need a safe- what do you guys think
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > need a safe- what do you guys think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default need a safe- what do you guys think

Stack-on 16 Gun Double Door Gun Cabinet - Dick's Sporting Goods

just wantt something in my budget to lock my guns and ammo up in

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #2

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

If you can get a scrummy POS gangbox cheap, it won't look like you

have guns locked up in a shiny, clean, new safe.

OTOH, there's a few inexpensive safes out there, I'd go for something which is affordable to you, but able to hold more than you already have, to
make room for new acquisitions...

Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My thinking on gun safes is a locked closet is as good (or better) as a cheap gun cabinet. They are neither fire-proof, nor much of a theft deterent just like a cheap gun cabinet. On the other hand they don't take up floor space, don't draw attention, can't be carried out, and you probably already have one for the cost of a lock.

I wish I could afford one of those jumbo fire-proof safes.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Last edited by Jesse17; 03-24-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1171 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Unless you are prepared to spend several thousand dollars for a real safe,most gun safes are nothing more than a sheet metal cabinet with a heavy azz door hung on them.

An inexperienced thief might not try to get into a gun safe,but a real thief will be inside one in just a few seconds with a large pry bar or sawzall.

If you just want something to keep the kids out of,the StackOn unit might work.But it will not deter a thief from your weapons.
You'd be better off reinforcing an interior closet with a heavy duty frame and solid core door with top and bottom dead bolts and a locking door knob.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 03-25-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been keeping my eye out for a small safe I can put into my closet as that is the best place I have in my current location. My safe will be fire resistant, alloy me to anchor it to the wall/floor to a person can't just carry it off. I personally would not get a cabinet because they offer almost no protection against these things.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Unless you are prepared to spend several thousand dollars for a real safe,most gun safes are nothing more than a sheet metal cabinet with a heavy azz door hung on them.

An inexperienced thief might not try to get into a gun safe,but a real thief will be inside one in just a few seconds with a large pry bar or sawzall.

If you just want something to keep the kids out of,the StackOn unit might work.But it will not deter a thief from your weapons.
You'd be better off reinforcing an interior closet with a heavy duty frame and solid core door with top and bottom dead bolts and a locking door knob.
Cannon, Liberty and other reputable makers sell numerous models for less than "several thousand dollars" that are solidly built. I read in a firearms magazine recently about a Cannon safe that some crooks tried to break into, to the point of making it impossible for the owner to open. Cannon paid for TWO different locksmiths to work on it to get it open, then, honoring their warranty, replaced it. I don't recall the model, but I recall checking it online and it costing less than two grand.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Heritage makes a decent safe. I had one for about 11 years now and had a small problem with a loose lock 2 years ago. I called the company and the sent someone to repair it in a couple of days free of charge. Best regaards

Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #8

Liked 1920 Times on 1220 Posts
Likes Given: 1037

As others have said, a cabinet is not a safe. If your goal is to keep children from your guns, a cabinet is o.k. If you're looking for security, go with one of the other options mentioned.
A lot of gun stores will do a layaway for you on good safes, making a better product more affordable for you.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1171 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
Cannon, Liberty and other reputable makers sell numerous models for less than "several thousand dollars" that are solidly built. I read in a firearms magazine recently about a Cannon safe that some crooks tried to break into, to the point of making it impossible for the owner to open. Cannon paid for TWO different locksmiths to work on it to get it open, then, honoring their warranty, replaced it. I don't recall the model, but I recall checking it online and it costing less than two grand.
I have a Cannon and a Liberty gun safe,and if I wanted to,I could get into them both in a couple minutes with my Sawzall and a prybar.
The sides,top,and botom of just about any "Gun Safe" is made out of 10-14 gauge sheet metal.The door is the only thing on a "Gun Safe" that is sturdy,and most of them can be opened by taking two wrecking bars and prying at the side and top at the same time.

I'm not saying that they are not good products,but they are no where near a safe.
I used to have a real safe,it was an old bank safe that was given to me.It was about 7' long x 6' high x 3'deep with double doors about 1' thick.It was on cast metal casters about 10" tall x 4" wide.
It took a 5 ton wrecker to pick it up and move it out to my house,and I had to use a tractor to push it into my garage.As far as I know it is still in that garage,I left it when I moved 11yrs ago.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

A cabinet will deter a "smash and grab" thief, but not a determined pro.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."