Need a rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need a rifle

So I recently saved up around $900 for a new rifle. I love firearms but believe it or not i'm clueless on what to get. I'm strictly looking for a assault weapon type. For target shooting and whatever else I may need it for.

I know there is a huge hike in prices and less availability of almost everything.

Any suggestions? I'm parcel to AK varients, I have been checking out some Bulgaria types, namely this one, http://www.impactguns.com/store/ARM-SSR85C2.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

With the AK`s and the SKS you`ll be dooing good if you can get a 3 in. group at 100 yrds. I have a Rock River with 2 flat top uppers and both shoot 1/2 in. groups at 100 yrds. With the flat top you can mount a scope much eaiser and you still have the fast second shot with a much better point of aim. If your just wanting to brun up ammo you can have alot of fun with the AK or the SKS, and they are alot cheaper.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, welcome to the forum.

Secondly - You have kind of a broad scope there.

if you want an AK variant - I would suggest looking into the SKS versions, as they are more accurate than the standard AK and not terribly bad on price. However, Catfish is right, don't expect anything more than Minute of Bad Guy type of performance.

IF you just want something for "home defense in the case of" - An SKS will do the job and it should be relatively easy to find ammo and mags should you NEED to.

Now, if you are looking for better accuracy, then you might want to look at the AR types, of which there are still several that can be had for less than $900 - but it's going to take some shopping on line on your part.

Let the guys here know what is on your mind and in your heart and they will steer you in the right direction.

JD

Old 11-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

$900 will score you a Polytech M14 if you look around. They're by far better than any AK or SKS.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

check out springfeild armory's website theres alot of fine rifles there that are good out to 1000 yrds.plus very dependable

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
$900 will score you a Polytech M14 if you look around. They're by far better than any AK or SKS.
And, Quantico Tactical Supply has (had?) a special on Springflield Armory M1A's for $1193. That is a great price, for a bit more coin than you want to spend.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #7

I'm looking for something that is utterly reliable, but something semi compact, not a long rifle type. Although I wouldn't mind a Soc 16. :/

I would prefer something cheaper so I could buy some mags and ammo with the left over cash.

How are the Panther Ar-15s? Only thing I'm worried about with the Ar-15 is how much of a beating they can take.... Not like i'm going to abuse it, but you know what i mean. Also .223 is a bit more expensive than a 7.62x39mm round.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i agree the soc 16's are beeeutiful

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #9

The perfect weapon for SHTF and home defense Assault Rifles/ target shooting for me is my new Kel-Tec SU16CA

It's accuracy is like a bottom of the barrel AR out of the box...and that's a plus...making it better than an mini-14.

It's got everything I liked about the AR and everything I liked about the AK within it...and with the ability to fold up for storage and taking AR-15 Mags it's a winner.

The model I got came with a Reflex scope and only cost 580 dollars before tax....after one mag and some ammo 640. This leaves you with maybe about 200-300 more bucks to spend on AR Mags and ammo.

It also doesn't get as dirty as the AR because of the gas piston system.

I love mine as it's got a threaded barrel...I'll be purchasing a Vortex flash hider for it post haste....and get HK or P Mags for magazines.

Also you can store 2 10 Rounders in the stock or one 20 Rounder or 30 Rounder...although I prefer the 2 10 Rounders...leaves me to color code ammo.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 11-29-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

DPMS Sportical? MSRP of $699, flat-top AR. You could beat the price by doing your own build, but you would have to work at it. Throw some carry handle iron sights
on it or a low end scope, you should still have money for a few mags and some ammo.