraded my options on other rifles plus had enough to pick up a nice .22

don't dismiss the .22 as a range gun as it will hold the wind MUCH better than the .17, plus the ammo is cheaper, and actually for the same $ as the .17 ammo you can use a match style .22 ammo which is worth every penny.

if you decide to go with 2 rifles, that wouldn't be a bad idea either, depends on what you ultimately want to do.

long actions are usually a longer or magnum casing such as .270, .3006, .25-06, 300 win mag., etc. the action has to be longer to accomodate the longer cartridge

short actions are to accomodate smaller cartridges such as .308, .243, .223, etc. and short magnums.

the rifle overall will be shorter as the receiver and action is aboout an inch / 1.5" shorter.

the difference on the length of working the action would be about the same, 1" / 1.5".

Old 09-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #5

Thanks to everyone for the info on long vs. short actions. That's what I assumed it meant, I just wanted to make sure.

And to Top Predator, I haven't dismissed a .22. I've already got one, a 10/22, and will probably get another at some point, but I want to get something different, so I decided on the .17 HMR, not to mention it's about twice as fast as a .22 magnum.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have more rimfires than centerfires. I would rather spend all day shooting my 22lr than shooting my 223 or 308. Cheaper and easier on the shoulder.

I would keep the DPMS and get the two rifles you want to add to it.

I have a hard time letting guns go out of my safe if they shoot. If I am not getting the accuracy out of a rifle that I think it should be getting then I will sell it in a hot minute.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #7

I enjoy shooting the dpms, but it's too expensive. At $1 a round, it costs me a lot of money every time i take it to the range, and since school started back up I'm only working 2 days a week so I'm probably not gonna be able to shoot it at all until school ends. Plus I want to get something to hunt with this season and like I said, the dpms isnt gonna be good for hunting because of the weight. Thats what brought me to selling it and getting the two bolt actions to take its place. i was talking with Bear earlier and he recommended I take a look at Marlin, and I have since decided to go with two Marlin rifles instead of the savage and ruger. They are the 917VT, and the XL7/XS7. I can get both of these rifles, a scope and some ammo for less than I can sell the DPMS for, which is a plus for me cause I'm always in need of some extra money.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!