Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need opinions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need opinions.

Hi,

I've recently been looking for a new gun. I think I’ve about narrowed it down to two choices. Either something bolt action around a .308 caliber such as a Savage, Remington, Marlin, etc. or a semi-auto pistol caliber carbine such as a Hi-Point, Kel-Tec, Beretta, etc. The bolt action would be nice because of the range as well as its ability to hunt but that doesn’t completely rule out the pistol carbine for me basically just because I think they’re cool. What I’d like to know is what’s your opinion on which one my money would be better spent on? Like I said being able to hunt gives the bolt action a slight edge but what it comes down to for me is having fun. Either gun I choose will be seeing far more range time than hunting, (as if the carbine could hunt anything worthwhile lol) about 90% of the shots fired will be at a range. I am on a budget but I’m open to all suggestions. And if anyone has a suggestion as to another type of gun that may be more fun than either of these two I’d love to hear it, just remember I’m not rich by any means

Thanks to all who reply in advance. I appreciate the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

two circles of thoughts.

1. 308 bolt rifle while ammo is pricier it takes longer to shoot your ammo through a bolt gun.

2. 9mm carbine ammo is much cheaper but you can go through your supply extremely rapidly.

ultimately its up to you but dont forget with a bolt gun your gonna need a scope as well.

my personal pref would be the bolt gun in 308.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #3

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
two circles of thoughts.

1. 308 bolt rifle while ammo is pricier it takes longer to shoot your ammo through a bolt gun.

2. 9mm carbine ammo is much cheaper but you can go through your supply extremely rapidly.

ultimately its up to you but dont forget with a bolt gun your gonna need a scope as well.

my personal pref would be the bolt gun in 308.

What if it had iron sights??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1740 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 547

JP, I am surprised you did not tell him to get a Mosin. He could have both a bolt and a carbine for what the Mosins cost.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default .308

Generally speaking, the .308 has more knockdown power for hunting, is accurate, and fun to shoot. The pistol carbines are fun, but as aforementioned, are ammo eaters. The .308 has more capabilities, hunting, target shooting, and plinking. The only downside is the expensive ammo.

the pistol carbines are a blast to shoot. you could hypotheticall go varmint hunting with a .223 one, depending on state reg, so its kinda limited in the hunting department. They are ammo eaters. It might cost less per round, but you are going through a LOT of ammo for a day at the range with those things, and will probably be more expensive than a .308 bolt gun (probably, thats just a guestimate). They have a lot less range from their design, but ammo is cheaper and they make a great plinker. Also, a lot of possible "tacticool" accessories.

Thats just MHO though, its not the law of the land, I'm sure that a member or two will disagree.

Mosins are nice too... if you like recoil. Great budget gun though.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
What if it had iron sights??
That's true but most hunting type rifles most people get don't. I likeiron sights onbolt guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Hi,

I've recently been looking for a new gun. I think I’ve about narrowed it down to two choices. Either something bolt action around a .308 caliber such as a Savage, Remington, Marlin, etc. or a semi-auto pistol caliber carbine such as a Hi-Point, Kel-Tec, Beretta, etc. The bolt action would be nice because of the range as well as its ability to hunt but that doesn’t completely rule out the pistol carbine for me basically just because I think they’re cool. What I’d like to know is what’s your opinion on which one my money would be better spent on? Like I said being able to hunt gives the bolt action a slight edge but what it comes down to for me is having fun. Either gun I choose will be seeing far more range time than hunting, (as if the carbine could hunt anything worthwhile lol) about 90% of the shots fired will be at a range. I am on a budget but I’m open to all suggestions. And if anyone has a suggestion as to another type of gun that may be more fun than either of these two I’d love to hear it, just remember I’m not rich by any means

Thanks to all who reply in advance. I appreciate the help!
Handgun cartridge chambered carbines ARE cool and I have owned quite a few of them in the past. My favorites have always been the Ruger variants, either the .44 Mag (which is actually one that is the most suited for hunting) or their discontinued PC-9 and PC-40. Two outstanding guns!!! I always end up selling them because ultimately I remember that just for about anything I want to do with a gun there is a better tool in my collection. You will go through ammo like crazy because it is just too much fun to keep pulling that trigger. They are though excellent HD weapons if outfitted properly.

If you are on a budget would recomend a nice .223 scope/rifle package from Remington, Savage or Stevens. They come in on the low $300s to mid $low $500s, can be fed cheaply, will not create bad shooting habits, are outstanding range guns and can be used for hunting.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #8

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
JP, I am surprised you did not tell him to get a Mosin. He could have both a bolt and a carbine for what the Mosins cost.
I own many rifles, Mosin Nagant styles are only one. I'm actually a Mauser type. All of my hunters are Mausers or a modified Mauser action. The 91/30 is a fun rifle, but is no target rifle. Can you hunt with one, sure as long as you know your limitations with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
That's true but most hunting type rifles most people get don't. I likeiron sights onbolt guns.
Jon, I am w/ you. I only have 3 rifles that don't have irons. Some are strictly iron sight, others have both.
.308 is a great caliber to hunt w/ and punch paper. Take a look at the Howa line. Outstanding accuracy and value.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.