Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need some advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-some-advice-15184/)

CityBoy 06-27-2009 10:41 PM

Need some advice

Which of these two should i get a yugo m48 mauser or a marlin xl7 .30-06. Plan on using them for deer and perhaps moose. Thanks

CA357 06-27-2009 11:07 PM

First off, welcome to our little corner of the world.

I am not a bolt rifle guy, but there are a few that have been known to loiter here on occasion. I'm sure that someone will be along in a while to help.

:D

opaww 06-27-2009 11:07 PM

I personally think I would go with the xl7 in 30-06 myself, there is a lot you can do with reloads for 30-06, with off the shelf ammo it is still a hard hitting round. Here is a good link to read up on it.

Marlin’s New XL7 Bolt Action Rifle

Gojubrian 06-28-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoy (Post 122470)
Which of these two should i get a yugo m48 mauser or a marlin xl7 .30-06. Plan on using them for deer and perhaps moose. Thanks

I would have to sat the 30=06 because of the range of loads you can get for it. I've also heard that bolt actions are much more reliable and accurate.

I like semi-autos myself. :)

RL357Mag 06-28-2009 02:53 AM

A recent review of the XL-7 in Shooting Times gave it a big thumbs up for accuracy and quality. The Yugo Mausers are nice also, but since you can't buy a new one and therefore have no guarantee of accuracy, I would get the Marlin...

AR762 06-28-2009 03:07 AM

I would agree with the other's, I would buy the Marlin.

Since it is a new Rifle, there will be more upgrades available for it, like optics, Free Floated Stocks and Bipods. At some point, up grade parts will pop up, like Trigger's and they will be most likely drop in fit, not drop into your Gunsmith to have it fitted.

CityBoy 06-28-2009 04:22 AM

Thanks guy for all the feedback, well I was going to go with the marlin, but the yugo mauser holds some value for me, since its origin is from the county of my ancestors. Now i'm most likely gonna go with the marlin, but just out of curiosity is Mitchells Mausers any good from ordering from.

Gojubrian 06-28-2009 04:26 AM

I don't know.............................:D

CA357 06-28-2009 04:40 AM

This is very subjective. I do not own, nor have I ever fired a Mitchell Mauser.

I have handled one and it was certainly a very handsome weapon. A good friend mine who is very, very knowledgeable in Military Surplus firearms thinks they're a ripoff and not necessarily what they are advertised to be.

I trust his knowledge and judgment. It's your call.

masterPsmith 06-28-2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoy (Post 122575)
Thanks guy for all the feedback, well I was going to go with the marlin, but the yugo mauser holds some value for me, since its origin is from the county of my ancestors. Now i'm most likely gonna go with the marlin, but just out of curiosity is Mitchells Mausers any good from ordering from.

Yes they are. Some of the best quality Mausers out there.