Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need opinions. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-opinions-40999/)

Lance 04-09-2011 02:25 AM

Need opinions.

Hi,

I've recently been looking for a new gun. I think Iíve about narrowed it down to two choices. Either something bolt action around a .308 caliber such as a Savage, Remington, Marlin, etc. or a semi-auto pistol caliber carbine such as a Hi-Point, Kel-Tec, Beretta, etc. The bolt action would be nice because of the range as well as its ability to hunt but that doesnít completely rule out the pistol carbine for me basically just because I think theyíre cool. What Iíd like to know is whatís your opinion on which one my money would be better spent on? Like I said being able to hunt gives the bolt action a slight edge but what it comes down to for me is having fun. Either gun I choose will be seeing far more range time than hunting, (as if the carbine could hunt anything worthwhile lol) about 90% of the shots fired will be at a range. I am on a budget but Iím open to all suggestions. And if anyone has a suggestion as to another type of gun that may be more fun than either of these two Iíd love to hear it, just remember Iím not rich by any means :D

Thanks to all who reply in advance. I appreciate the help!

JonM 04-09-2011 02:33 AM

two circles of thoughts.

1. 308 bolt rifle while ammo is pricier it takes longer to shoot your ammo through a bolt gun.

2. 9mm carbine ammo is much cheaper but you can go through your supply extremely rapidly.

ultimately its up to you but dont forget with a bolt gun your gonna need a scope as well.

my personal pref would be the bolt gun in 308.

jpattersonnh 04-09-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 482415)
two circles of thoughts.

1. 308 bolt rifle while ammo is pricier it takes longer to shoot your ammo through a bolt gun.

2. 9mm carbine ammo is much cheaper but you can go through your supply extremely rapidly.

ultimately its up to you but dont forget with a bolt gun your gonna need a scope as well.

my personal pref would be the bolt gun in 308.

What if it had iron sights??

JTJ 04-09-2011 03:45 AM

JP, I am surprised you did not tell him to get a Mosin. He could have both a bolt and a carbine for what the Mosins cost.

easterner123 04-09-2011 04:25 AM

Generally speaking, the .308 has more knockdown power for hunting, is accurate, and fun to shoot. The pistol carbines are fun, but as aforementioned, are ammo eaters. The .308 has more capabilities, hunting, target shooting, and plinking. The only downside is the expensive ammo.

the pistol carbines are a blast to shoot. you could hypotheticall go varmint hunting with a .223 one, depending on state reg, so its kinda limited in the hunting department. They are ammo eaters. It might cost less per round, but you are going through a LOT of ammo for a day at the range with those things, and will probably be more expensive than a .308 bolt gun (probably, thats just a guestimate). They have a lot less range from their design, but ammo is cheaper and they make a great plinker. Also, a lot of possible "tacticool" accessories.

Thats just MHO though, its not the law of the land, I'm sure that a member or two will disagree.

Mosins are nice too... if you like recoil. Great budget gun though.

JonM 04-09-2011 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 482437)
What if it had iron sights??

That's true but most hunting type rifles most people get don't. I likeiron sights onbolt guns.

Wambli 04-09-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 482410)
Hi,

I've recently been looking for a new gun. I think Iíve about narrowed it down to two choices. Either something bolt action around a .308 caliber such as a Savage, Remington, Marlin, etc. or a semi-auto pistol caliber carbine such as a Hi-Point, Kel-Tec, Beretta, etc. The bolt action would be nice because of the range as well as its ability to hunt but that doesnít completely rule out the pistol carbine for me basically just because I think theyíre cool. What Iíd like to know is whatís your opinion on which one my money would be better spent on? Like I said being able to hunt gives the bolt action a slight edge but what it comes down to for me is having fun. Either gun I choose will be seeing far more range time than hunting, (as if the carbine could hunt anything worthwhile lol) about 90% of the shots fired will be at a range. I am on a budget but Iím open to all suggestions. And if anyone has a suggestion as to another type of gun that may be more fun than either of these two Iíd love to hear it, just remember Iím not rich by any means :D

Thanks to all who reply in advance. I appreciate the help!

Handgun cartridge chambered carbines ARE cool and I have owned quite a few of them in the past. My favorites have always been the Ruger variants, either the .44 Mag (which is actually one that is the most suited for hunting) or their discontinued PC-9 and PC-40. Two outstanding guns!!! I always end up selling them because ultimately I remember that just for about anything I want to do with a gun there is a better tool in my collection. You will go through ammo like crazy because it is just too much fun to keep pulling that trigger. They are though excellent HD weapons if outfitted properly.

If you are on a budget would recomend a nice .223 scope/rifle package from Remington, Savage or Stevens. They come in on the low $300s to mid $low $500s, can be fed cheaply, will not create bad shooting habits, are outstanding range guns and can be used for hunting.

jpattersonnh 04-09-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 482444)
JP, I am surprised you did not tell him to get a Mosin. He could have both a bolt and a carbine for what the Mosins cost.

I own many rifles, Mosin Nagant styles are only one. I'm actually a Mauser type. All of my hunters are Mausers or a modified Mauser action. The 91/30 is a fun rifle, but is no target rifle. Can you hunt with one, sure as long as you know your limitations with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 482488)
That's true but most hunting type rifles most people get don't. I likeiron sights onbolt guns.

Jon, I am w/ you. I only have 3 rifles that don't have irons. Some are strictly iron sight, others have both.
.308 is a great caliber to hunt w/ and punch paper. Take a look at the Howa line. Outstanding accuracy and value.