Need a rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
M16. In production and issued to troops early 1964.

Mini 14. In production 1973.

I saw the same American Rifleman--and if they consider 9 years a
"short time" they figure time different than I do.
the new mini 14's have a different gas system then the originals did, im sure if you check out rugers website theyll have the history of the minis somwhere in the site

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
the new mini 14's have a different gas system then the originals did, im sure if you check out rugers website theyll have the history of the minis somwhere in the site
Care to provide us with the link? The gas system is the same, they just got new tooling for the factory. There were minor changes for the NRA and Target models, but as far as I can tell, it retains the classic Mini gas system.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
you very well could be right i think i interepreted it wrong, my bad, but hey thats what these forums are for though right

Wars begin where u will

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
you very well could be right i think i interepreted it wrong, my bad, but hey thats what these forums are for though right
Yup, it's just a place for all of us to learn. You'll commonly see that I've edited posts, as I Google to confirm crap, as I post.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #25

While we're on the subject of rifles. What would be better all around rifle the M1 Carbine or Mini-14. In terms of durability, power, accuracy, and etc.

Although I'm pretty set on a Ak model, i want to find out about some alternative choices.

BTW, back to my original question.... What Ak models/companies are worth looking into that won't break the bank?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There is absolutely NO COMPARISON that can be made in the terms of quality/reliability/accuracy between the Mini-14 and the AR platform.

The two systems are night and day away from each other in those terms.

Bottom line, the Mini-14 is NOT the M14.

Any operated rod driven platform isn't going to be as accurate as a gas driven system. Any operated rod driven system built around a pencil thin barrel is worse than an operated rod driven system on it's own.

Please don't confuse internetz mythos with true to form fact.

JD

Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #27

Quote:
your gun that ugly plastic thing, it wouldve been considered as it was modeled after the m14, seen it on american rifleman. however stoner beat ruger to it, plus dont forget when the black rifle first went into soldiers arms they were junk. theres been soldiers who got killed in the feild with full mags and in the process of cleaning the rifle because the military decided to go against the chrome barrels
Um.....this is a mini-14

This is my gun

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. My gun has a better out of the box accuracy than the mini-14 comparable to an AR-15 bottom of the barrel....that says a lot.

My Kel-Tec a mini-14? What? I was saying I got this over a mini-14 and it's perfect.

*Edit

I prefer the m1 carbine over the mini-14....but .30 Carbine ammo is getting hard to come by...and after market is really expensive.

But....I went with my kel-tec because of the .223 Round...and the AR mag stuff.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 11-30-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Um.....this is a mini-14

This is my gun

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. My gun has a better out of the box accuracy than the mini-14 comparable to an AR-15 bottom of the barrel....that says a lot.

My Kel-Tec a mini-14? What? I was saying I got this over a mini-14 and it's perfect.

*Edit

I prefer the m1 carbine over the mini-14....but .30 Carbine ammo is getting hard to come by...and after market is really expensive.

But....I went with my kel-tec because of the .223 Round...and the AR mag stuff.
yes i know what your gun is its an ugly plastic thing, like i said earlier

Wars begin where u will

Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #29

Quote:
yes i know what your gun is its an ugly plastic thing, like i said earlier
Well this ugly plastic thing is better than any mini-14 and I REALLY doubt the mini-14 would be accepted as a military variant......

Granted I would like to own one...but I'd like to be able to know my gun is accurate at the 100 yard mark at least.

Mostly though at the range a badguy would be a mini-14 would do well...not excellent like an AR...or my Kel-Tec but well.

Most of the time the badguy isn't going to care about the looks of your gun. If it functions and it functions well it's going to work...looks have nothing to do with a firearm...unless it makes it uncomfortable to shoot.

If dog crap could shoot bullets more accurately than another weapon and was more reliable than said weapon then I would shoot crap.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

wouldnt you be worried about stinky fingers though!!! lol

Wars begin where u will