Need rifle info

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need rifle info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default Need rifle info

Hi i recently found this rifle in my grandfathers attic. It says "remington model 700" on the barrel. I dont know much about guns and would greatly appreciate any info i could get. thanks. (Sorry for bad quality pictures)

vacation-595.jpg   vacation-597.jpg   vacation-589.jpg   vacation-587.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

yep, looks like a Remington M700! some sort of target scope is mounted on it. looks like the barrel has been replaced with a shorter and heavier stainless steel barrel. also looks to possibly a short action reciever.

without much better pictures it's about the best i can do.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, also noted it is a pretty heavy rifle around 12 lbs or so i also think it shoots 6mmBR. Going to try and have more pics up tomorrow thanks again.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not to freak you out or anything Vortex, but I'd always keep an eye on that rifle. My friend has one chambered for 7mm Rem. Mag. It's a great rifle and capable of a high degree of accuracy then me or him are with it.

There is one flaw that's going with this rifle and from I've read, a few others of this make. His tends to hold of on firing when the trigger is pulled and you can sit there waiting the full recommend minute, heck you can wait five, but nothing will happen. But the moment you so much as put a feather on the bolt, it'll send that round down range. Just giving a friendly heads up.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Not to freak you out or anything Vortex, but I'd always keep an eye on that rifle. My friend has one chambered for 7mm Rem. Mag. It's a great rifle and capable of a high degree of accuracy then me or him are with it.

There is one flaw that's going with this rifle and from I've read, a few others of this make. His tends to hold of on firing when the trigger is pulled and you can sit there waiting the full recommend minute, heck you can wait five, but nothing will happen. But the moment you so much as put a feather on the bolt, it'll send that round down range. Just giving a friendly heads up.
Thanks any info is greatly appreciated! I'll keep a careful eye out.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:

Kaido, quite possibly that's not a flaw but lack of proper cleaning and maintenance. possibly the trigger or the bolt assemblies need a good cleaning and are possibly gummed up with old oil and dirt. if not then he should be having a competent gunsmith look it over and repair it before shooting it again. someone getting hurt or killed because of this is negligence on his part, because he knew the gun was unsafe.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Kaido, quite possibly that's not a flaw but lack of proper cleaning and maintenance. possibly the trigger or the bolt assemblies need a good cleaning and are possibly gummed up with old oil and dirt. if not then he should be having a competent gunsmith look it over and repair it before shooting it again. someone getting hurt or killed because of this is negligence on his part, because he knew the gun was unsafe.
Me and him both thought that too, we figured the first time was just a fluke. It shot ten rounds just fine after then one but did the same stunt on the eleventh shot so we put the gun to rest till he could clean it. But with a dry fire after cleaning it did the same thing.

While he was cleaning it I found a couple of stories, one aired on NBC and a few others where just personal ones. I haven't shot the rifle since then so don't know what it's doing now. But he hasn't mentioned it at all in the past bit so I assume its operating normally.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Me and him both thought that too, we figured the first time was just a fluke. It shot ten rounds just fine after then one but did the same stunt on the eleventh shot so we put the gun to rest till he could clean it. But with a dry fire after cleaning it did the same thing.

While he was cleaning it I found a couple of stories, one aired on NBC and a few others where just personal ones. I haven't shot the rifle since then so don't know what it's doing now. But he hasn't mentioned it at all in the past bit so I assume its operating normally.
research the NBC story further. NBC was found out to be ommiting many key facts and their story was found to be baseless. every rifle they said was at fault could never have the problem duplicated and those that were, the triggers had been adjusted lower than was safe. adjusting the factory trigger without doing the proper safety checks afterward can lead to an unsafe rifle.

it is quite possible that someone may have tried to adjust the trigger on that rifle lower than is safe, and could be causing that problem. have you friend get it checked out by a gunsmith to be on the safe side. when it comes to firearms, never assume it's safe, as this is one area where you need to know for a fact.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

research the NBC story further. NBC was found out to be ommiting many key facts and their story was found to be baseless. every rifle they said was at fault could never have the problem duplicated and those that were, the triggers had been adjusted lower than was safe. adjusting the factory trigger without doing the proper safety checks afterward can lead to an unsafe rifle.

it is quite possible that someone may have tried to adjust the trigger on that rifle lower than is safe, and could be causing that problem. have you friend get it checked out by a gunsmith to be on the safe side. when it comes to firearms, never assume it's safe, as this is one area where you need to know for a fact.
I never really dug to deep on the NBC storey, was just looking to see if any other rifles had the same issue going on or if it was just his. I don't think it could be the trigger since its a pretty hefty pull on it, but never know.

I'll see if he's ever taken it into a gun smith to have it checked over.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
I never really dug to deep on the NBC storey, was just looking to see if any other rifles had the same issue going on or if it was just his. I don't think it could be the trigger since its a pretty hefty pull on it, but never know.

I'll see if he's ever taken it into a gun smith to have it checked over.
when it comes to firearms, better safe than sorry.