Need a rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Need a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
The perfect weapon for SHTF and home defense Assault Rifles/ target shooting for me is my new Kel-Tec SU16CA

It's accuracy is like a bottom of the barrel AR out of the box...and that's a plus...making it better than an mini-14.

It's got everything I liked about the AR and everything I liked about the AK within it...and with the ability to fold up for storage and taking AR-15 Mags it's a winner.

The model I got came with a Reflex scope and only cost 580 dollars before tax....after one mag and some ammo 640. This leaves you with maybe about 200-300 more bucks to spend on AR Mags and ammo.

It also doesn't get as dirty as the AR because of the gas piston system.

I love mine as it's got a threaded barrel...I'll be purchasing a Vortex flash hider for it post haste....and get HK or P Mags for magazines.

Need a rifle - General Rifle Discussion

Need a rifle - General Rifle Discussion

Also you can store 2 10 Rounders in the stock or one 20 Rounder or 30 Rounder...although I prefer the 2 10 Rounders...leaves me to color code ammo.
their ugly as hell, plus if ruger wouldve came out with the mini 14 just a few weeks earlier theres a 60% chance that would be the military's rifle instead of the m16. imagine everyone spending 1000's on minis instead of ar type rifles

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-29-2008, 03:49 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergify View Post
I'm looking for something that is utterly reliable, but something semi compact, not a long rifle type. Although I wouldn't mind a Soc 16. :/

I would prefer something cheaper so I could buy some mags and ammo with the left over cash.

How are the Panther Ar-15s? Only thing I'm worried about with the Ar-15 is how much of a beating they can take.... Not like i'm going to abuse it, but you know what i mean. Also .223 is a bit more expensive than a 7.62x39mm round.
I've seen M16s fall out of helicopters on rappels and saw one dropped on a jump because the Jump Master missed it on JMPI. They were all able to be fired again after having new stocks/hand guards put on them and having the barrel checked for straightness.

If you're doing bayonet training at full combat speed and force, you beat the hell out of the rifle. They continue to fire accurately after that ordeal.

The AR isn't the candy ass plastic toy that many people make it out to be. It does have it's share of problems, but they can be overcome with proper maintenance. They shoot farther and straighter than AKs do, that's for damn sure.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Are you saying the Mini is Ugly or the AR?....and I really doubt the Mini-14 would ever be accepted as a military varient.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

The AR isn't the candy ass plastic toy that many people make it out to be. It does have it's share of problems, but they can be overcome with proper maintenance. They shoot farther and straighter than AKs do, that's for damn sure.
Quoted for Truth!

The "flaws" of the AR platform are mostly arrogant opinion as opposed to true, actual events of a properly built and maintained AR.

The AR isn't the best platform out there, but if you don't want to spend $3K on a home defense weapon, it's a great choice that can still be had for hundreds less than most think.

JD

Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #15

As far as companies go, what companies make the best ARs for the cheapest? Any models that are cheap (under $800) that are worth looking at?

What about AK models and companies?

Thanks for the responses so far!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Are you saying the Mini is Ugly or the AR?....and I really doubt the Mini-14 would ever be accepted as a military varient.
your gun that ugly plastic thing, it wouldve been considered as it was modeled after the m14, seen it on american rifleman. however stoner beat ruger to it, plus dont forget when the black rifle first went into soldiers arms they were junk. theres been soldiers who got killed in the feild with full mags and in the process of cleaning the rifle because the military decided to go against the chrome barrels

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 11-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
your gun that ugly plastic thing, it wouldve been considered as it was modeled after the m14, seen it on american rifleman. however stoner beat ruger to it, plus dont forget when the black rifle first went into soldiers arms they were junk. theres been soldiers who got killed in the feild with full mags and in the process of cleaning the rifle because the military decided to go against the chrome barrels
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? The Mini was designed in '74. Eugene Stoner designed the AR-10 in 1954. To say that Stoner beat Ruger to the punch is just a tiny understatement. Besides, the Mini wasn't ever even submitted for a government contract.

Last edited by matt g; 11-29-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

im talkin bout the m16 not the ar10, thank you

Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
It's the same basic rifle. Eugene Stoner first submitted the AR-10 to the Air Force for consideration. They, as well as the Army, wanted something chambered in .223 Rem, so he redeveloped it to fit what they wanted.

The AR-10 and the M16 have more in common that the M14 and Mini do. Honestly though, it's not surprising as this is just more uninformed, internet misinformation that is so common on gun boards these days.

Last edited by matt g; 11-29-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
M16. In production and issued to troops early 1964.

Mini 14. In production 1973.

I saw the same American Rifleman--and if they consider 9 years a
"short time" they figure time different than I do.