Need Opinions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Need Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Need Opinions

So I was looking to get into target shooting. In the research I've done I have come up with Remington 700 30-06 with a Bushnell 8-32x40 for a scope. I am looking for a setup that I can start with at 100 yards and work my way up to 1000 (hopefully). Is this a good combination to go with? Also which grain 150 or 180? Thank you in advance for your input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud View Post
So I was looking to get into target shooting. In the research I've done I have come up with Remington 700 30-06 with a Bushnell 8-32x40 for a scope. I am looking for a setup that I can start with at 100 yards and work my way up to 1000 (hopefully). Is this a good combination to go with? Also which grain 150 or 180? Thank you in advance for your input.
welcome to the forum, mrmud! stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

okay i will try to address your questions as best as possible and these are just my opinions on the subject. the Remington M700 out the box is a very accurate and capable rifle and Bushnell makes very good scopes. it is a very good combination to start with and the M700 platform is an excellent place to start to build a target rifle as many have done. but once you start getting beyond a certain distance, you find the rifle has limitations. IMO, to ever achieve the magical distance of 1000 yrds or more, you will have to have much more than an out the box rifle. either ordered, built by someone who has done such rifles before, or built a little at a time. either way isn't going to be cheap! an accurate long distance rifle is about many things, barrel, stock, trigger, action and much attention to detail. the scope for that rifle, can cost almost as much. then, most people who target shoot, handload their ammo specific to the rifle and fine tuned for accuracy. then even if the rifle, scope and ammo are up to the task, we enter the last element into the equation, the shooter. lots and lots of shooting.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you so much. How do I get to the introduction section. Sorry this is my first forum. I was told the less grain the further the distance is this correct. How far do you think I can get before doing modifications? I was able to hit 2 out of three pop up targets at 300 yards with open sites with an M16 so was hoping that 600 to 700 with a scope wasn't out of the question.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #4

on the home page click on forums, then scroll down and click on introductions.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud View Post
Thank you so much. How do I get to the introduction section. Sorry this is my first forum. I was told the less grain the further the distance is this correct. How far do you think I can get before doing modifications? I was able to hit 2 out of three pop up targets at 300 yards with open sites with an M16 so was hoping that 600 to 700 with a scope wasn't out of the question.
not always true about the bullet weight. lighter bullet will generally goes faster, but is more prone to wind, heavier bullet will not be moved as much as a lighter bullet. as far as how far before modifications, no way of knowing as every gun will behave differently even the the same brand and model.

my current project target rifle, is a Remington M700 action, being barreled by McGowan with a 26" heavy, fluted barrel, fitted with a muzzle brake, chambered in 6.5mm-06. my hope is when finished, it will be capable of a 1000 yards.