Need a rifle - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergify View Post
So I recently saved up around $900 for a new rifle. I love firearms but believe it or not i'm clueless on what to get. I'm strictly looking for a assault weapon type. For target shooting and whatever else I may need it for.

I know there is a huge hike in prices and less availability of almost everything.

Any suggestions? I'm parcel to AK varients, I have been checking out some Bulgaria types, namely this one, http://www.impactguns.com/store/ARM-SSR85C2.html

You should be able to get into a decent, basic AR for you pricepoint (although I'm not so sure since the election, haven't priced all those "out of stock" dealers). If you like it you can spend as much money as you want tricking it out over time. I would encourage you to look for accessories that solve a problem or improve performance for you, don't just consider the ninja-coolness factor.

You can also order separate uppers/lowers from some companies, usually with a bit of a discount over buying complete guns. CMMG is another company that sells decent rifles, as well as uppers/lowers, for a reasonable pricepoint.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Decent ARs run about 1200 right now and Good AKs run about 700-900 bucks down here......hell they got some mini-14s brand new....they are 714.99 now....WHAT THE ****.....4 months ago that was the price of a decent AR by god that's expensive.

Really for the cash he's got....I recently saw a SKS M that looks just plain beautiful.

Takes AK mags....search around for them...

Look at that beaut...I like that better than an AK anyday....hell you can always get the tapco stock to get that tacticool feel to it...and it would look more like a polymer AK like that.

(stole the image off some guy who was selling his on another site...might go blank soon since he SPFed it. Just thought it was a good picture of the M. You can also find a D that does the same thing...longer barrel though.)

One I saw used was 500 bucks...so you are looking at 500-700 bucks.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 12-08-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #33

Treat yourself to a nice 30.06 M1 Garand, plenty about, clips available fun, and shoot on the button..............If you can't get it done in eight domestically?...................................

Last edited by Boris; 12-08-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the thing though. I like garands as well...but they are getting expensive as well as the clips (actually I don't know if they are really clips...more like the fusion of Clip and Magazine....probably the only time you could ever get away with calling one either way)

And the ammo is drying up....and after market ammo can be expensive. Still it's a great gun but since I have my own Yugo SKS which is today's 'garand' I don't really need one....unless for historical value...then I'd probably get an m1 carbine.

The cheapest place to get a good one is from CMP...which actually I can do now since I did a shoot out with them locally.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #35

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

You can get a DPMS Panther Lite with a 16" barrel starting at about $750 and still have some money left for some optics or other add ons. I got a Century Arms AR-15A2 a couple of months ago for $600. Of course that was a couple of months ago and I haven't been firearms shopping/snooping since the election, so those prices have probably gone up. On the other hand, you might be able to get a good deal because some places may be wanting to clear out thier inventory before the hammer comes down on another weapons ban. Just my $.02

Isn't the Garand "clip" called a bandolier?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 12-09-2008 at 02:30 AM.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Here is the thing though. I like garands as well...but they are getting expensive as well as the clips (actually I don't know if they are really clips...more like the fusion of Clip and Magazine....probably the only time you could ever get away with calling one either way)

And the ammo is drying up....and after market ammo can be expensive. Still it's a great gun but since I have my own Yugo SKS which is today's 'garand' I don't really need one....unless for historical value...then I'd probably get an m1 carbine.

The cheapest place to get a good one is from CMP...which actually I can do now since I did a shoot out with them locally.
My understanding is that the term for the Garand is a 'clip', but it's horses for courses you knew what I was refering to. I have not been in the US for 18 months and therefore a little out of touch regionally on what is available. I always thought that 30.06 was a national staple but you are in a far better position than me to advise. The term 'bandolier' refers to the conjoined light canvass pouches used to carry the loaded clips....

My second choice would be the SKS and I was really taken with the Yugoslavian Simonov that's about. Although I like the rifle personally as 'standard' without the after market BS and bolt on nonsense. I see no advantage in converting the weapon aftermarket 30 shot magazines and folding stocks some of dubious quality, when the original configeration is well designed, well made and reliable. Just the clips and a couple of boxes of ammunition and I would be good to go.

But each to their own as they say. As an inexpensive all round bundhook there is little to fault in it, I only wish I haven't reached my Catagory 1 limit otherwise I think I would get one myself.........

Last edited by Boris; 12-09-2008 at 05:44 AM.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Knight's Armament SR-25

Quote:
So I recently saved up around $900 for a new rifle. I love firearms but believe it or not i'm clueless on what to get. I'm strictly looking for a assault weapon type. For target shooting and whatever else I may need it for.

I know there is a huge hike in prices and less availability of almost everything.

Any suggestions? I'm parcel to AK varients, I have been checking out some Bulgaria types, namely this one, http://www.impactguns.com/store/ARM-SSR85C2.html
If you are looking for a good rifle with a price tag of less then $900 you can look at the DPMS Panther for about $850. I picked up a Cetme and a FAL for about $800 each. Have not had any problems with either of them.

But remember that you are going to have to find magazines and ammo to feed your new toy. AND that is getting to be hard for some rifles. Cetme's can use HK91 mags and you can get thoses for $2 for alloy or $3 for steel. FAL are a bit more something like $15-$20 a piece.

Me personally I prefer the 7.62 NATO over the 5.56 NATO. I used both during my time in the service and just felt more comfortable with the 7.62. Given a choice I would go with the:

1) FAL
2)M14/M1A1
3)HK91/CETME
4)Panther LRT-SASS/Knight's Armament SR-25

But those are my choices along with the AK/SKS thrown in there.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #38

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

Did you ever decide on a rifle, or are you still lookin?

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 05-14-2009 at 01:39 PM.